HybridZ

How much are these wheels worth

These wheels are on a Z in a storage place, so they're not technically for sale, but the propreitor said i could try to contact the owner... the z theyr'e on is a rust bucket, i think it was an old street/race-car, it's got an imsa sticker on it, and a thick roll bar...I want your suggestions on how much i should offer to the owner of the car, or depending on how much they know about the wheels, how much do you think i could get them for?

they say carroll shelby wheels on them,

i was thinking offering maybe 3-400, but they're probably worth more than that right?

secondly, they look like 14's to me, what do you think

thanks in advance.

churchdatsun003.jpg

churchdatsun002.jpg

churchdatsun001.jpg

churchdatsun005.jpg

i neeed these wheels... otherwise i'd have to go with rewinds...and the rewind's lip doesn't seem as big...

Those wheels definatly look like 14's to me but I guess they could be 15's. I would offer alot less then 3 or 4 hundred. Heck you might could get the car for that price and part it out make several hundred bucks and have nice wheels to boot. Id say offer 150-200 you can always go up but you cannot offer less once you lay out the higher offer. Those would look KILLER if you painted the centers black and polished the lip on those things!!! Me likey to buy them new would cost a pretty penny though. They look alot like panasports and thus could possibly be racing only and not sturdy enough for street use.

I plan to run a tire with a good size sidewall, i'm for into low profiles, they're too much hassle, [my friend replaced his tires, at least twice in 6 months, from blowouts, pinched sidewalls etc...]would a taller tire protect the wheels enough you think?

:side note: if any of you guys ever make it out to oakley, ca, i swear we have some of the best roads around. I'm sure DaEvil [another member from oakley] agrees

If you dont have the money for the total rehab. Hit the centers with a wire wheel and shoot them with some vht caliper or wheel paint. Works great and holds up fairly well I did this on an old set of wheels on my altima and it held up great for a couple of years. Thats with plenty of Ohio salt in the mix and everyday driving. You can hit the lips with some 500 grit sand paper and work your way up to 2000 then hit them with one of the 5 dollar wal mart drill attachment buffers and some cheap compound such as blue magic and they will look sweet! Buy them for 100 bucks and make us jealous!!!

I've had two sets of these wheels. They usually are gold centers, appear not to be painted; anodized, maybe? They should be 14 inch and 6.5 inches wide inside lip to inside lip. The backside should be machined for about two inches. These, or at least mine, do not easily clear MM rear disk brake setup using the 240zx calipers. They do not appear to have positive offset. Mine have no casting mark identifying the maker. Both sets I purchased were on 280zxts. I think they were dealer installed.

I like the old school look and if the centers are painted grey, might pass for minilites for the street. What caught my eye is the plastic "Shelby" centers.

I paid $20.00 a wheel with tires at local jy, which is their standard alloy price. These appear every now and again on z websites offering wheels for sale.

There are a couple of folks who post here who are running these wheels.

Like most things, they're worth what you are willing to pay. If they are not warped, no curb rash, and unbroken, I'd go $50.00 each without working up any buyers' remorse over the transaction. But, hey, I'm the guy that traded a complete R200 LSD & late CV axles for a Nissan 240 "competition hood" that many posters here consider to be "butt ugly". It was a great trade. Now, I'll help you buy those wheels. If those "Shelby" wheel centers are in good shape, meaning not cracked, not too badly oxidized, and the crest in good shape, I'll pay you up to $40.00 for the four. Take photos and send them to me.

g

g

I really like that style of wheel. So I bought a set of Rewinds for my car. Your looking at about $50 -75 per rim more, if you have someone else repair them for you. I'd say no more than $20 per rim, and that's just to make them worth it. If you can repair them your self, maybe $35.

These also appear to be 14" wheels, but it's kind of hard to tell. My suggestion would be to get a set of "Rewinds" for about $125 each. And I would also go with 15' versions. It will still leave you plenty of side wall.

http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_product_details.cfm?CategoryID=1&ss_id=405

Look at the top pic. If you look close enough on the tire it looks like it says P225/50R15.Correct me if I am wrong.

For a tire of that width and profile to be streched on the lip and sidewall, I would say that those are 15X7 or possibly 15X8 which would be even better. I would offer $50 a wheel. Just my .02!

I called the storage place. "The car is not for sale." %$&^^%#&!!!!!!!!!! %$%@ lady wouldn't even let me finish my sentence... there's never anyone there, except i saw someone there once, when i was inquiring about an mgb gt there. maybe i gotta catch one of the worker's there...

it's sooo rusty, idk why they bother paying for storage.

i'll call again, when she leasts expects it.

yeah, i saw the tire size, after i posted...225mm is closer to 9 inches though. i don't know what width wheels you use under 225's.

churchdatsuncloseup001.jpg

dang it

what should i do? i want the wheels... ill check if they have a dog...hehe j/k

I've seen people put 225's on a 6 inch rim. Just because it has 225's on it doesn't mean they SHOULD be on it.

I had a set of mesh Shelby 15 x 7's. Heaviest freakin wheels ever. Had to weigh ~30 lb each. I mean they were HEAVY. Traded them to a friend for her 6 spoke ZX wheels that are 14 lb each. She called me the next day and said that the heavier wheels really made her car accelerate and brake a lot slower, but she wanted the 15" look and still has those wheels on her car today, 5 or 6 years later...

I called the storage place. "The car is not for sale." %$&^^%#&!!!!!!!!!! %$%@

yeah' date=' i saw the tire size, after i posted...225mm is closer to 9 inches though. i don't know what width wheels you use under 225's.

dang it

what should i do? i want the wheels... ill check if they have a dog...hehe j/k[/quote']

They are probably 15X7's. The wheels look like they are in marginal shape, a best any way. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Get the Konig rims. Brand new, and much lighter (I'm sure).

Shelby wheels were akin to today's ARE wheels AFAIK. Certainly not top of the heap racing wheels. When I bought mine I thought for sure CARROL SHELBY wheels would give me at least 500 whp and would "wow the ladies". Truth is they're just wheels. One piece, cast aluminum wheels.

Here is a link to MSA. http://www.zcarparts.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=25-1067&Category_Code=WWC19

This gives you everything but the tires. Not bad for $550.

I got my rims off Ebay for $450 plus $50 to ship them, then I spent another $50 for the Z logo's Z caps, Valve stems and new lug nuts. I would have gotten them from MSA, but they where jerking me around on an other order. After spending close to $4k with them in just 2 months you would have thought that they wanted to keep me happy. Any way they took care of the problem finally, so I'm OK with them again.

HEY ED THANX FOR THE LINK MAN! I was planning on going to my local konig dealer to get a price and order, but these rewinds come with a Z center cap how badass. Has any one ordered from this site?