HybridZ

hydraulic proportioning valve

Nismo280zEd

So the front of the car takes the hydraulic line from the master cylinder then goes into a proportioning/splitter valve that is supposed to evenly distribute forces to the left and right side of the vehicle, well mine is putting most of it to the right(passenger) side of my car. A new one cost 230 bucks, so i'm wondering if i could use and adjustable bias valve inline? (60 bucks) to control left and right? or am I better off just junkyarding the part?

-Ed

BTW if you have a working one i'll buy it from you

Mark's right. The proportioning valve only controls balance front and rear. The front calipers fittings are fed from a common chamber in the PV. Look for damaged lines, hoses (possibly collapsed internally) and sticking calipers. If the caliper is sticking the pads will be worn significantly different from one side and the other (drivers side/ pass side) or you'll see only the pad for the piston worn heavily while the outside pad is barely thinned. Also, a misalignment or worn steering component canl be more pronounced in braking situations.

Mark's right. The proportioning valve only controls balance front and rear. The front calipers fittings are fed from a common chamber in the PV. Look for damaged lines, hoses (possibly collapsed internally) and sticking calipers. If the caliper is sticking the pads will be worn significantly different from one side and the other (drivers side/ pass side) or you'll see only the pad for the piston worn heavily while the outside pad is barely thinned. Also, a misalignment or worn steering component canl be more pronounced in braking situations.

Good advice. My GMC Seirra was pulling hard to the left so i replaced both calipers and pads but that didn't fix it. A guy told me to replace the hoses and that did the trick.

Good luck with it.

the car has new master cylinder, brake booster, lines, and SS lines to the calipers which also are relatively new (3 yrs old) They both blead off the same though, so I wouldn't think its the caliper? If the piece is just a T then i'll go pick up a fitting from swadgelock and solve that problem right there. I was thinking it was a valve for some reason, I'll have to look at it again. My car doesn't get driven enough to show significant pad wear. The only thing you can tell is more brake dust on the passenger than the driver front wheel only. I'll see if the local auto store has a caliper in stock, if that's not it i'll just bring it back to them.

-Ed

That valve assembly under master cylinder is called a Brake Line Pressure Differential Warning Switch. Its there to warn the dirver via a dash warning light when the brake pressure difference between the front and rear brakes exceeds about 200psi. It is just a warning switch and does not affect brake balance.

I'm not talking about the warning switch. I run an 83zx booster and master cylinder in my 78 280.

-Ed

Yes i realize brake dust on one side and not the other is a dead giveaway, but that does not tell me the source of the problem, just that one wheel is using more pad than the other, I checked the calipers today, that's not the problem.

took everything apart the last two days. wonderful MSA sent me the wrong damn wheel bearings. Cleaned mine and inspected them, they look excellent still, repaked them, got the rotors turned, put rotor and hub back on, manually pushed each piston back on the calipers, so i know they aren't sticking. Put new hawk pads in, bleed the front brakes.

No squeal and no brake pull, however doesn't stop that well either. I'll check the rear drums this weekend hopefully.

-Ed

Glad to see you got it fixed. My problem was that the "T" was clogged. I took a spare valve apart and found the valve full of debris (no wonder it was on a totalled Z in the JY)[edit: debris = caked crud]. If you are like me (and have S*** laying all over the place) don't attempt this w/o a spare or ready to dish out the extra $$.

Don't know if this was the problem as I havent' gotten the goat out of the garage yet. But, at least it's clean, right (will I ever get this one on the track?)

Wayne