HybridZ

Johns Cars Ls1 Kit Crossmember

I Just Purchased The Jci Kit And I Was Looking At The Transmission Crossmember And It Looks Fine But The Outer Mounting Brackets Are About Half The Thickness Of The Crossmember Itself. Has Anyone Had A Problem With This Pieces Structural Integrity? I Was Just Wondering When Putting That Much Torque To It If There Will Be A Problem

That was the same problem I had with the 240 rails, they didn't yet have them produced but neglected to tell me they would be close to two months before I got them.

Ended up building my own and was glad I did once I got theirs.

Headers are uncoated, don't have the EGR port, I don't think any of the aftermarket ones have a provision for that.

Think everyone deletes that in the computer programming.

There are bungs for the O2 sensors but they aren't welded in, think they send them to give you the options to use or not.

They are 330 from JCI, how about 280, save you fifty bucks.

You can email me directly if you like, stevejjohnson@cox.net

Steve

Hello there Quick240Z did you happen to make plans for that cross member? What transmissions will it work with and do you think it will also fit the 280Z (it appears that it should). Very beefy - I like it!.

Robert

The crossmember was custom made to mount to my subframe connectors. Sorry no plans for it but it really isn't too complicated. You can look in my member gallery to see all my pics.

bimmertech, do you have a 240 or 280? originally jci sent me a 280 trans mount which will NOT work on the 240's. had to send it back so they could send the correct one. i get it back from the powdercoater today [along with some other stuff] and will try to post a pic tomorrow. the 240 mount bolts to the floorpan vs. the inboard vertical portion of the floor pan support rails like on the 280.

Doesn't look exactly like it but close. I wished the JTR one could have had the loops for the exhaust inverted, it would have been easier to route the exhaust and it wouldn't be the lowest part of the car... then again having the lowest part fo the car be 3/8" thick steel is a good thing. But whenever I scrape anything 9/10 it's that crossmember. Works good though.

If you think about the way torque is applied and the direction the transmission it going to try and move then you realize it is a left to right movement. The mount that john sells is as wide as the frame rails, and the thin pcs that bolt to the rails just hold it in place. It the tranny tries to move then the mount pushed on the inside of the frame rail. Sounds really sturdy to me.

Now the design that bolts from the bottom has to absorb all the torque at the bolt interface. I think that as time goes by it will see more wear and posibility of movement than Johns does.

Doesn't look exactly like it but close. I wished the JTR one could have had the loops for the exhaust inverted, it would have been easier to route the exhaust and it wouldn't be the lowest part of the car... then again having the lowest part fo the car be 3/8" thick steel is a good thing. But whenever I scrape anything 9/10 it's that crossmember. Works good though.

Sounds like you have it upside down.

The crossmember is mounted up-side-down. To give you credit, if you tried to install it for what it was designed for (the T5 or 700-R4), the transmission would be too high.

The T56 has the mount positioned about 2" rearward, and 1-1/4" lower than the mount for the T5.

We haven't yet made a crossmember for the T56, but in the book, we show a crossmember that is nothing more than flat bar, with spacers, for mounting the T56.

With the increased interest in the T56, we will probably have something available in the first quarter of 2006.

Well, at least with the modified torque tube design, I don't have to worry about whether the mount is upside down or not. It is a bit spooky, though, to realize that the C channel is only about 3/32" from the edge of the U-joints on the drive shaft. 20,000 miles and no problems yet, though.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes I'm pretty sure this is upside down. Looks like a pretty good job of getting the pipes tucked though.

E004_Exhaust_Install.JPG

That's funny, I figured as much but it wouldn't fit that far back inside the tunnel and there was no good picture in the book of how it goes, at least I didnt' see it. If I had put it right side up it would have required cutting out the body there and rewelding the peice into place (too much to hammer to fit). I didn't like that solution, plus the transmission mount was too wide I think to fit on that bracket.

I did have to put about 1" of spacer between the mount and this cross member so the height of the trans with a stock mount might have worked here with this cross member inverted... Maybe I'll look into this further someday it does scrape on tall speedbumps regardless of how slow I drive over them. It's about 4" off the ground there.

I will look at it again. In my case I do not believe it put it "upside down" because it works like this. I think I might make my own bracket to fit better.

Thanks!