HybridZ

Z32 tranny mated to L28. Just checking.

pallnet

I wanted to see if there were any updates on this.

I have one Z32 tranny, a driveshaft and I'm about to score an 87-89 Z31 turbo tranny before this weekend. Although they look slightly different, they are basicly the same tranny internaly.

?????????????????????????????????????????

I wanted to see if there were any updates on this.

I have one Z32 tranny' date=' a driveshaft and I'm about to score an 87-89 Z31 turbo tranny before this weekend. Although they look slightly different, they are basicly the same tranny internaly.

?????????????????????????????????????????[/quote']

Is this true pallnet, or are you asking.... If the older Z31 trans are the same internaly as the Z32, it makes for alot more beefie trans out there to pick from.

I just can't belive the Z31 turbo trans is as strong as they made the Z32 TT trans.... but I learn something new every day.. :redface:

Is this true pallnet' date=' or are you asking.... If the older Z31 trans are the same internaly as the Z32, it makes for alot more beefie trans out there to pick from.

I just can't belive the Z31 turbo trans is as strong as they made the Z32 TT trans.... but I learn something new every day.. :redface:[/quote']

Just the LATE z31 Turbo's if I remember correctly.

Mario

The 87-89 turbo z31 trans is basically identical to the z32 trans with the exception of a few things.

• Case and shift linkage is different
  • Z32 has doube sychros on 2nd and 3rd gear (might be 93+ or something)
  • The gears themselves are different (counter shaft spins at a different ratio)
  • Z32 5th is apparently stronger (read it somewhere)

The basic design is so close its funny. In fact, I had a z32 trans and swapped the guts in to my z31 trans. I also swapped my z31 5th on to the z32 gears so it came out to .67 or something like that. All the z32 gears fit fine on the longer z31 main shaft.

I dont see any reason my the z31 trans wouldnt hold as much as the z32.

Yes I know of the trannys being roughly the same internaly. The RB tranny's fall into the same group. A trade a guy a while back for some other parts. After him and I exchanged many detailed photos online, we come to the conclusion that he will be able to use the 87-89 Z31 turbo I had. He pulled the front section (Bellhousing) from his RB AWD tranny and fit it to the 87-89 Z31 turbo tranny. He swapped the bellhousings with no issues in doing the swap. All three of the tranny's mentioned above share the same 10 bolt center section.

Now I'm not sure if the Z33 tranny's share this same 10 bolt center section. From the look of the case, I doubt it.