HybridZ

L6 Manifold Design?

tfreer85

I'm always scheming about different cars and engines, but I was curious about an L6 Exhaust Manifold. Since no one (that I know of) still makes an turbo manifold for the L6 I was wondering if anyone has ever done a setup like this?

base_kit.JPG

This is for a NA Supra. Design changes to consider with this manifold, would be mounting the turbo facing downward as to not run it into the intake manifold. So my question becomes how hard would it be to fabricate a design simialr to this? Also would it offer any significant power gains over a stock manifold to spend the money on it? Is there any thing else that you would change about this design? Is there a completely seperate design that would flow better, such as a log manifold or other style?

Thanks,

Tyson

That manifold doesn't look to be any better flowing than the stock manifold, of course a flow check of some sort will tell for certain. With that assumption the advantages I see are, possibly cheaper(not much), and you can put the turbo anywhere you want. The advantages of stock are, parts are available, play and play, minimal extra fabrication(aka, cheaper overall). Unless you do a twin turbo, a fabricated manifold will probably give you more headaches than are necessary. I am far from an expert, this is just my $.02

Turbo heads have square ports. You'd have to get some thick walled ells and port the crap out of it to match up...

That porting would be best left to the metal from a half inch stainless flange. Square transitioning into the round I.D. of the weld el.Works great . I usually mill a shallow instep onto the flange so the pipe/tube slip fits inward just abit.

..........Vinny 8)

I am making a stainless turbo header for my Z. The pic is a couple days old and I have made more progress since this, but it will give you an idea of what it is going to look like. I'll post more pics as soon as I get my camera near my computer.

-jeremy100_0935.JPG

I am making a stainless turbo header for my Z. The pic is a couple days old and I have made more progress since this' date=' but it will give you an idea of what it is going to look like. I'll post more pics as soon as I get my camera near my computer.

-jeremy[/quote']

Yeah I saw, that the day after, gorgeous work. Thanks for posting.

Tyson