HybridZ

Anyone considered dropping an SRT-4 engine in a Z? Mates up with a Jeep RWD trans!

Guest bastaad525

Guest ProjectZ

I know this thread is a few months old now, but I am actually thinking about doing this... One of my other cars is a 2004 Chrysler Sebring LX sedan with the NA 2.4L in it. I am currently converting it into the turbo 2.4L engine using a mix of parts for the SRT-4 and PT Cruiser. The guy I am having build my 41TE transmission (Chrysler FWD automatic transmission) to hold the 400+ whp and torque I'll be pushing through it, told me about this: http://www.racedeckracing.com/cars.html He said the RWD transmission used in that LSR Roadster is the RWD equivelent of the 41TE. He's the one who build the transmission for that car. They are pushing 750 whp on gas, and over 950 on alcohol from the 2.4L in that Roadster. Here's another article about it: http://dodge.off-road.com/dodge/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=365982

I know the guys that built the engines (Darrel Cox Racing) for those LSR cars I just mentioned have pushed a lot more than 750 whp through them. They have a 1400 whp drag SRT-4 that runs 7's. They've got everything from a stroke kit to take that motor out to 2.6L, to a twin turbo kit (uses stock turbos, put out just over 400 whp, with close to 0 lag).

The Chrysler 2.4L is a great little engine, you can do quite a bit with it if you build it right. If I can get my transmission guy to spill the beans on the RWD transmission that works with this engine, I may just try to do it on my '77 280Z. It might be a few years before I can get it done though, I just spent way too much money on my other car.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ProjectZ
why not just get a supra motor? more bang for the buck, plus you dont really have to worry about breaking custom pieces..

Actually I think this motor is cheaper to build up than a supra motor. Besides, I'm familiar with this motor, I've owned 2 different vehicles that have it. I've never owned or worked on a supra motor. This motor probably weighs less than a supra motor too. Also these motors can be found for a lot cheaper than a supra motor.

Other than motor mounts, very little would have to be "custom pieces" for this... There's a huge aftermarket for this motor, parts are relatively inexpensive for it, and very easy to get. With the right size turbo, and a good tune, you can get anywhere from 400 to 500 whp out of this motor stock. Upgrade the oil pump, throw on a windage tray with crank scrapper and baffle, put in stronger pistons, rods, rings, etc., drop in some new cams, and you're good to go for a ton more power.

Im thinking about this swap now. if it comes down to having a bellhousing made could the 6 tranny be used? I plan on going to the junkyard and getting one of these engines. i like this motor. Ive driven a srt4 and they accelerate good and weigh more than the s30.

Guest ProjectZ
Im thinking about this swap now. if it comes down to having a bellhousing made could the 6 tranny be used? I plan on going to the junkyard and getting one of these engines. i like this motor. Ive driven a srt4 and they accelerate good and weigh more than the s30.

Well I talked to my transmission guy (the one I talked about in my earlier post), and he said he could make an adapter to run just about any RWD transmission I could want with this engine. One of his suggestions to me was a Mercedes 5 speed automatic. He told me he could get me one and set it up to run with this engine for around $2,000.

It will be a while before I do anything with my 280Z still, I've spent all my money finishing my other poject. Yeah the Chrysler 2.4L I4 is a great little engine. They are quite the torque monsters. The stock natrually aspirated version puts out 150 HP and 167 ft-lbs of torque (at the crank). The stock turbo version in the SRT-4 was originally rated at 215 HP @ 5600 rpm and 224 lb/ft of torque @ 3200 rpm (at the wheels). With the right turbo, the torque levels usually stay quite a bit higher than the HP levels. The highest HP I have heard of out of this engine, is 1400 HP. People routinely get 400 to 500 HP on the stock block, and quite a few people have 600 to 800 HP on fully built engines. People have a hard time keeping traction with the torque levels this engine produces. I think this engine would be amazing on a RWD platform like the S30.

My wife's driver is a PT Cruiser GT with the 2.4L Turbo HO (215 or 220hp) Great car, terrible gas mileage, and lots of torque steer if you are turning left and hit the power hard. I'd put one in another z in a heart beat, but I'd use a Supra manual transmission.

Here is something I pulled off a MoPar site.

Posted for informational purposes only.

The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed and the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154 5-speed all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern. As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

94-95 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects R154 to any K car based 2.2L-2.5L L4 in a RWD application.

94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects R154 to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8.

96-99 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects R154 to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8.

88-99 Jeep 4.0L L6 bellhousing: Connects R154 to any AMC 290/304/343/360/390/401 V8 and any 72 and later 232 L6 and 258 L6.

01-03 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 bellhousing: Connects R154 to any 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and 5.7L Hemi V8.

R154 Ratio’s

1st 3.30:1

2nd 1.95:1

3rd 1.34:1

4th 1.00:1

5th 0.75:1

Rev 3.20:1

The R154 is a particularly robust transmission. It shares it's design with the AX15 but is built to a different spec. Not in the Tremec class, but better than a T5. It would work well in certain applications. The deciding factor to use something like this would probably be cost. Good used R154's can be had for about $300 and bellhousing for about $50. Converting to a hydraulic clutch would add a bit more expense but still, nowhere near the price of a Tremec. So, if you've got a 318 2 barrel in your daily driver, this might be for you. It should be pointed out that Australians LOVE these gearboxes for V8 conversions.

So, this is what CAN be done with stock, boneyard parts. Enjoy.

I could live with that transmission.

g

I was considering that, (and it has been posted on here before) but the tranny issue was giving some people pause. I hadnt heard of the Jeep angle, so that is a new twist for me. I would probably jump on that idea as it sits, but for the fact that I am liking the 2.7 toyota 3RZ better, and I know what I am getting in trannies... not sure I would like a truck tranny, not that I know what comes in the Jeeps. Honestly, the only thing that would really tempt me over the 3RZ is the fact that the 2.4 comes already turboed, and has aftermarket reflecting on that. I would suspect that the Toyota block will be more durable, and probably a "nicer" runner, based on Toyota's track record with engine design, but I sure would like to see someone do the SRT swap as well, preferably before I am too deeply committed to the 3RZ = ).

• 1 year later...
Guest JimmyCrackCorn

I bought a used srt4 motor for 800 bucks delivered to my door! It was ror my 05 srt4 that I spun a rod in. MY roomate totaled the car after the new motor was put in. The new motor ran strong even with a safer tune and lower boost than I was running before. Needles to say you can get used srt4 motors with 35 to 45 k miles on them for 1000 or less. They do make up to 500whp on stock internal but wont last long at all and all that have tried end up blowing it up or only hit that number on race gas and daily drive on pump maps. I ran low 13's at 108 with 2.4 60 foots and all I had was 3" dump exhaust, FMIC, wastegate (18lbs boost), CAI Intake, 3" o2 housing.

I am seriously interested in this swap, I know I can get the motors for cheap, I am just curious about these Jeep trannies. So is this just in theory right now or has anyone actually done it? If is has been done, what all is required other than the srt4 motor?

My wife's driver is a PT Cruiser GT with the 2.4L Turbo HO (215 or 220hp) Great car, terrible gas mileage, and lots of torque steer if you are turning left and hit the power hard. I'd put one in another z in a heart beat, but I'd use a Supra manual transmission.

Here is something I pulled off a MoPar site.

Posted for informational purposes only.

The Jeep/Dodge AX15 5-speed, the Jeep NV3550 5-speed and the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154 5-speed all share the same case to bellhousing bolt pattern. As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

94-95 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects R154 to any K car based 2.2L-2.5L L4 in a RWD application.

94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects R154 to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8.

96-99 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects R154 to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8.

88-99 Jeep 4.0L L6 bellhousing: Connects R154 to any AMC 290/304/343/360/390/401 V8 and any 72 and later 232 L6 and 258 L6.

01-03 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 bellhousing: Connects R154 to any 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and 5.7L Hemi V8.

R154 Ratio’s

1st 3.30:1

2nd 1.95:1

3rd 1.34:1

4th 1.00:1

5th 0.75:1

Rev 3.20:1

The R154 is a particularly robust transmission. It shares it's design with the AX15 but is built to a different spec. Not in the Tremec class, but better than a T5. It would work well in certain applications. The deciding factor to use something like this would probably be cost. Good used R154's can be had for about $300 and bellhousing for about $50. Converting to a hydraulic clutch would add a bit more expense but still, nowhere near the price of a Tremec. So, if you've got a 318 2 barrel in your daily driver, this might be for you. It should be pointed out that Australians LOVE these gearboxes for V8 conversions.

So, this is what CAN be done with stock, boneyard parts. Enjoy.

I could live with that transmission.

g

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

Greg