HybridZ

What kind of rear end do you want to drift?

I've been toying with a Drift car for a LONG time, I know they drift the **** out of 240sx, Miats, 180sx, some BMWs, rx-7 and 944s... being totaly untrained in suspension I was just curious at what would make a 240-260-280Z into a drift car, and why it isnt a good drift car to start? its light and its got some decent HP and its RWD.......

Assuming that a good drift setup is basically just a very stiff race setup, correction invited? If that is right then your main problem would be the body, they flex too much stock, a stiff setup will just flex the body more.

The stock strut suspension while not being ideal should be able to be made to work, the usual coil over conversion with good shocks. The wheelbase/track ratio on the two seat S30 is about right? Or would the longer 2+2 be better? Not sure about that. It would just be a question of time and money, the body could be stiffened up no problem.

For anyone prepared to do it properly it should work, love to see a dorifto S30 in tyre smoking action :) Oh, and you might want to do a search, fairly sure this has been discussed before.

slow turn in has something to do with it.

you deff would want a LSD rear end so a R200 LSD or R230 would be your best bet.

a 1.5 way lsd would be something to look into.

you do want a very stiff car but you want no body roll and instant throttle.

theres a few guys building S30 Z drift cars, maybe they can chime in.

mike

:search: google is real good

http://www.driftclub.com/setup.htm

There were a bunch of others i couldnt access do to being at work. I googled drift setup and got like 5 pages of hits

A drift setup is basically the same just depends on the driver.

I tried it once in a ahchi that didnt have a difff and totaled it going around the third corner :twak: never drifted again :confused2

ok heres the scoop i would use coilovers atleast in the rear and use a 350 to 450 spring rate you could get away with a 300 maybe but if you want to get really sideways use a 450 and use a 250 or 275 in the front so you have pretty good control of the car when its side ways you would want something like a kazz 2 way lsd others will work but thats the best for drifting sticky tires in the front but not racing slicks so good street tires and in the back just some decent street tires as far as power just a good header and all the smog stuff removed and a 81 280zx 5 speed will work good long first gear but the rest are pretty close ratio and you would want to atleats use the strut tower bars