HybridZ

axles from mm came, 2 questions

Lunar240z

axle.jpg

[i've asked ross, but haven't gotten an answer yet, maybe someone else can chime in.]

as you can see, there's about a 3mm length to the slot when i put the inner....thing... on the axle, they don't really fit on all that tight either like the stock ones. [ i had to remove those with a rubber mallet.]

should that cause a problem when they're all assembled... it just doesn't seem right to me...

secondly, should i powdercoat them or something to protect against corrosion?

They should fit pretty snug. I'd e-mail Ross again on that one. I've used some green Locktite stuff for my wifes SUV CV's they were making some clicking sounds. come to find out that the factory recommended that the sevice tech to use dht esame stuff I used. The green locktit for loose fitting bearings and shafts. I'll see if I can find the bottle with the case number.

Another view: SwayAway axles design their axles so that the inner race can slide along the length of the splines for their offroad racing axles (the splines are about 3" long on each end), and they appear to work fine. With that said, it was recommended to me (by a Porsche tech for the Porsche axles anyway) that the inner race needed to be snug between the clips, so I measured the gap and inserted arbor shims between the race and the snap-ring. In my case it was about .025", but these shims I but come in many sizes up to and including .125."

I also wouldn't recommend powdercoating them. You do that and you're going to change the thickness of the material, and cause a LOT of binding problems. Powder coating in general adds a bit of thickness.

Plus those parts won't likely rust. Don't worry with it.

Mike

Guest JAMIE T

all steel rusts. 4340 will still rust. Powdercoating the middle of the shaft should be fine, just tape off the splines. They'll be deep into gunk anyway.

In the hardware kit there will be 2 new end caps that fit into the CV housing on the inboard side (differential side). They have a extension in the center which will keep the axle shaft from sliding back and forth.

I just put mine together last month.

Datsun_0420.jpg