HybridZ

got to thinking......(uh oh)

hey guys, relative newbie here, at least to the z and hybrid z thing. i'm just barely starting to get into my small block swap on my '73 (seriously, all i've done is pull off the carbs while getting ready to pull the L24). but anyways, when i start a project, especially one of this size, i like to brainstorm a lot. i was thinking that with my planned-for combo (500-ish hp, six speed), an R-200, specifically the joints and half-shafts, wouldn't be too happy. however, i don't wanna back-half the car to put a solid rear end behind it. sooooo, i was trying to think of a way to use the original upper strut mounts to hang a solid rear end from on a set of custom coil-overs, and maybe build a crossmember at the back of the floorboards behind the seats and build a four-link set-up. any ideas? thoughts? criticism? anything would be great.

P.S. sorry for the long post. like i said, when i start thinking......

q45 r230 vlsd rear end will solve all your issues and you can stop worrying about it. Its bigger then a ford 9" and is virtually bulletproof on a light Z

Thats what I am working on right now. Got the lsd. Ordered the mustache bar. ORdering the 4 cv's. Still need stub axles and billet adapter and then its hammer time

Actually I don't believe this particular question has ever been asked here before.

Is it possible to hang a solid rear axle without backhalving the car?

I think Scottie's Vette rear had minimal sheet metal carnage. Try searching on that. Not exactly solid, but pretty bulletproof.

But by not backhalving you are missing out on one of the big advantages of a solid rear axle: huge, wide tires.

BTW, 500 HP has been done time and again with the R200.

Somebody had asked the same question before, but I haven't heard their progress. It sounded relatively easy to do. Maybe not using the original strut towers but welding a cross beam across the rear frame rails and attaching the shock mounts directly to that beam and the dif. You can even buy the whole setup from summit or jegs. Check out summit QA1 coil over conversion. Of course if you plan to run ladder bars, a four link, centering link etc. You have to plan accordingly

nazar- ya, i considered the r230, but the weakness inherent in an independent rear end (read-CV joints) kinda scares me still. it's not the differential itself i'm worried about. also, there's the fact that an independent rear end won't ever plant the rear tires like a 4-linked solid rear end can, it's just in the geometry.

pop n wood- i realize that 500 hp has been pumped through an r200 before, but i want to take my car to the strip when i'm done, and if i somehow do manage to get some traction (drag radials?), won't it immediately exploit the weakness of the cv joints? like i noted above, it's not the differential i'm worried about.

getz- hmmmmmm, didn't think about that. you mean weld a beam between the rear frame rails, and underneath the floor? that would definitely hide the presence of a solid rear, at least until it's too late :). that would enable one to get rid of the original strut mounts, which means fat tires, like pop n wood said. you would still need to build a crossmember in front of it to put a four-link though.....

alright guys, keep it coming! the gears are really turning now. and by the way, i did search, and was able to find nothing matching what i was asking about, but thank you for the tip DP351zcar

i realize that 500 hp has been pumped through an r200 before, but i want to take my car to the strip when i'm done, and if i somehow do manage to get some traction (drag radials?), won't it immediately exploit the weakness of the cv joints? like i noted above, it's not the differential i'm worried about.

There is someone on this board can't remember who for the life of me who is getting 1.3 60ft's with a r200 and the stock 280zx turbo cv-shafts. And he doesn't seem to brake them too much as in last few times he went to the track as far as I know they haven't broke. He posted a video of his run about a month or two ago but I can't remember his name maybe someone can chime in.

wow. holy crap. jnjdragracing, i've got to hand it to you, that is an awesome car. i for one didn't think the independent rear would stand up to that kind of abuse. thank you gentlemen, my doubts have been largely erased, and this will save me a LARGE amount of work solidifying the rear when it apparently doesn't need it. looks like a cv-jointed r-200 is the plan!!!