HybridZ

Help me decide what school

Nismo280zEd

I can't decide what university to attend. Choices are between Sam Houston University or University of Houston.

I'm majoring in Electrical Engineering with a minor in Computer Science.

I can't really find much info on either in those fields.

Thanx guys.

-Ed

Hopefully have a degree soon :)

The best bang for the buck is New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, world class education in electrical engineering and CS! Ranked in the top 5 colleges in those fields in the country. Cheapest tuition around, low cost of living, excellent research college, and if I'm not mistaken has the most research dollars of any institution and also the larges land holdings since it has it's own weapons testing facilities.

Forbes magazine has it rated somewhere in the top 5 or top 10 colleges in the country.

How far along are you already?

I haven't heard much about Sam Houston, but UH ain't too bad! Im studying for ME, should be done in 3-4 sem.

The worst thing (besides the $$$) is the traffic, especially if you're going in the morning or around 4-6pm... but what else is new...

A big thing is to check out the area the college is in, try to spend some time there. I went to a killer engineering college in michigan, but really hated the city (Flint) ended up not returning after my first simester. Mostly it was that engineering is boring, but a part of it is that Flint sucks.

The best bang for the buck is New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology' date=' world class education in electrical engineering and CS! Ranked in the top 5 colleges in those fields in the country. Cheapest tuition around, low cost of living, excellent research college, and if I'm not mistaken has the most research dollars of any institution and also the larges land holdings since it has it's own weapons testing facilities.

Forbes magazine has it rated somewhere in the top 5 or top 10 colleges in the country.[/quote']

Institute of Mining is a great school. In fact, many graduates of my alma mater, Cal Poly at San Luis Obispo, have been hired to teach there. Cal Poly is consistently ranked among the top 10 engineering schools in the nation, my senior year it was ranked #1, baby! (US News and World Report college edition)

San Luis Obispo county is one of the most scenic in the world, the climate is wonderful, the people are great, and the business and english majors are HOT! Sorry, when I was there, the engineering coeds weren't up to snuff, IMHO.

Why not Tech? Seems like you already have ties to Lubbock, and they have a good Engineering school. And they are a reasonable size division one school with those resources and in-state tuition.

I have two useless liberal arts degrees, one from Tech and one from UT, but I had just a great time going to school at Tech. Stick with the Engineering degree and you'll never regret it!

already went to Tech hated it came back home. I'm around 50-60 credit hours depending on which ones will transfer. I can't go out of state or anywhere very far, A&M college station area might be freasible, but i'm prolly buying a house (hopefully) come this summer, so I can't be drivn' like 4 hrs to dallas or something like that. I don't plan on havn' a 9-5 desk job, my degree is mainly just to say i have one. I already own my auto business and the electrical engineering and programming is mainly out of pure curiousity and interest. I just want to play with cars and design some crafty ecu's and electronics and program some systems that are much needed in the auto field.

-Ed

A big thing is to check out the area the college is in, try to spend some time there. I went to a killer engineering college in michigan, but really hated the city (Flint) ended up not returning after my first simester. Mostly it was that engineering is boring, but a part of it is that Flint sucks.

Yay GMI! I almost went there, but the Flint sucks factor made the difference...