HybridZ

Why not use z28 dual fans???

For those doing lt1 swaps like myself, why dont people just use the z28 fans with the JTR radiator? I mean the pcm and harness are already wired and programed for it, it would be plug and play, why do people bother with aftermarket fans or fans from tauruses(??) and stuff

Cant we just make these fans from the lt1 z28s fit, and then just plug right into the harness and be done with it? Plus its dual fan so im sure it would be more than enough

This is the route im going, i rather do technical hacking to make it fit, then electrical rewiring to make other stuff work somehow...

Sure you can, I just didnt have the fan set from my pull so I went the easy route. My Taurus fan cost 25 dollars and fit like a glove and the electrical was very simple. If your going to use the dual fan setup I believe you will need a dual or tripple relay setup as compared to the single for the Taurus because the computer output is just a signal to drive a relay.

It also appears as though the fans on the Fbodies fail quite often.

The JTR manual talks about cooling fans...and specifically using a Camaro dual-fan setup. The cooling chapter is available on their web site: http://www.jagsthatrun.com/V8-chapters/V8-DatsunZ-Cooling-System.pdf

I think the easiest...and possibly best solution...is the Taurus fan. It's cheap, readily available, fits, and it really sucks good :icon52: .

I had the same donor car and tried to make those fans work, they are just to big to get both in there at the same time. You might be able to get 1 mounted but I don't think it will pull enough air as they aren't shrouded.

I used a Taurus fan, both Caprice fan relays and the AC relay (3 relays total) to give the PCM the ability to control the 2 speeds without having both powered at the same time. Powering both speeds of the 2-speed fan at the same time is a bad idea, it increases the current draw dramatically and actually slows the fan as the 2 sets of windings are out of phase and fight each other.

Incidently once I got it setup I've never had the high speed setting activate. The radiator from JTR is capable of keeping the engine cool enough to not reach the high speed activation temp. This is in south eastern WA where summer temps often exceed 100 degrees.

After market fans that are controlled by their own thermostat should work fine also, just program the fan settings in the PCM so it never tries to turn them on.

Wheelman

so how do you wire in a taurus fan to work with the lt1 ecu and wiring harness? I like the fact that a z28 fan should just plug right in, im assuming there are wires from the ecu going straight to the fan...

But then again, the z28 fans are like 34" wide or something, i dont think they will fit

a taurus fan sounds good, but how do i go about wiring it in so it is all automated

so how do you wire in a taurus fan to work with the lt1 ecu and wiring harness? I like the fact that a z28 fan should just plug right in' date=' im assuming there are wires from the ecu going straight to the fan...

But then again, the z28 fans are like 34" wide or something, i dont think they will fit

a taurus fan sounds good, but how do i go about wiring it in so it is all automated[/quote']Search for "Taurus Fan", you will find quite a few threads that cover everything you need including wiring diagrams.