HybridZ

If you could only have 2 more gauges

Ed260Z

I found a company that says they can make me a dual gauge that will look very close to my original Z gauges. I will be supplying them with my stock Amp/Fuel gauge to mess with, and you can assume it's not going to be cheap.

The problem is what do I get function wise. The Boost level is a no brainier, but should the other be an EGT or Oil temp? Or some other gauge?

I'm going for more of a stealth look in my Z, and I don't want anything to in the car to scream modified. Well except under the hood. LOL

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give me.

something like this?

gauge-3sx-dual-09-oil-pres-temp-1-190.jpg

3SX introduces a new line of custom dual gauges, allowing you to display twice as much information about your car in the same amount of space. Mount them in your factory center gauge locations or use the Autometer single or dual gauge pods to mount them along the a-pillar. These are aircraft quality gauges designed to the most exacting standards and for precise accuracy. Available in a variety of styles in both white and black faces. They include all required probes or sending units and hardware (Air/Fuel uses existing O2 sensor). They are edge-lit with the included light kit and have red and green color options using rubber nipples/covers (can use other colors if you get other colored covers - not available through 3SX).

Gauge

Price*

1) Oil Pressure / Water Temp

$194.95

2) Amps / Volts

$169.95

3) Oil Pressure / Oil Temperature (WHITE only)

$194.95

* Prices are for black faces, white faces are $5.00 more per gauge.

http://www.3sxperformance.com/gauges.asp

or you can go digital (edit, sorry forgot about the 'keep it stock looking' thing :) )

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/spa-digital-dual-readout-gauges.htm

well, i think your oil pressure is more important to observe (esp on hot days) than EGT. from my experience, you can almost gauge the oil temp, by observing your oil press.

maybe if you can get a gauge made that has oil press and water temp, i think would save room and have good function.

How much did he want for the gauges anyway?

well' date=' i think your oil pressure is more important to observe (esp on hot days) than EGT. from my experience, you can almost gauge the oil temp, by observing your oil press.

maybe if you can get a gauge made that has oil press and water temp, i think would save room and have good function.

How much did he want for the gauges anyway?[/quote']

The Z already has a Water Temp/Oil pres gauge stock. I'll have to find a way of making them work with the RB sensors.

The price is still open, as it will be the first time they do this type of gauge, and I have to get him more information on the RB's sending unit. He gave me a ballpark of from $400-$800. Not sure if it will be worth it passes the $500 mark.

If it was me, I would add a fuel pressure gauge. Very very very important on a boosted car. So given the choice of two gauges i woudl replace the clock with the boost gauge and instal a fuel pressure gauge in the a/c vent on the side. This is how i ran my old 260z

Now I am running all autometer's so no split stuff which would have been nice. But i went with a speedo, tach, boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure, water temp, and fuel.

Im assuming you have a 260z, but if you have a 240 and dont mind doing a little cutting you can mount them in the center console. There are just other option then spending a ton of money on gauges like that htought i would throw it out.

This is my 240z console i threw some glass and bondo on becuase i ran out of gauge room. Its painted balck now this was in the primer stage...

Picture_030.sized.jpg

here is another idea i played with... i didnt like the final product of my carbon work and was too lazy to do it right so i nixed it.

DSCN5946.sized.jpg

And here is my old fuel pressure gauge that i mounted in the a/c vent, horrible picture but you get the idea. (and yes it is crooked, i never mounted it solid so it could be rotated a little bit)

DSCN0659.sized.jpg

this is a great thread as I have been pondering all alone the same issue.

I havent removed my guages yet to check them out, but my car has a volt meter, which I think is a fat waste of time. I thought of taking out the volt meter and combining the oil pressure and water temp top and bottom and then putting a 2 5/8 oil temp and a 2 5/8 boost guage where the clock is. Now although seeing what you guys have found with dual guages i can relook. The other option I was considering is the GTR oil temp and boost guage in the console

Why dose your Amp thing hit 60? mine only hits 45...... I would get Oil pressure/water Temp....... but thas just me

I think that the early 240Z's only had 40amp generators so that could be why. But that's not my gauge. I snaked the shot off Ebay. I already converted to a Volt/Fuel combo from a 280Z. The Water Temp/Oil Pressure should be the closest gauge to the tach on the car, which is also a stock gauge. Ideally I would have a full assortment of gauges, but I'm going for the Stealth look. So for now just 2 more gauges to replace the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to buy 2 cheap 2 1/16" guages, and see if I can make my own dual gauge out of the stock AMP/Fuel gauge. For now (until I change my mind again. LOL) I'm going for a boost/Fuel Press combo.

If it works I'll re make them with higher quality internals.

I think I'm going to buy 2 cheap 2 1/16" guages' date=' and see if I can make my own dual gauge out of the stock AMP/Fuel gauge. For now (until I change my mind again. LOL) I'm going for a boost/Fuel Press combo.

If it works I'll re make them with higher quality internals.[/quote']

I've just bought another 240Z water temp & oil pressure guage for $15. What I am going to do is turn the water temp guage into an oil temp guage, and put a sensor in the sump. This will then provide a dual guage with the oil pressure and temp in one. I will then remove the volt meter and put the water temp guage in its place. The clock I will replace with a boost guage or a boost & other dual guage