HybridZ

L6 Induction Advise

steve72z

I am currently working on my 240-Z and plan to have it on the road in approximately two months. My current modifications include a non Turbo L28, 5 speed, R200, Rear Discs, New springs & struts, Half Cage (Just finishing), etc.

Anyway, I have accumulated a number of parts for the Z and thought asking advise on what setup to use would be fun and helpful. I have the following: Tripple Mikuni Carbs and Manifold, Cartech manifold W/390 Holley, and a Stock 280Z Turbo setup (Turbo should be rebuilt or upgraded) With a custom Drawthru manifold.

The current setup on the car is the Cartech Manifold with the 390 Holley. I have this on the Z in order to easily get the car running again to work out the kinks as everything has been changed since I last drove the car 10 Years ago.

What are your oppinions on how I should set up the induction system? I would post some pictures but I guess I am not allowed yet. Can anyone tell me when I can expect to be able to post attachments?

Any and all opinions and help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the info, I am leaning toward the turbo setup with the Mikuni's. I have heard tuning the carbs is complicated when the turbo is added. However, from looking thru the archives it looks like it is possible and significant HP can be made with this setup.

I supose as an alternative I could sell everything and buy the FI setup.

If you want to turbo the car I'd leave the Mikunis on the shelf. You can turbo the Mikunis, but it is a hassle. Search, there are people who have done it and all of them say that they are a pain in the butt. Use the stock FI manifold and get an aftermarket FI system like MS or comparable.

If you want to run the car NA or if its going to be a year or two until you do the turbo, use the Mikunis.

I believe the cartech monifold (single Holly manifold, for L28) had issues with the first and sixth cylindars leaning out.

Force induction on a carb enigne is difficult reguardless of what type of carb you have. Turbo is the way to go, There isn't much of a gain throwing a blower on there inless you want response.

I would rebuild the engine since I assume it hasn't been rebuild since it left the factory, You rebuild the bottom end for force induction. And since you have a L28et setup, you have most of the parts already. Issue I see is whether or not you have the L28et distributor and electronics/harness.

As another option, not saying its best solution but you could gut your triples and convert them to EFI, I've been talking with technicalninja about it, but have since decided to stay away. I think everything depends on whether you want to go NA or Turbo and go from there. Then again, I could make a short drive over to your place and pick up the turbo motor if you want.... ;)

Tyson

As another option' date=' not saying its best solution but you could gut your triples and convert them to EFI, I've been talking with technicalninja about it, but have since decided to stay away. I think everything depends on whether you want to go NA or Turbo and go from there. Then again, I could make a short drive over to your place and pick up the turbo motor if you want.... ;)

Tyson[/quote']

Hes running a L28. L28 originally came FI , most likely it was converted to carb.

You guys have a lot of great ideas. I like the idea uf using the Mikuni's as part of a fuel injection setup but maybe I would be better off selling them and using the money to buy the electronics for the FI.

I have a complete NA FI motor out of a ZX on the side of the house. Is the manifold on the non turbo motor a good option to use or should a turbo intake be used, I need to research that idea. Also I have a rebuilt an ported E88 head, a bare N42 head and two good P79 heads. I have read that a non turbo motor can be used in a turbo application if the right head is used in conjuction with a metal gasket. Any ideas?

Oh and the L28 engines I have are not Turbo Motors, I wish they were.

Tfreer85 If I have some parts you could use let me know as I am willing to sell some in order to finance my project. You can check out the half cage which should be completed tomorrow. I must say it looks very nice and I would like to post the pics but I am not allowed yet.

You guys have a lot of great ideas. I like the idea uf using the Mikuni's as part of a fuel injection setup but maybe I would be better off selling them and using the money to buy the electronics for the FI.

I have a complete NA FI motor out of a ZX on the side of the house. Is the manifold on the non turbo motor a good option to use or should a turbo intake be used' date=' I need to research that idea. Also I have a rebuilt an ported E88 head, a bare N42 head and two good P79 heads. I have read that a non turbo motor can be used in a turbo application if the right head is used in conjuction with a metal gasket. Any ideas?

Oh and the L28 engines I have are not Turbo Motors, I wish they were.

Tfreer85 If I have some parts you could use let me know as I am willing to sell some in order to finance my project. You can check out the half cage which should be completed tomorrow. I must say it looks very nice and I would like to post the pics but I am not allowed yet.[/quote']

You can use the NA L28 for turbo application. Nissan used the same engine block for both NA/turbo.

The things that are different on the engine are: the distributor, oil pump, oil cooler, electronics, injectors, head and chamber compression.

That is why some people say you can swap head/gasket for turbo app, certain combos lowers the compression. I don't think just swapping out the head/gasket is a good idea, inless you are going to swap out injectors for bigger ones. Even then theres no garrentee how long the bottom end will last.