HybridZ

Best VG30-33-34T engine

260DET

I wouldn't really worry about the crank. These engines are so stout that cranks seem to rarely be a problem. There are quite a few Z31 guys running 400+ hp from what I can tell and they're still going.

The beauty of the VG30ET is that there are tons of them out there and they are cheap. If you break one it would be much cheaper to replace than a VG30DET (granted you are in australia and probably have better sources for the VG30DET than we do in the states but i bet the single cam would still be cheaper).

Another nice thing is you do still have the option of the DOHC VG's rods. They are forged and I bet quite a few companies make aftermarket rods for them. Those can be put into the VG30E(T). Then, with some pistons it would be ready.

The DET is definitley an awesome engine though. One of my friends has one and they're pretty sweet. A little heavy, but they can definitely make up for it with the power and torque.

Found this in a discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of a VG34 conversion and turbocharging on an Xterra forum, extract from a long post.

'I'm guessing the crank will come apart first. I've been told by many that SOHC cranks are short lived when 350hp is exceeded.'

For what it is worth, the poster seemed to have done a fair bit of research on the subject.

Richard you are obsessed with light weight engines. Additional crank strength, plus the best dampener you can buy, is more important to a track car's power production than an extra 300cc. BTW, if you're spending what it takes to make 500rwhp in a track car, I would be investigating the thick walled blocks, and either overboring, or sleeving the block and offset grinding the crank. Should get you up close to 3200 or so and still have a nice bore/stroke and also DOHC heads.

GT35R will scream away nicely with 3200-3300cc.

Dave

If I had any sense Dave, a RB30 would be the way to go for 500whp. But want to do a V6 so it looks like the VG30DET will be the best option, have heard good things about them.

You know much about the big Nissan gearboxes?

Found this in a discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of a VG34 conversion and turbocharging on an Xterra forum' date=' extract from a long post.

'I'm guessing the crank will come apart first. I've been told by many that SOHC cranks are short lived when 350hp is exceeded.'

For what it is worth, the poster seemed to have done a fair bit of research on the subject.[/quote']

Yeah, I read a lot of things where people said about 350 hp was the limit but the Z31 guys started proving that wrong a while back.

I know a fellow here has the VG30DETT gearbox behind a supercharged 1UZ. Unsure if hes run it yet but that sounds promising. I think they're in the indestructible category for street, but for racing, well.. depending how you treat it it might last a season or two. ;)

Look forward to progress,

Dave

Guest Jason84NA-T
Found this in a discussion on the strengths and weaknesses of a VG34 conversion and turbocharging on an Xterra forum' date=' extract from a long post.

For what it is worth, the poster seemed to have done a fair bit of research on the subject.[/quote']

I know of a few people that can speak for that being incorrect. The VG33 cranks are in fact rumored to be weaker than the VG30 cranks, which is why I would personally recommend using a VG30 to begin with (in addition to the cost factor of ~$300 vs ~$1000). The point at which the 33 cranks will fail is still "unknown" as far as I have heard; much the same as the VG30. The last built VG33 car I heard of actually sent the crank out the bottom of the engine with over 700whp, but it was a main stud failure and not actually the crank.

I may be a little bit of a zealot when it comes to the VG30ET, but in all honesty it's not without good reason.

I really wanted to do something with the VG single cam, they seem to be much like a RB30E which is a great engine too. Love the single cam simplicity, compactness and light weight.

But it was looking just too expensive an option, I've been able to buy a VG30DET which will end up a lot cheaper. Just have to screw a bit more power out of it to make up for the extra weight :)

All VG30DE and VG30DETT crankshafts are forged as well are the rods... been there, done that. :rolleyesg

yeah, no one ever went against the fact that those engines have forged cranks and rods that i know. its the vg30e(t) that people weren't sure about. it has a cast crank and forged rods from what everyone can tell.

• 1 month later...

I've yet to see any substantial proof that the DE(T)(TT) engines have a factory forged crank. If someone can prove that they are with some conclusive evidence, feel free, but I have yet to find any. Sure they have seen a ton of power, they were treated a few ways from the factory to be stronger, but forged? I'd like to see proof.

Also, to the guy with the DE crank... would you mind measuring and documenting the measurements of it? I'm very curious if it will fit in a VG30E. Please let me know if you have the time.

The DE(TT) crank will fit right into the VG30E. The major difference is the crank snout. It needs to be machined down to accept the oil pump, timing belt gear, crank pulley, etc. Some say to machine the pulley and such as well as the crank snout equally so not too much material is taken off of the snout.

• 1 month later...
Guest ZFetsh

Woo hoo, looks like I bought the right motor for my drag Z - I have a VG30DET sitting on an engine stand in my garage destined to go into a stripped out 4 seater, and I managed to get my hands on a Q45 throttle body in preparation for a barrel style inlet manifold

As for my other Z project, a rev happy NA in a hard top 2 seater shell, can anyone tell me if someone makes lightweight VG30 pistons at about 11:1 compression for up to 400hp???

Be interested in your proposed inlet plenum ZF, my idea is to use a single throttle body located around where the fuel pressure regulator presently is. I was thinking of modding the stock one so that the engine retains its stock look.