HybridZ

Was there EVER a 240-260-280 Convertable kit? Please dont flame me >_>

240ZR

I saw that Ugly z31 yesterday and was thinking.... A convertable 240z Might be a HOT Z... can you see it..... I can.... I saw a T-top 240Z once and i though that was the ****... I wanted one bad... to bad they are imposiable to find >_>

So i was thinking about a convertable.... it cant be impossiable? anyone seen one? is there a kit still in porduction? is there a shop that has done it befor?.....

Better question is there a shop that still makes t-top 240z kits ? sarcasm>

Don't be disheartened Dan... although Im not a huge fan of the stock Z31 trim that top is nicely executed and I have seen a couple of beautiful z31 wide bodies posted on a recent thread. My main gripe would be color and wheels but it has great potential and will be fun to drive as is.

Disheartened I'm not. I was only kidding. Of all five generations of the Z car I only like the S130 and the Z31 in chop top form.

I am struggling with what to do with the car. Leaving it original would be the best thing to ensure it retains it's value. But those wider fender kits look sweet and I prefer the later, more rounded, Z31 noses. And I could drop a turbo motor in there and still keep it California smog legal.

There's no rush. For now I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it.

Almost forgot: Yes Larry, John's kit IS the Origin kit. He bought all the molds, instructions, and hardware years ago.

saw a red 280zx convertible last week, coming off hiway 17 onto camden ave. one of the days it wasn't raining. top was down, driver's scarf blowing in the wind.

couple days later, saw the red 72 240z convertible z i got screwed out of, driving down san tomas expressway. i thought it had been sold to and moved out of state. sort of excited me and pissed me off at the same time. looked the same as when i 1st saw it 10 years ago. red, bbs wheels, black top. it was about half a block ahead of me, turned off to the right at an intersection before i could catch up to it.

i think convertible z cars are beautiful. great lines. wished it was me in that 280 zx drop top, looked like a swoppy XKE.

There's also the Hollywood Motorsports kit. Eric at Zparts.com used to offer it but a quick review of his site comes up empty.

It has a nicer looking rear deck IMHO than the Origin but it was designed as a true roadster and as such has no top, and also no trunk lid.

Dan ........Your new car looks great..........it's the black door handles that stick out like a sore thumb in photos. I would leave it fairly stock due to rarity.. I saw ZX's in a different light with Vinh's 280 ZX ... which is beautiful example of a convertible ZX... and your fat boy Z is looks great too. excellant picture ...maybe an Eric influence?

Came across a sad looking unfinished 280ZX convertible for sale recently in the US. It was advertised on the web by a business that used to make convertibles but no longer did. Could be a fair bit of work to do to finish it but you could see the potential.

I'm in the process of finishing a 280Z RoadZter now. No top ,but with an operating trunk lid, fabricated from the hatch. Shaved latch button with an electric solenoid and trunk latch from a 280ZX. Shaved door locks , 240 bumpers and Dayton wire wheels. Rebuilt L28 engine with polished SU carbs and intake and another one of my "wireless" engine compartments. I'll be posting some pics in the near future. A perfect car for NorthEastern Pennsylvania (hehe)! AL

• 4 weeks later...