HybridZ

Rb26 Twing Turbos On L28

dj paul

Hey i know this has probobly been asked before, but i couldn't find it with the search. in my long hours at work. (10-7). i come up with various routes and exotic setups for my Z. I have an L28 motor with flat top pistons P90 Head Megasquirt and 500cc injectors and NPR intercooler. Im wondering if this setup would be enough airflow to push two r32's. I could not find the compressor maps for this. Thanks.

I might have the compressor maps in an issue of "GTR magazine" at home. I'm in Tokyo right now and will be for a couple days....I'll post when I get home.

Hey i know this has probobly been asked before, but i couldn't find it with the search. in my long hours at work. (10-7). i come up with various routes and exotic setups for my Z. I have an L28 motor with flat top pistons P90 Head Megasquirt and 500cc injectors and NPR intercooler. Im wondering if this setup would be enough airflow to push two r32's. I could not find the compressor maps for this. Thanks.

thaggard had a twin turbo custom set up, I believe there are pic's floating around here and on his site, and the rb is only 2.6 liters and the 2.8 is well 2.8, untill you overbore and stroke it! so the stock RB twins should be a decent fit with a custom manifold

Im not a turbo expert but i made 392RWHP with stock rb26 turbos at 15 PSI and 352RWHP at 8psi.

i think they would do good on an L-28. If you get a set make sure you get a non ceramic wheel turbos. they dont take anymore then 15 PSI for long

im not sure man. Does anyone know what kind of turbos these actually are? im trying to go ebay to just buy two of the same turbos, or could i buy one big and one small or something? im just rambling on basically but that would be possible wouldnt it? with right plumbing. oh and by the way, i was just looking at ebay, would these ebay special turbo chargers be ok for what im doing? i dont plan on ever going over 18 pounds and probobly wont even go over 14. it says they has forged turbine wheels or something. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-T3-T4-T04E-Turbocharger-A-R-63-stage3-turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQitemZ8022414491QQrdZ1

i know a garrett or something would probobly be better, but i want .63 a/r compressor and stuff. and that was around 500 bucks. this is a little under 300. is that 200 extra really worth it for the name? or do you all think the quality is much much better. im hoping someone has gone this ebay route. id rather not have an internal wastegate which this one looks like it has, but i guess that eases plumbing. oh and one of these would be for a single turbo.

thanks guys. around t25s you say? yes ive heard that steel wheels would be the way to go with them. 300kw is around 411 horsepower correct? that would be plenty for me. i know i would get great responce in the lower rpm. but ive heard small turbos can be a restriction at high rpm. would this be a problem for me? i like to go fast on the highway. or would it just be so cool and fun that i wouldnt care/notice. oh and thanks for the insight on the ebay turbos. the one i was looking at did not look that bad but yes, i was thinking of stuff like that. i will go name brand. thanks

paul

Oh, and i was wondering. does anyone have or is able to make the manifold i would need? if not how would i set this up. i believe that this would be the hardest part. im sure a skyline manifold does not match up. but that would be great if it did! but anyways, anyone know about that part of it? I found a replica of the Trust Twin Turbo manifold. would this fit on our motor? http://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1036&osCsid=f8b3dd7285e674665bf4ce79d21b5cc5

Just in case you didnt notice that exhaust manifold is for a Toyota Supra 7MGTE engine.

Totally different beast. My best advice to you as far as getting a exhaust manifold built is to do ask around at some of the speed/tuner shops in your area. Find out who is the guy who makes all of the custom headers for that crowd. Then go see him, talk to him and see what kind of work he does. That is what I did and I found an excellent fabricator for my turbo/exhaust upgrade project. It takes some time and effort but when you find that guy it will be worth it.

Good luck in your quest!!!

By this, I would say that the turbines get a little inefficient above around 360 RWHP on an L28. If you double the manifold pressure, you should see more than a 40HP gain if they were still running reasonably efficiently (but that's my belief anyway...)

I looked for that Turbo map.....I thought I knew which book it was in, but I was wrong. I'll keep looking to see what I can find......

As for the stocks, I've been told by a number of people that the ceramic wheels in the R32 are good for around 1.0 bar. Around 1.2-1.3 you stand a good chance of spitting a wheel out your exhaust......

Single vs Twin....I don't know. I see just as many cars set up with twin 3037s as I see with a T88.....

Im not a turbo expert but i made 392RWHP with stock rb26 turbos at 15 PSI and 352RWHP at 8psi.

i think they would do good on an L-28. If you get a set make sure you get a non ceramic wheel turbos. they dont take anymore then 15 PSI for long

i can stand not going over 14-15 psi if i had twin turbos. but i might as well just upgrade the wheels. im fine with the plumbing, i know its a pain in the a$$. but thanks for the info on trying to find a person to make a manifold around my town. i just found out the turbos are t28s. i know how to map my engine on one turbos compressor map, but when you do two, what happens? and also would t28's be good for my motor? i probobly wont be going over 15 psi, and i have the specs listed above. L28 motor with flat top pistons, rebuilt p90 head, 500cc injectors, megasquirt efi.

Twin turbos have theoretically better performance (over non-twin scroll single turbochargers)' date=' but you have to route twice as many oil feeds, oil returns, water feeds, water returns, air inlets, intercooler piping, dump pipes.

Headfuckmuchness.

Dave[/quote']

Very true. Until you have witnessesed or done the plumbing/packaging of a new construction Twin set-up...your only GUESSING that you can pull it off.

Just ask James Thagard since he one of the very few to accomplish it with dyno and track results. He's a busy man like most of us, but its not for the light hearted natured car guy. I have been fabbing Stainless parts for many years and have to say its somewhat daunting of a task.

Just getting the ex. manifold properly aligned to allow packaging and tube approach is TIGHT ! Then there is all of the clearance angles etc.

I opted out and went efficient single in order to simplify life and move on to bigger projects at hand.

Remember too, that two of turbos........equals TWO of everything cost wise....and double the labor ....MINIMUM.

Draw the whole image of it on paper then shop for all of the componets and see what it'll cost JUST in parts......blow off valves,hose t-bolt clamps,silicone conectors and elbows,aluminum tubing, custom IC,wastegates,Stainless steel flanges to cover all points etc.$$$$$$$ on and on.

But ...in the end ,what a mess or.....work of art ! Whichever applies .

I always go for the unusual if I can .Best of Luck

Vinny 8)