HybridZ

My FMU broke, but I got to talk to a celebrity b/c of it!

nienberg.11

Over xmas break I went to take my car out for some spins when the roads cleared up. I had it a couple miles from my house and decided it was warm enough to run it into boost. As soon as I did, the car shut off. I pulled over, and concluded that my fuel pump wiring had crapped out, and rewired it right there, which got the car running again. A couple miles later, I stomped on it. It felt like crap, so I let off right away. It was sounding weird and running badly so I pulled over again. When I opened the hood, the fuel pump was straining like crazy, as it had not shut off with the car, being rewired. The fuel pressure guage seemed to be reading 0, but as it turned out, it was pegged on the wrong side of the needle, well over 120 psi. One of my fuel hoses was leaking so I pulled out the wiring for the pump and took a few steps back. The fuel pressure bled off, and I got it back home. Further testing with the motor off showed that as soon as anything over atmo pressure hit the fmu, it would lock at full pressure. I called Bell Engineering about this, and talked to a real knowledgeable guy who told me what had most likely gone wrong, how to disassemble the device, and offered to send me parts for free. Turns out I was talking to none other than Corky Bell himself! I've read Maximum Boost, and learned about 90% of my turbo knowledge from Corky, so needless to say I was star struck. I disassembled the fmu, and as it turned out, particles from my original fuel rail had bent the shim inside it, as he predicted. Corky sent me 2 more shims free of charge once I figured that out. Definitely the best customer service I've ever gotten. I'm gonna install a filter right in front of the fmu to keep this from happening again, and if it happens again, I'm selling the fmu and going with a 1:1 aeromotive regulator. And yes, I realize this is one more strike against the FMU for aftermarket efi guys, but the car really runs awesome when the fmu is working right, so I'm giving it another try.

Same thing happened to me a few years back. I called up his shop (it was called something else then) and started talking to the guy on the phone about their old Cartech kits and before I knew it, it came up that Corky was the man I was talking to...

He ended up going thru his old files and sent me a package with mostly all the orig. paperwork that had to do with the Cartech Turbo Kit they produced back then. It was cool to talk to "tha man".. :redface:

..funny, i just finished installing my used BEGI 2025 that i stole off of EBAY[82.00 shipped]...i love this device...easy to install and and its already made my remote turbo conversion "really" come to life...my car is an animal now...pulls so much harder!

glad to see you figured out the problem, I would like to try to talk you over to the other side....., you can get a turbo ecu for about $20.00 bucks on e-bay, I just bought another one as a back up for $10.00!! then i've seen wire harnesses go for under $40.00 and an afm for $25.00 I just put in some ford 370cc injectors, ($43 for 8 of them) a cheap volvo 740 intercooler ($75 for 2 of them) and today I was boosting 15 lbs with no knocking! Just a thought, And hey thanks again for all your help over the phone. If you ever need any help let me know........If you pay shipping I'll let you HAVE this turbo ecu to get you started!!! the guy on e-bay says it works, I have not received it yet so I have not tested it. And I have 2 extra 370cc injectors!?!?!?!?

Hey Phil, I'm actually intent on keeping the n/a ecu to prove that it's more stable under boost than the turbo ecu w/o aftermarket efi. I am looking to get some 370 injectors, but not right away. The car pulls so strong just as it is right now. Also, I'm gonna be honest w/ you Phil. It's my opinion that the volvo intercoolers are non-bar and plate pieces of crap. Using one can only result in big pressure drops across the ic. I already have a very nice aluminum ebay ic..bar and plate, 3" inlets and outlets, and a huge core. It just needs to be installed. If I need 2 of the 370 cc injectors you'll be the 1st person i talk to, but for right now, i just need one zxt injector, which is the one i got from autozone and apparently doesn't work. I've switched out the injector clip and spark plug wire on that cylinder and it just doesn't run. The car ran so great b4, apparently on 5 cyls, that I refuse to change it too radically for now. I will post some dyno numbers eventually, but for now I'm just a poor college kid trying to pay his rent and can't afford a dyno run.

I hear ya on the intercooler, I got them to resell on e-bay, one was perfect and one had damage, so I sold the good one and put the other one in my car, selling one made the other a freebe. I am looking for a big npr intercooler, but don't want to pay much over $100 I'd like to visit the dyno also, but I can think of alot of other things that money could do.

I have two sets of zxt injectors, but I need to put them on e-bay for some well needed $$$$$$$$

Guest bastaad525

I have talked to Corky as well, I was working with him and Trey over the phone trying to figure out a solution to help with the fact that with the RRFPR you get a really rich midrange, 3000-4000rpm, on the stock EFI.

They ended up sending me some parts to swap on my FMU to try and solve the problem but I never made it back to the dyno to try it.

At any rate, they were both really cool guys to talk to over the phone, and yeah I told Corky it was kinda like talking to a celebrity, how everyone at Hybridz (well the turbo guys anyways) preach his book like the gospel, he was pretty down to earth though and just very cool to talk to, very helpful and he seemed to really want to help to solve the issue.

I know how ya feel when I was first getting into turbo stuff I called them "Cartech" and the lady that I talked to said "oh you need to talk to Corky" He must have spent 4 hours on the phone with me over the course of many phone calls. I couldn't belive the customer service and the time he took to explain things to me. I had heard of him before but, did'nt really know how big he is in the turbo world. Needless to say I bought everything from him.

Guest 280ZForce
Same thing happened to me a few years back. I called up his shop (it was called something else then) and started talking to the guy on the phone about their old Cartech kits and before I knew it' date=' it came up that Corky was the man I was talking to...

He ended up going thru his old files and sent me a package with mostly all the orig. paperwork that had to do with the Cartech Turbo Kit they produced back then. It was cool to talk to "tha man".. :redface:[/quote']

haha...i'm running the all original Cartech turbo kit that was the t4 setup for the n/a motor, but now i have it on a et motor and a lil modified. i still have all the original papers from when 1 of the previous owners did the conversion back on the original n47 (r.i.p. dec 2005) in 1985.