HybridZ

Holset hy35w Z running with msns-extra

Thumper

Well a few people have been asking me about how to put this turbo on a z engine, and as far as I know I am first. I got the idea from 73turbo240z and beat him by about a week. The turbo is off of a dodge cummings diesel and runs 18psi stock. They have been known to be pushed up to 28psi on a 5.9l v8. Alot of volvo's and 4cyl mustang owners run these on there engines.

With a very rough tune on my megasquirt I get 12psi of boost in 3rd gear at 3100-3150rpms. I can run the stock 7psi, but at 5500rpms+ I have alittle bit of boost creep but it is mostly due to me running the stock 280zx t3 wastegate at a bad angle to the flapper so it does not open all the way.

The modifications that are needed to make this turbo work in a z are a different wastegate mounted on turbo since the stock one opens up at 18psi, retap thread holes in turbo for stock oil line or get custom oil lines, new downpipe, new hot side intercooler pipe, and you need to drill the threads out two out of the four mounting holes. The other two bolt holes are already a perfect match for the stock manifold. I have also bored out the wastegate hole to help control the boost level.

My butt dyno says at 12psi I have roughly 260-280hp. The car feels just as fast as it use to be at 18psi with the stock t3. I believe I can tune the engine better and get better boost response. I will post up when I have an update. I was able to buy this turbo with shipping for $250.00 So it is a good turbo for a good price.

i saw it and it looks great.

i wouldnt at all, never ever!!!! use the stock oil lines, no way near are they up for the task of a bigger turbo like that.

hows my LM1 coming out for ya? whats ur A/R's?

mike

Can you give us some more idea of the driving characteristics of the turbo compared to the stock one? Does power come on fairly linearly, or is it a big hit at 2900rpm? How is the performance above 5000rpm? Throttle response comparison? Do you know what the AR of the exhaust housing is?

Cool find for sure... and inexpensive. My favorite kind of mod. :D

On the driving comparision its kindof difficult because with the stock t3 I was running the stock ecu with 370cc injectors. My lag in first gear was 3900, 2nd, 3300, 3rd 2700, 4th 2500. I believe it had to do with me having to turn the afm to get it to run right with the bigger injectors. But the difference is the turbo spools up slower and hits softer than the t3. But it holds the boost perfectly intill redline the power never drops off. In a couple of weeks when I can get all the little quirks out I will dyno this and see how big a difference it is. Throttle response is better but once again I can adjust my timing settings to help this.

I am not sure what the ar size of the turbo is. I do know the compressor housing is 9cm. On the hx35w model the compressor housing is 12cm and is very similar, but inorder to run the bigger one you need to have a spacer between the turbo and exhaust manifold. I have done a few runs with this monster at 18psi and i just flys. I have only done 3rd and 4th gear pulls though. 1st and 2nd just spins my 225/60 bfgoodrich g-force sports.

From my point of view switching from the stock ecu and t3, and going to the megasquirt and holset was a win win no loss in driviability, but great loads of power. With 370cc injectors they will be maxed out around 11-12psi so you will need to upgrade to 440's at least to get into the efficiency of this turbo. And I wouldn't even waste my time putting this on if you had stock injectors. Unless you had 12 of them:twisted:

Very cool to see you've done this to an l28. I just put an HY35 on my z31 last weekend. I've got to fix an exhaust leak around the 4" v-band and do some more tuning still. The HY35 doesnt hit as hard as the t3 did but then again it wont peter out like the t3. What kind of AFRs are you running to help build boost? I've got some z32 injectors and I'm tuning the stock ecu. I think ill be doing the merc 420s pretty soon.

Guest 73Turbo240z
i am planning on using a holset hy35 or a hx35 on a 350 small block chevy, any advise for the swap? anything i should know about those turbos?

yea... with added cubes comes added CFM... screw the HY35 and get an HX35w... your motor will do alot more w/ the 12cm compressor wheel than the 9cm the HY35 has...

hell i have one for sale sitting on my shelf if your in the market, brand new OEM, not a rebuild, zero miles, all that fun stuff.

thats good to know, i guess i've narrowed it down to the hx35. that would be great to get the turbo from you but i probably don't have enough money for a new one. what are you asking?

i read that the hx35 is a non internal wastegated version and the hx35w is, is this true?

what is the wastegete set at on these turbos, and is it adjustable? i only want 7psi or near there.

Guest 73Turbo240z
thats good to know' date=' i guess i've narrowed it down to the hx35. that would be great to get the turbo from you but i probably don't have enough money for a new one. what are you asking?

i read that the hx35 is a non internal wastegated version and the hx35w is, is this true?

what is the wastegete set at on these turbos, and is it adjustable? i only want 7psi or near there.[/quote']

retail for a new one is over a grand last i saw, i'm only looking for $550 + shipping and whatnot.

the "w" on the end of the classification dictates if the turbo is internally or externally gated, so yes, a HX35 is an externally gated turbo, an HX35w is an internally gated turbo.

and no, the stock actuators are set for 18-20psi or so depending on yearmodel, your best bet is to get a HX35w, then fabricated a flange onto the compressor side which would allow you to bolt up a stock ZX actuator, or any other lower PSI unit. Ted and I both have proven the ZX actuator will handle the holset boost levels with little to no creep, so it's a completely valid option.

also i just remembered, the HX35 i have, i had the wastegate area portmatched and polished, a little trick we've done to all of the holsets were currently running, it's proven to provide very good boost control resolution.

Guest 73Turbo240z
i cant afford that right now but thanks for the offer. i will probably just grab a used one for a few hundred. thanks for the info i'll let you all know how it goes. (it might be a while)

look forward to hearing about it, also i should mention, as i'm sure others can empathize with me on this, you'll get what you pay for, so keep that in mind as you look at used turbo's... even if you scrape one up for sub $200, if it's fubared or in need of a rebuild, you've already crossed the $550 line almost assuredly