HybridZ

for those that asked about my garage project

grumpyvette

Nicely done grumpy. And your advice about PLANNING is spot on. I'm in the middle of my plan right now and I'm happy to say, I'm a little ahead of schedule er' able to handle more severe mistakes than originally planned... ;)

I haven't bought the property yet, but I've got enough saved at this point to jump on it when I see the parcel I want, which will include enough space for a house w/ traditional attached garage as well as the workshop where I hope to retire early and live happily ever after... building all the stuff that makes it all worth while.

Cheers,

WW

• 8 months later...

P1000311.JPG

I got asked what compressor I use, well heres a picture, I use twin 7hp/60 gallon compressors feeding a single garage wide run of schedual 80 1/2" PVC piping with brass fittings rated at 660 PSI, yeah! IM well aware you should NEVER USE PVC for air, I used it for 10 PLUS years ,in my old shop, my buddies used it for over 12 years in his shop,and its what Ive installed in the new garage, schedual 80 1/2" PVC piping with brass fittings rated at 660 PSI, if and when I have problems it will be replaced, I fully agree, if you used larger dia,or schedual 40 your just asking for problems

I've had pvc for airlines in my shop as well for about 10 years. I have friends with PVC airlines as well. I was outside the other day and heard a large boom and a lot of air rushing out. I went running into the shop to kill the compressor. a T FITTING exploded and took about 8" of pipe with it. My wife was standing about 5 feet from the fitting when It blew. We were living right that day as it blew behind a metal cabinet. Man she about pissed her pants and I can't blame her. Would she have been killed if it wasn't for the cabinet? Probably not but she might have lost an eye. there were bits of pvc shrapnel on the floor behind the cabinet.

I've got 150' of 1/2" galvanized pipe showing up on Monday.

Not trying to preach just passing along my experience. I would say if you plan on using pvc maybe it should be changed out every 9 1/2 years!!!

Derek

I got asked what compressor I use, well heres a picture, I use twin 7hp/60 gallon compressors feeding a single garage wide run of schedual 80 1/2" PVC piping with brass fittings rated at 660 PSI, yeah! IM well aware you should NEVER USE PVC for air, I used it for 10 PLUS years ,in my old shop, my buddies used it for over 12 years in his shop,and its what Ive installed in the new garage, schedual 80 1/2" PVC piping with brass fittings rated at 660 PSI, if and when I have problems it will be replaced, I fully agree, if you used larger dia,or schedual 40 your just asking for problems

I understand all the reasons for using PVC piping, it's inexpensive, easy to use, readily available and quick. And for non-critical water lines (aka a line that when it breaks does not flood something expensive) it is a great option.

I started professionally installing PVC in 1996 as a service tech and have since moved to lead engineer for a large industrial water treatment OEM. I have installed thousands of feet of PVC pipe and most of it hasn't exploded. Some has, I've had PVC flood basements, kitchens, bathrooms and garages. I also had some very nice sch 80 PVC explode in the Co gen room of a major pharmaceutical manufacturing facility. That was not fun. Maybe I have bad luck, maybe not.

I have learned that if I support the pipe, isolate it from vibration, never stress the pipe, never allow the pipe to be struck by blunt force and don't allow pressure hammers it *shouldn't* randomly explode.

That being said PVC pipe does become more brittle as it ages. As it becomes more brittle it can break where it has not for many years. As it ages it flexes less and it my experience, the older it is, the more shrapnel it makes when it goes. Also, brass fittings are fine, but correctly welded PVC joints are much stronger than the adjoining pipe and threaded connections have a stress riser that a glue joint does not posses.

Ok, so the bottom line is that I think to spend thousands of dollars outfitting a shop with tools and equipment designed to allow for safe and expedient work and then install air piping that will most likely grenade if/when it fails is not a very good idea.

May I suggest PEX as an alternative? Pex is a crosslinked polyethylene pipe sold most often in rolls. Polyethylene is a flexible material and will not become brittle and therefore is not going to grenade. PEX is offered by many manufactures and is available at Home Depot/Lowes as well as piping supply houses. The cost for PEX is slightly more than PVC, but it will bend around corners. I believe the slight increase of cost to use a product that does not fragment when it leaks is worth the extra cost.