HybridZ

Toyota Rims....

Guest alanq64

The center opening (hidden by the plastic center cover) has to be opened up so these wheels will fit on the front hubs. To fit on the rear requires no mods but if you like to rotate your tires/wheels you might as well modify all four wheels.

Once you increase the center inside diameter the center covers will no longer work as they are a "snap in" fit. I opened up the center hole to an ID of 3.75" so that the aftermarket universal "spinners" would fit. Looked very good when done (no pics, sorry).

Use the Z31 mag wheel lug nuts. The Toyo ones have a different (1.5mm) thread pitch. Nice 14" x 7" wheels.

Thanks. Did you take the wheels to a machine shop or use a dremel?

Machine shop. I wanted it done correctly :)

The "wheel spinner centers" I mentioned are shown below (on a different wheel). I got them from the local hot rod shop. You get a “tower” that fits through the wheel opening and a spinner that screws on.

I guess these have gone the way of the dinosaur as I was not able to find any on the internet. Summit Racing used to carry them, but their latest catalog no longer lists them.

spinnercenters.jpg

I have a set of those Supra wheels. They appear to have too much backspacing to fit my 71 240z. Do you need to use spacers with these wheels? Bill in San Diego

Yes. I recall a spacer was needed for the front wheels. However, the car I was putting these wheels on had the Toyota calipers, so a spacer was required anyway for caliper clearance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the early Supra rims on my '71 Z with 225-60 tires, no spacers and there are no fitment issues. Don't go to the dealer for lug nuts, they are super expensive. I went to one of those tire/rim shops and bought new chrome ones for $1 apiece. I remember WAAAY back, the center caps on mag wheels had four little tabs that stuck out and they mounted with four little sheet metal screws to the rim. I was unable to find them anywhere either so my wheels remain capless.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ