HybridZ

The 240Z project car comes home tomorrow!

I am ready to get started...

240rearleft.jpg

240frontright.jpg

I pick up the car dolly from u-haul at noon tomorrow. I have to start looking around for my LS motor. I have decided to either go LS1 or LS2 crate motor. The LR4 thing was just going to be too much of a hassle...

Hello Scroggins-Dickey... :D

This is going to be a VERY good weekend...

Current plan is complete customized restoration. I found plans for a body rotisserie on-line I can build for a fraction of the cost of buying one already made. This is going to be my daily driver, and it will have cruise control, and A/C. All drivetrain parts will be new.

The body has absolutely zero rust. I cannot believe it. I will take some pics of the traditionally problem areas and show how little rust this NM car has... :D

This is the build sheet (at the moment):

LS2 with ETC

GM steering column

Howell custom wiring harness

4L60E built by Hector

Vintage Air evaporator

R230 LSD out of a Z32TT or possibly a built R200 from a Z32NA

2.5" coilovers on all 4 corners (200lb front, 225lb rear)

Custom wheel flares on back. (will try to stuff 275/45/17's under there)

Budnik wheels (Flare) 17X8.5's and 17X9.5's

MSA 5 lug conversion w/cobra PBR's and discs on the front and 240SX discs on the back

Autometer Carbon fiber gauges

Custom auto shifter with line-loc

I am building my own alarm system as well.

I want the rest of the body to look stock on the outside, but I will be shaving the hatch lock, antenna, thinning out the sidemarkers, and will try my hand at installing new flush mounted door handles with GM locks. All of the chrome will be dechromed and powder coated, including all the strips around the windows.

Like I said, I am building this to drive every day, and also to humble some of the stuffed shirts up here at work with their Carreras, Corvettes, and such. There is one particularly loud individual with a supercharged 350Z that will be my first kill after breaking the car in... :D

I am rambling so I will shut up now... :)

wow that car looks really clean and it sounds like you have your stuff sorted out. I think the late model door handles are a great idea, I've always thought that first gen Audi A4 handles would blend in nicely..they are proportional to the car and have similar lines. going to be nice, thats for sure.

That car is too nice to put on a rotisserie. That type of thing is usually done when replacing rusted floor panels.

It also makes it easier to weld in subframe connectors and remove all of the grime from the bottom of the car...

No, I am taking my time and make it all new. I figure I can build a car for less than $20K, that will smoke a lot of cars costing 5 times a much, and still get good fuel mileage...

Well it is all coming out. I am gutting the engine bay, and most of this stuff looks like it is still good. The engine smoked like a train when the car was parked in a garage about 15 years ago, and has never been started since. Oh yeah, the wood steering wheel goes as well and it is a PRETTY one. I HAVE to have a leather wheel. I will be visiting Momo's website.:)

The original owner was going to install the 2.4 out of the parts car that was supposed good at some point, but it has no air cleaners installed :icon52: when I looked at it. The OEM air cleaner assembly is in the back of the car.

I know there are purists cringing because of what I am going to do to such a pristine car. If it was a '70, I would do the restore, but a '73? Why are these cars worth so little for what they are? When I am done, I will have a supercar.

Anyway, I will throw up some more pics tomorrow after I bring it home. I have to get a passenger window working so I can seal it up in case it rains or snows within the next month or two.

Who's car is this? It has given me so much inspiration it hurts. I won't be using the L88 hood though

damn_.jpg

Cheers fellas, this is going to be a good weekend...

Who's car is this? It has given me so much inspiration it hurts. I won't be using the L88 hood though

damn_.jpg

That car was in ZCar Magazine a good number of years ago (mid 1990's?). I have that particular issue stuffed way away someplace. The owner is/was Canadian and it has a tilt front end, tube chassis front, wild SBC with 3 two barrels (If I remember correctly), etc, etc. The car was featured with two other cars: a red 240Z with nasty L6, and a more mile white 240Z with V8 conversion and some minor body mods.

Yes, the black one sticks out in my mind too...:D

Good luck with your project!!

Davy

Congratulations desert dog on your purchase. Yes, DavyZ you still have your Zcar magazines lying around:)Your info is correct.. It was the issue that was all about hybrid Z. I think Terry (Blueoval) has an article in that issue also. That black Z and Bob Hanvey's Z are 2 of my favorite Zs'. Desert dog please update as you do your drivetrain swap, I am gathering all the information I can for the swap as well.

Good Luck

Desert Dog,

Nice Find! Where did end up finding this car? I am not sure whether my location is listed, but I am also in ABQ.

Joshua

Do you plan on using the bumpers on your project. If not, I would be interested in them. Maybe the parts car has some good ones?

The car is finally home... :-Dz4___.jpg

nissans.jpg

z3____.jpg

z8__.jpg

z7___.jpg

z10__.jpg

z2________.jpg

I was very glad to find these in the trunk of the parts car:

grilles.jpg

More pictures later.

Very little rust. Passenger side front fender has a few perforated spots, and a very light surface rust is on the inside of the bumpers. Absolutely no rust in the hatch area or the floorboards!!!

YES!

Mike