HybridZ

Tire width compared to horsepower?

285/30/18's are the widest/shortest tire out there right now. At least that you can find on a regular basis. They are between 24.7 to 24.9 inches depending on the manufacturer. That is equivalent to the a 245/40/17 which is also 24.7 inches tall.

Anthony

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663

Thanks Ant.

Ideally' date=' you need:

Formula A

0.788 mm of tire for every 1 hp

Tire Width = .788 X HP

Fromula B

28.6 mm of tire for every inch of rim

Rim width = Tire width / 28.6

All formulas according Cyrus, for use on RWD. Remember the first word "Ideally", before anyone responds about what they can get away with.[/quote']

That sounds wierd to me, i need lehman help, so according to that formula, everything being equal or whatever, for 500hp i need 394mm of tire? a 395/40/17.. i dont think so. there has to be a point where adding an extra 10-20mm of width doesnt do crap, and its all about the compound/tread/sidewall.

John- please tell me why i'm wrong and dumb?

You're not wrong or dumb. I don't agree with the formulas because tire width is not as important as tire compound. For a perfect example look at top fuel dragsters. Using the formula above:

6,500 horsepower * .788mm = 5,122mm (16.8 FEET).

If I recall a lane on a drag strip is about 30' wide so the 33.5' of tire width the formula calculates means the dragster is going to take out the starter and the tree.

About 18 years ago I had a 77 280Z. I flared all four fenders and had 245-40-14s on the front and 295-50-15s in the rear and did not do coil overs. The car handeled very well with the limited adjustments that I could do on caster and chamber. The thing that most people seem to forget about tires is that the foot print area stays the same with the same compound tire so if you run skinny tires the foot print will be long (front to back on the car) and short (side to side on the car). This also means that if you are running wider tires then your front to back length of foot print will shorten and your side to side foot print will get wider. So realize the area of contact stays virtually the same for the same compound tire but the foot print dimensions change. this might help some of you realize how tire sizes also make a differnce weather you are racing on a road track, oval track, 1/4 mile strip or trying to go mudding. If you want some interesting thoughts, think about the jeeps thye used during the Korean and Vietnam wars. The tires where tall, skinny, and had deeper tread. This was to make it easier to gain traction through mud and wet land. They would slide sideways a lot but they would go forward. Just thought you guys might find that interesting.

You're not wrong or dumb. I don't agree with the formulas because tire width is not as important as tire compound. For a perfect example look at top fuel dragsters. Using the formula above:

6' date='500 horsepower * .788mm = 5,122mm (16.8 FEET).

If I recall a lane on a drag strip is about 30' wide so the 33.5' of tire width the formula calculates means the dragster is going to take out the starter and the tree.[/quote']

Now that was funny!!!