HybridZ

It started up! I wasn't there

I farmed out the completion of my car to a local shop recently because I really don't have the time. It's been about 3 years since I started it and it has gone one too long. I was so close yet so far away. It's a really professional shop that does some really neat projects. The car in the bay next to me was a 1980's vintage M5 with a T60 turbo that dynoed at 1000 hp at a mile high altitude! Anyway, I was called today and they told me that they had just started the car up. I was really proud because it was a motor that I had built. On the other hand, I felt like a dad that wasn't there for the birth of his child. Here is a picture of the mockup stage. It's a smallblock 383 with a little more compression than I would like at 9:1, 2 Buick GN turbos and a huge intercooler.

showphoto.php?photo=4970&size=big&cat=500&page=1

The exhaust and turbo plumbing has to be finished but we are getting close to going to the dyno--it should be a lot of fun to see the results. I'll keep you all posted.

Geez Boob Boy, If you'd lay off the Nip/Tuck and pick up a wrench, it would have been done by last year... :lmao:

Guess all these "make over" reality shows are good for business, Huh?

Looks good man! No shame in farming it out! :2thumbs:

Mike :cool:

Yeah, I've gotten too busy looking at boobs and I had to get this project done. I had been really dogmatic about turning every nut and bolt on the car by myself, but it just came to the realization that a shop could do more in a few weeks than I could do in years. It bothered me at first, but it was conceptually my doing (I did most of the problem solving), so I'm OK with it now. Besides, the techs are really impressed and enthusiastic. Can't wait for the dyno numbers.

I have been waiting for an update on your project, knowing that you had that TTV8 in the works; man, it's looking pretty good and now, it is coming very close to completion.

I'm doing a single GN turbo V8 conversion and shooting for a 'reasonable' 500-600 hp. I'm still far from finished on the V8 conversion itself, so I have nothing to show for it. Kudos to you for getting as far as you have!!!

:2thumbs:

Davy

I have been waiting for an update on your project' date=' knowing that you had that TTV8 in the works; man, it's looking pretty good and now, it is coming very close to completion.

I'm doing a single GN turbo V8 conversion and shooting for a 'reasonable' 500-600 hp. I'm still far from finished on the V8 conversion itself, so I have nothing to show for it. Kudos to you for getting as far as you have!!!

:2thumbs:

Davy[/quote']

A single GN turbo won't flow enough through the turbine side for a V8. I definitely recommend using 2.

Thanks for the support guys. I've had my moments of doubt because I had a perfectly reliable V8 Z before I decided to tear into it again.

As far as a single Buick turbo for a V8, I agree it wouldn't be enough. If I were to do it again, I would get a big T60 or something like that. It would be easier to plumb. It's not a cheap turbo, but when you consider that I had to modify the Buick turbos I had and then had to have them rebuilt, well it would have been cheaper to go with a new big turbo.

The plumbing is the result of trial and error. I tried different versions of manifolds, even welding up several custom jobs before settling on Corvette LT1 manifolds flipped upside down, with the original flanges chopped off and T3 flanges welded on in their place. On the exhaust side, the pipes actually come off towards the front before going down and back. The downpipes are ceramic coated. On the compressor side, I used stainless, leading to a huge intercooler I found on Ebay. It wedges right into the space in front of the radiator-perfect fit except I had to get the inlet and outlet side redone. It all leads to a turbo hat I got on Ebay.

As for how I'm going to get it to hook up, I have an R200 with a Quaife diff and 280zxt cv conversion. I think the Quaife will be up to the task, but I'm not sure about the axle shafts. If those blow up, I may have to get custom ones built-expensive, but I'm over budget anyway. If this still doesn't work, I'll have to go with the live axle, but I'll try not to, since I really don't plan on drag racing a whole lot (I may do a little import racer but kickin when the police aren't looking though)

Yes, I'm kinda sad that I had to let someone else finish up, but it saves my hands and arms from being scratched up and dirty all the time. My female patients didn't like it when I would use my rough mechanic's hands to touch their boobs. My hands are much softer now and the patients appreciate it.

I just said that last part to make you all insanely jealous. HeHe

Thanks for the support guys. I've had my moments of doubt because I had a perfectly reliable V8 Z before I decided to tear into it again.

As far as a single Buick turbo for a V8' date=' I agree it wouldn't be enough. If I were to do it again, I would get a big T60 or something like that. It would be easier to plumb. It's not a cheap turbo, but when you consider that I had to modify the Buick turbos I had and then had to have them rebuilt, well it would have been cheaper to go with a new big turbo.

The plumbing is the result of trial and error. I tried different versions of manifolds, even welding up several custom jobs before settling on Corvette LT1 manifolds flipped upside down, with the original flanges chopped off and T3 flanges welded on in their place. On the exhaust side, the pipes actually come off towards the front before going down and back. The downpipes are ceramic coated. On the compressor side, I used stainless, leading to a huge intercooler I found on Ebay. It wedges right into the space in front of the radiator-perfect fit except I had to get the inlet and outlet side redone. It all leads to a turbo hat I got on Ebay.

As for how I'm going to get it to hook up, I have an R200 with a Quaife diff and 280zxt cv conversion. I think the Quaife will be up to the task, but I'm not sure about the axle shafts. If those blow up, I may have to get custom ones built-expensive, but I'm over budget anyway. If this still doesn't work, I'll have to go with the live axle, but I'll try not to, since I really don't plan on drag racing a whole lot (I may do a little import racer but kickin when the police aren't looking though)

Yes, I'm kinda sad that I had to let someone else finish up, but it saves my hands and arms from being scratched up and dirty all the time. My female patients didn't like it when I would use my rough mechanic's hands to touch their boobs. My hands are much softer now and the patients appreciate it.

I just said that last part to make you all insanely jealous. HeHe[/quote']

I have a pair of the corvette manifolds and a pair of GN turbos but I'm pretty sure I'm going to just go with a single shiny new ceramic ball bearing turbo and do things right from the start.

Edit: I just realized that sounds like I'm saying you did it wrong, but I'm not.

When buying new turbos, they are for the most part very close in price. 2 smaller ones would cost much more than a single big one, plus I only have to worry about 1 wastegate, etc.

A single GN turbo won't flow enough through the turbine side for a V8. I definitely recommend using 2.

This turbo is certainly not a stock one, although you may be correct. I had lengthy conversations and emails with Scottie GNZ about 2 years ago regarding this turbo and what it could do. It came from one of his racer friends who has an extremely quick GN. If it can support well over 500 hp on a V6, why shouldn't it support that on a V8? Maybe I'm missing something here. Bigger is not always better for turbocharging I'm finding out. I'm not trying to steal this thread!

Davy