HybridZ

It's been awhile since I posted, 292rwhp w/ T3

Guest Loose_Screws

Guest Loose_Screws

Went back to the dyno after replacing IAT sensor. Made 292rwhp after street tune with WB and three pulls during a dyno comp. Running an unmodified T3, FMIC with 2.5" piping, 440 injectors, P90 head, and MSnS 'extra'. The clutch slips in 4th and starting to slip in 3rd. I have no doubt a little more tuning will set it over 300rwhp. Detonation has yet to be heard...

wow... you said you have a P90 head... does this mean you have a different block or still a F54 and flat-tops..

also.. holy crap.. 292rwHP on a stock T3!!

How much boost were you running?!

Would you be willing to share your MegaSquirt n Spark extra files??

I would like to give them a shot see how my car handles it

Guest Loose_Screws
wow... you said you have a P90 head... does this mean you have a different block or still a F54 and flat-tops..

also.. holy crap.. 292rwHP on a stock T3!!

How much boost were you running?!

Would you be willing to share your MegaSquirt n Spark extra files??

I would like to give them a shot see how my car handles it

Stock '77 block (F54 I guess?!?!) and turbo pistons from ZX. Was running 14psi. Upping boost to 18psi did nothing, so I dropped it back to 14 to add longevity to turbo.

I actually made more torque on my previous dyno tune, forgot the number. But made 313ftlb this go round.

Guest Loose_Screws
very impressive, get that thing back to the track

Gotta get my new Spec Stage II clutch installed. The 240mm with ZX pressure plate ain't holding in 4th.

Guest bastaad525
Stock '77 block (F54 I guess?!?!) and turbo pistons from ZX. Was running 14psi. Upping boost to 18psi did nothing' date=' so I dropped it back to 14 to add longevity to turbo.

I actually made more torque on my previous dyno tune, forgot the number. But made 313ftlb this go round.[/quote']

wow... see that's very interesting to know. I definately saw that boost increases gave less and less power after I went above 12psi. Yet there are people who do seem to get appreciable gains at 15 to 18psi on the stock T3. Jersey and Garret76zt are two I know of. But yeah... I went from gaining 20hp per psi for the first 5psi or so increase over the stock 7, but down to only 10hp or so per psi from 12 to 14.

Guest Loose_Screws
wow... see that's very interesting to know. I definately saw that boost increases gave less and less power after I went above 12psi. Yet there are people who do seem to get appreciable gains at 15 to 18psi on the stock T3. Jersey and Garret76zt are two I know of. But yeah... I went from gaining 20hp per psi for the first 5psi or so increase over the stock 7, but down to only 10hp or so per psi from 12 to 14.

Well, I am no turbo expert, but I have been told the T3 is 'out of it's flow range' on a 2.8 when boosting above ~15psi at higher rpms. I have also learned that you can make a lot of boost, but are basically creating restriction to make the level of boost, and we all know engines make power through 'deep breathing' LOL! I have enjoyed working and learning, it's been a real experience. I also like to see the looks on people's faces when I say I am making that kind of power out of an old technology SOHC 2.8 I-6. But I must say that being able to control the fuel+ignition is a very large advantage, mainly due to ignition control. I also have a fairly large Spearco and 2.5" piping.

Next on the list will probably be a Cummins turbo as I rebuild the car. I hope to make over 350rwhp.

Guest bastaad525

there's no doubt that the MS is making a HUGE difference in the amount of power you made. It really puts into perspective how badly the stock EFI really runs... well not 'badly' per se, but nowhere near optimal.

You're the second guy on here who I've seen make really big power on MS, so for any doubters out there, this is not a fluke, MS will make a lot more power than the stock EFI, once could be a fluke... twice? not so likely.

I forget who it was, but one of our members here made 200rwhp on the stock turbo at stock 6 or 7psi of boost.... 200rwhp!!! I made that same amount on the stock turbo at 10psi. Stock boost should make ~150rwhp.

Now Loose Screws with 290+ rwhp at 14psi, when most of us stock EFI guys make in the 230-250rwhp range.

If I weren't planning on selling my car, I'd be planning on installing MS :D

Loose Screws - what about exhaust? full mandrel? Stock DP or what?

Guest Loose_Screws
Loose Screws - what about exhaust? full mandrel? Stock DP or what?

Hahhhaha! I made the downpipe myself, kinda scary. I made my own plate out of 1/4" steel and port matched it to the turbo. This sounds impressive, but the plate is still like 5"x5" square, not very pretty. I then took some schedule 40 pipe and sliced it up to make the bend and welded it up with my MIG (no gas at the time either). After that, I had an 'Alabama Special' exhaust installed, which is 3" crush bent all the way back, no cat, no muffler.

Guest Loose_Screws
Sooo what ya think about sharing your MegaSquirt n Spark extra files?!?!

It would only be good to get you in the ball park. I doubt you have the same sized injectors, turbo, and flow. It comes down to lots of street tuning with a wideband and someone who knows VE (little shout out to my skinny friend Joe). Joe and I spent alot of time tuning the car and he is very good.

On my old engine I ran my t3 at 20.5psi and 23psi. Yes I was trying to blow it up.:twisted: I made 275hp and 369lb-tq at 20.5psi and 280hp and 404lb-tq at 23psi. The difference was only 5hp but the torque went up 35lb-tq. Sure it was only for 1500 hundred rpms but it did make a difference. Your right though not worth it past 15psi for hp but if you want more torque then you might want to up the boost. Oh after running a month at that boost with a starion intercooler I still hadn't blown the turbo or junkyard engine. Although when I pulled the head the pistons had lots of detonation damage on 5 & 6cyl. My dyno graphs are in my gallery.

Nice numbers though. I would like to see your timing graphs cause I'm trying to figure out mine right now. Fuel its easier just hook up wideband and move numbers intill you get what you want. But timing for me is more like educated quessing. Thanks

I forget who it was' date=' but one of our members here made 200rwhp on the stock turbo at stock 6 or 7psi of boost.... 200rwhp!!! I made that same amount on the stock turbo at 10psi. Stock boost should make ~150rwhp.

[/quote']

That would have been me. 232rwhp and 281ft-lbs at 6-7psi boost, falling off to 5psi. Then again, the rest of the setup is no where near stock, so it's not really fair to compare with a stock turbo setup.

Guest bastaad525
On my old engine I ran my t3 at 20.5psi and 23psi. Yes I was trying to blow it up.:twisted: I made 275hp and 369lb-tq at 20.5psi and 280hp and 404lb-tq at 23psi. The difference was only 5hp but the torque went up 35lb-tq. Sure it was only for 1500 hundred rpms but it did make a difference. Your right though not worth it past 15psi for hp but if you want more torque then you might want to up the boost. Oh after running a month at that boost with a starion intercooler I still hadn't blown the turbo or junkyard engine. Although when I pulled the head the pistons had lots of detonation damage on 5 & 6cyl. My dyno graphs are in my gallery.

you're crazy....