HybridZ

opinions on this crate 327 on ebay

Not sure that isn't the case. But I'd still want upgrades in the rod bolts at a minimum if I was doing an LS1. Prior to 2001 the rod bolts on all LS1s are considered very weak links when adding power.

I found out the hard way! :shock:

Mike :cool:

A 400 block and 350 crank net 377 ci. In every test I have seen, the 383 (350 block, 400 crank) eats its lunch at pretty much any RPM.

Spinning any small block at 8000 RPM's does not do it any favors, especially if you are driving it everyday.

Based on Grumpy's figures, your 302 will be almost all top end with very little low and only a little more at mid. It will be a spark plug fouling stone...

Find you a nice 383 or even an LS motor.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive come to a conclusion...

302, starting with 180cc AFR's. Its kinda hard to swallow spending almost as much on the heads as i did the car.

I now have some forged pistons, and with the AFR's being 74cc, i will have about 10.5:1 comp.

My goal is not to spin to 8k anymore, that was a little to crazy.

A built 302 will not only spin higher RPMS, it will get there,very fast.

So, i think the top RPM of this motor should be, 6500.

I will still be able to spin up there quickly.

Especially with a light flywheel, and a nice balance job.

Grump, you suggested a single plane intake?

This is gonna be a daily, i maybe wrong, but arnt single planes more for the strip? i mean they usually dont start making power till 2,500 or 3k

I need a good cam, and intake selection...

Will a holley 650 double pumper (the choke horn is milled, so it should flow a little better than 650) be sufficient?

This is a somewhat aggravating thread.

Have read multiple threads where people tell you how much more expensive it will be to build a 302 vs. 350 and yet you are choking on the price. You have doubts about a single plane vs. dual plane manifold, and yet everyone has been telling you for some time that the 302 will have no bottom end (or at least will have to be all top end or it will be a dog).

You want the engine to rev quickly, but it will only do that if you don't have it in gear. Put the car in gear and the engine will only rev as fast as its torque curve can push the weight of the car. (And guess which engine, the 302 or 383, will have the needed torque?)

Reality's a bitch sometimes, isn't it?

The real gains in a carb are not in the choke horn, but in the butterflies, not that the choke horn removal won't help, just that bigger airflow gains are to be had at the baseplate.

Single plane, like the old edelbrock scorpion or any of the others like victor jr, holley, etc. will work fine, you just have to tailor the complete package to your drive train or visa versa so your "on the cam" more often than not. You'd be suprised how a 302 will catch 7K without hesitation and if you've never heard one, 7K in a sbc is a sweet sound.

LMAO@this whole thread. You want a 8k rpm monster but are afraid of a single plane? Reality needs to set in here that you need to decide what you want. Do you want a cruiser or do you want a drag car?

Do yourself a favor and build you a 350 or a 383 good to 5500 rpm with a dual plane intake, decent vortec heads, good exhaust etc and enjoy it on the street. Sounds like you want a top fuel motor that idles at 600 rpms, it simply isnt going to happen.