HybridZ

Oil Pressure Issues!! Help Grumpy

I have been playing with my 355 Chevy for a while now and had an issue i have been trying to solve. My oil pressure seems to be way to high. It seems to be around 75 PSI on a cold start...but stays there. If i rev the engine, it grows to 100...maybe more but the gauge i got to test only goes to 100. The engine is warmed and it doesnt seem to solve the problem. I have a summit 7 Qt. oil pan:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=oil+pan&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp

and a Summit high volume oil pump:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&part=SES-3-60-08-035

Are high volume pumps suposed to generate higher pressures? If so, that high? I noticed that if i drive it for a while and drive fast with the rpm's up once or twice once warmed up...the pressure returnes to normal and remaines at around 40-50 psi.

Any ideas? I dont want to really drive my Z anymore until i get this figured out. Thanks!

Sounds like the piston in the bypass valve on the pump is sticking. Drop the pan, remove the pump, disassemble the bypass valve, and make sure that the piston isn't binding or have any debris in it causing it to stick. Also, what weight oil are you running? 40 or 50 wt single vis will do that, a good 15-40 is your best bet.

jt

If the pump bypass was stuck, it'd blow the filter and the sender right out of the block. It might not be opening all the way, but it sure isn't stuck closed. Oil pressure depends on clearances, pressure relief spring. I run 80psi on racing engines that routinely see over 7K in circle track using a dry sump system. I think the pressure port is down system and in clean oil from the filter so it'd probably be the pump bypass. There are typically two springs, low and HP. In loose bearing clearances, typically you have to shim the spring, at least I do to get 60psi, especially when using remote filters.

Poundz brings up a good point about the oil filter adapter, one I didn't think of, and it would be a lot easier to check that first. A stock bypass style has a port for oil to flow thru, while a non bypass doesn't have the extra port.

pic_007s.jpg

The bypass is the round part of the oil filter adapter at about the four o'clock position from the nipple the filter screws on to. If yours doesn't have the extra round part, it's not a bypass style, and could be the cause of the problem.

Heavy weight oil will give high oil pressure while cold, then drop as it warms up. Multi vis will give less initially, but remain more constant as the engine comes to temp.

I'm not suggesting the oil pump bypass is completely stuck, just that it could be binding when cold.

jt

It does have the bypass port. Is there such thing as a high pressure by pass port?? I can open the valve relitivley easy with my finger. I put a new filter on before i removed this adapter, but that changed nothing. the oil pump that i have installed is brand new from summit with less that 50 miles on it...Is it still worth investigating the valve on that?? How would i test it? Im really not looking forward to droping my pan again...anything else that could cause this?

This is what i have:

Valve open with a bolt.

Filteradapter1.jpg

Filteradapter3.jpg

I was thinking...My engine isnt all that ratical. Its 10:1 compression, Comp 256 Cam redlines at 6K and is mostly a daily driver. Would i be better off with a stock 4 qt oil pan and stock oil pump??

Thanks guys

My oil pressure seems to be way to high. It seems to be around 75 PSI on a cold start...but stays there. If i rev the engine, it grows to 100...maybe more but the gauge i got to test only goes to 100.

The oil bypass is not sufficient to 'blow off' the pressure being generated.

Are high volume pumps suposed to generate higher pressures?

Since they flow more volume they will build pressure quicker in the same engine. In theory the relief pressure should remain the same. BUT as in your case it is not, I have had a high volume do almost the same on 30 weight.

If so, that high?

Mine would get to ~80 when cold and be fine once warm.

I noticed that if i drive it for a while and drive fast with the rpm's up once or twice once warmed up...the pressure returnes to normal and remaines at around 40-50 psi.

Well that to me says it is FINE when the system is at equilibrium so the problem is simply when cold.

Any ideas? I dont want to really drive my Z anymore until i get this figured out. Thanks!

Two areas the bypass system and oil weight and type. I am lazy I say go to a lighter oil. also what oil filter are you using? Also post oil in there now outside temperature or engine temp at startup etc. Im sure Grump will have a detailed answer soon.

I agree wait for explanation from Grumpy before driving it.

Good luck

I have to get the engine reved before the pressure drops...then sometimes, it raises back up again...this is looking more and more like a oil pump relieve valve issue...

UPADATE!

I pulled the oil pump. The relieve valve seems to be functioning properly. There is unrestricted movment during the entire travel path. There is a purple spring installed in the relieve valve. Is this a high pressure spring? If my pump is working correctly...why am i getting 75-100+ psi!!?

Typically, I knock out that little wafer and spring, tap it for 1/4" pipe and put an allen head oil galley plug in it. Don't want or need any oil filter bypass.

The oil pressure sender is plumbed after the filter so I doubt if the oil filter bypass has anything to do with it. If anything it is a restriction and would lower oil pressure.

It's possible that the oil pump bypass is sticking only partially open, but your not really hurting anything anyway. The detrimental part of too much oil pressure is distributor gear wear and loss of 4 or 5 hp. You hear of washing the bearings, but I've personally never witnessed that type of wear, ever.

Why are your running 15W40 anyway? If you have that kind of pump I'd run 5w30 or 0w30 for better lubricating properties.

Why are your running 15W40 anyway? If you have that kind of pump I'd run 5w30 or 0w30 for better lubricating properties.

Im using non synthetic 10w-30 to break in my cam...I was going to start using Mobal1 full synthetic 10w-30...but now im thinking of a thinner oil. Is the reason that i have really high pressure simply my oil?

Pretty amazing it will spike to 100+ psi on 10W30; I was expecting you to say you were running 40W or 50W. I guess your options are to run a thinner oil, or change the pump relief spring. In the pumps I have seen that come with more than one spring, the purple one is the highest pressure. A recent Canton pump came with three, plain(lowest), yellow(med), and purple(highest). You can't really say a certain spring will give a certain pressure because of variations in the clearances and oiling systems. If it was mine, I would stick with the 10W30 and try a lighter spring, even though dropping the pan is a PITA.

John