HybridZ

LSD question..... short nose internals into long nose housing??

Mack

For the intended use, repeat, for the intended use, the aluminium finned cover should be sufficient, that plus use synthetic oil. I'm not up with those covers but some/all increase the oil capacity too?

If you were really concerned it should not be too hard to drill and tap a lole in the cover for a temp gauge sender. And do one for the gearbox at the same time :)

The European market Z32 diffs had a oil cooling setup with a pump and "radiator" as OEM equipment. It is interesting it was only offered for that market.

To me it looks like added weight for a minimal gain.

When I was involved in circle track cars back in the '70's, we never worried about differential overheating, we were much more worried about the engines... :)

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Mike

Well I do know that the Corvette crowd are installing tranny and differential coolers on C5s to combat this very issue. I know this is apples and oranges, but there have been some pretty high temps reported. The C5 ECU has built in codes for trans and differential over heating on the Z06 and trans overheating on the C5 & C6, so it is something to consider.

I believe a good quality synthetic would combat a lot of this concern for the Z diffs... But it would be nice to tap in some temp sensors just to get an idea of how hot these components are truly getting. Until that is known, you simply won't know if you really need a cooler...

Mike

I have searched for quite some time for pictures...or write ups on oil cooler installations... Google seems to be failing me... or this is not within the realm of the average track car builder...

I did not bring a camera with me into the BMW race shop out of respect for the race team's work... although it turns out... I would have been welcome to take pictures...I really wish I had them now...

It seems to me that the pumps are around $200 with several competing brands.

The oil coolers are listed as engine/tranny/diff coolers... soo there are a lot of them around...

Hoses should be 1/2" with free flowing fittings.. there are several types that seem acceptable.

I was told that around 15,000 BTU thermal transfer should be enough for the system to work with a V-8 powered track car...maybe less for short 30 minutes sessions where the temp may climb too slowly for it to become a problem...

5foot2>>>>> I will know in about 3 weeks. I would assume that it will work. the only problem is that you will need the VLSD specific input shafts (diff half of the CV) I am thinking that with the long nose and short nose being the same ratio, and being close in the year made and all. they should have the same number of bolts on the carrier/ring gear, and they should be the same size. IIRC, nissan changed the bolt sizes in what, 1987?

The only other concern is will the diff side CV cups be compatible with the rest of the CV axel from the M30? I would think so. that being said, I will be using a lot of M30 suspension parts. mainly the rear control arms/hubs/brakes, CV axels and differential housing. the reason being the brakes are better on the M30 rear (I have a 1980 280ZX with the crap calipers)