HybridZ

Hybrid Honda

labrat

I went to the import drag shows a couple of weeks ago with my friend, and got my eyes opened up for me. He has a 97 civic that he's swapped an 99 j-spec prelude motor into. WOW! 225 HP in that little civic got 115 in 3rd gear at almost 9K, still pulling hard, and it got there quick! I used to make fun off all the honda guys, but this is one mean civic! Not that I would do it, he paid over 600 bux for 1 motor mount. He has over 5K in the swap including getting the motor imported. Clean car though, without all the typical ricer graphics and mods. This guy would sneak up behind you on the highway, and give a hybridZ a real run for the money...

Bill

Guest Anonymous

Ahhh, but lets see him get into the Vtec powerband around a 90 deg corner... ;) Seriously though, the cars are plenty mean, I only like to tease the kids that think a chip, k and n and a wing make they're car something special. The guys that have the big dollar j-spec motors and stuff are as serious as we are with our cars and definitely competitors considering what they're cars weight. Don't take all of them for granted or you just might be getting farted on with that big elephant fart pipe. :eek:

Regards,

Lone

I give props where props is due...sounds like he's the rare 5 percent that has actually done more than an exhaust and intake rolleyesg.gif Wish I had that kind of money to put into my Z. I will guarantee you that the I6 turbo will give him a run for his money. Nevertheless, a true gear head will get along with me just fine.... ;)

The thing that got me is, he popped his hood, and it still looked like a stock honda. Honda valve cover, 4 cyl engine, nothing special except blue autozone wire looms over everything including his prop rod. everything looked absolutely stock. The only difference I could tell (and i don't really know hondas) is the idle. It rocked the car like a lumpy smallblock at idle. Smoothed right out at 2k, though...

Bill

Guest Anonymous

Ive only seen one RWD honda CRX in my life, that was last March (?) in Daytona Beach, FL for the big car show there, the little squirt had an NSX motor mounted in the hatch. Race only, but man i would hate to run into that thing in a dark alley...

• 7 months later...

The Prelude motor that you are referring too is the H22A and it is the bad boy of the Honda family (except the F20B in the S2000). Swapping even a bone stock one into a Civic woudl make it deadly and would rev all day to 8,500rpm.

Awesome conversion - and much respect to this dude.

BTW - Lone great comments - I could not of said it any better.

Yasin

Guest livewire23

We have several of those things sittin around at my local swap shop. Its their specialty. Right now they just finished a Civic hatch with a h22 in it. the car is externally all stock, e.g. stock exhaust. Its the ultimate sleeper. Although that civic exhaust is probably killin a ton of power, but its worth it. Its got some upgraded suspension and stuff to deal with the heavy motor (coilovers), and its really a beast. it gets wheelspin just from normal driving. And there is no way you could tell its a beast from the outside. The whole thing probably cost $5000, including the cost of the car, motor, and labor to install it. (The shop's doing it for some guy who just had a civic hatch and a h22 sitting around.) He's gonna sell the car though. :( I'm thinkin maybe I should buy a civic hatch and pull my prelude motor and drop it in the hatch. But I hate civics so much :evil: And I'd have a prelude sitting around with no motor. So I'd have to get a JDM motor for my prelude. And then my neighbours would kill me for having all these half-cars sitting around. And I'd be all outta money.

Guest ON3GO

my friend has a 1993 (i think) hatch with a J-spec H22A motor in it, the sucker is built too, has cams, taller gears, custom axles, slicks, no exhaust ata ll, has a header, and some other stuff, plus its striped.. that sucker flys..

its got a automatic ECU in it now so it idles like a drag honda, lol, but he should fix that soon.

not all hondas are gay, just llike 99% of them.

mike

Guest livewire23

yea, that auto ECU is retarded. I pulled the power steering pump and now I cant idle any more. I guess the power steering was smoothing my idle. :roll: now I idle all over the place, from 1k to 2.5k. And I can never get it to idle at factory spec. Im gonna need to tweak that.