HybridZ

New 2JZGTE intake manifold test fit

Z-Gad

Since I am pulling the drivetrain anyway (due to a burnt up torque converter), I might as well install the built motor when I put it back together... My engine build is waiting only on my pistons to arrive. They should be here the beginning of next week. Everything else is already at the machine shop. The head is getting treated to 1mm oversize stainless Ferrea valves, Crower springs, HKS 272 cams and a big time port and polish. The bottom end is receiving a new crankshaft, Eagle rods and .020 oversized ROSS pistons. ARP mains and head studs are being used as well.

Also, I thought I would do a little test fit of the new intake manifold with 100mm throttlebody, to make sure the monster fit in the engine bay, prior to pulling the drivetrain. Well, it clears everything perfectly. There are couple of new photos in my album..here a link to one of them :)

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=5579&size=big&cat=500&page=1

It is a Taiwan-EEZ Veilside copy. It came with the throttlebody and a modified 2JZ throttle cable. I bought it from someone who decided not to put it on their Supra due to fitment issues. The battery and fuse panel have to be relocated to use the manifold on the Supra...

anyway, it actually appears to be pretty well designed with large internal velocity stacks. I will have to do a couple of mods to it like injector bosses for my 83 lb Bosch style injectors and a mounting bracket for the throttle cable, but all that is minor. The t/b angle points it directly at the intercooler outlet, so I could not have positioned it any better.

I must say, I am surprised at how all of these aftermarket parts fit so easily in this engine bay... I have not had to "massage" any part of the engine bay thus far, except to enlarge the radiator support openings for the intercooler...

Damn Mike that thing is huge! So what is the prediction for what boost levels the new motor can handle?

Well Jeff, I am dropping compression slightly ... going from 8.5:1 down to 8:1. I figure any loss in compression can easily be made up with a little extra boost. I don't see why I will not be able to push a little over 20 psi on pump and 30+ psi on race fuel once the new motor is sorted out.

I realize there is plenty of engine bay room' date=' but how much work did you have to do to bolt the manifold to the head? was it pretty close between the toyota I6 and the nissan?

It'd be pretty cool if we could start using toyota aftermarket support.[/quote']

Umm u do realize that is a 3 Liter Supra DOHC engine correct?

I realize there is plenty of engine bay room' date=' but how much work did you have to do to bolt the manifold to the head? was it pretty close between the toyota I6 and the nissan?

It'd be pretty cool if we could start using toyota aftermarket support.[/quote']

Well, the aftermarket Toyota stuff bolts right up to the Toyota engine and fits nicely in the 240z engine bay... I did have to remove the throttlebody and the fuel pressure gauge in order to get it to fit and install them afterwards...

Sorry I missed you guys Ivan, but I am preparing for my multi-engine commercial FAA checkride, so until that is complete, I am a hermit. Hopefully, I'll get it done next week :-)

Thats one of the biggest manifolds I've seen in a Z, lucky you have that huge turbo to fill it with air...

LOL :-)

yep, good thing...

Anyway, car update is as follows. I played a little hookey from studying and dropped the tranny and mailed the converter back to PI for a going through. The tranny I took to a local trans guru to have it gone through as well. He broke down the tranny in an hour or so and took the time to explain each part to me as he wrenched away. He found a few things ...

1. The clutches for 3rd and reverse were burnt up. They were stock clutches and there were 4 of them. They will be replaced with 5 performance clutches...

2. The 1-2 gear clutches were already upgraded and were not worn out, but will be replaced as well.

3. The oil pump showed some wear, so it will be replaced.

4. Finally, the TH400 had the wrong oil pickup tube for the tranny pan. It was too short and under hard acceleration, the pump 'could' have been starving for oil.

He'll have the tranny done by mid week,and my converter should be here by the following week.

The porting has begun on the head for the built motor as wel. There is a possibility that I could put the new motor, tranny and converter in, all at the same time, should the cards fall correctly.

30+ psi and 9000 RPM here I come!!