HybridZ

flyin miata chassis X brace...

man thats one hell of a x-brace.

i doubt u could make that one work on our Z's.. the underside is way different then the Z's.

might not be that hard to make, wouldnt be as pretty unless ur a crazy fab guy like everybody on this site is besides me lol.. but wouldnt be that hard to make your own.

i have something like that for my scion... JIC x brace... not as extreme as that though.

mike

While I'm sure it makes a difference you have to put it in context. There is a reason why they're putting that on a convertible. Instead of having a butterfly brace on the bottom of the transmission tunnel, you could think of a Z having a brace attached to the A and B pillars that we call a roof. I remember when I was working on Porsches the 944 convertible had something that almost looked like a double floorpan. It literally looks like a floorpan, then another one about 1 inch below the first.

Convertibles are notoriously flexy. Then again, so are Z's... I don't doubt that it would add stiffness to a Z. I just have to wonder how much, and whether it would be worth it.

Bloody 'ell! Times have changed back when I had my MX5 (proper name for a Miata ;)) the cross brace available was a piece of round tube with a bend in it to get around the exhaust. Did make a difference. That Flyin' Miata piece must make a huge change - well you'd damn well hope it would anyway!

Cheers,

Rob

Guest 73Turbo240z

for all that fab work that would be required to get it in there, why not just put in a roll bar with a good cross bar and some rear verticals... probally less fab, easier service, still does the job of strengthening.

Nice pic of the torque arm on that Miata.

May be overkill, but the thing looks to have some advantages. Looks to have built in subframe connectors, a protected channel for the fuel lines, and works as a driveshaft loop.

Not sure how easy it is to get out of the way for maintenance (the fuel lines go under the thing) or what it would do to the ground clearance.