HybridZ

Question RE: ride height

I was out cruising in the Z the other day nad ran into the only other Z i've seen around here since I've been here. I saw him parked next to a pay phone so I gave him a quick honk just to let him know I was there. I then proceeded around the corner to the nearest gas station to get gas. About 5 minutes later he pulled up and we shot the $hit for a little bit. After looking at his car for a minute, and he was looking at mine. We both came to the conclusion that his car looked like a 4X4 compared to mine. I've been having a little bit of issues with my 2 1/2" exhaust scraping on fairly small bumps. Now my question is this, I'm sitting on 16X7 or 8" ROH wheels with 205 70r16 tires. And my car sits pretty low. Can anybody judge about how much this bad boy has been lowered just by analyzing the pics? I want to bring it up a little bit but not too much. Just want to add maybe another inch to inch and a half of clearance. I was thinking MMS coilovers witht he 10" springs. Does that seem to be enough to get the results I'm after? Or should I add a taller tire. All input is greatly appreciated guys. I think the PO had MSA springs and Tokico non-adjustable struts on the car. Can't say for sure though.

IMG016.JPG

IMG022.JPG

I think the best way to get the ride height you want is to go with adjustable coilovers. It's something that you'll probably want to play around with until you get it just the way you like it.

If you raise the car about an inch with the wheels and tires you have now, the space between the top of the tires and the bottom of the fenderwell might not look that nice.

I think that you're exhaust looks a little too low. Maybe you could leave the ride height as it is now and get your exhaust tucked up a little higher?

Well, I wouldn't mind putting a slighlty taller tire to fill that gap a little bit. no biggie there. I wish I had some pics of the undercarriage to show exactly how the exhaust sits, but from what I remember there's not really a whole lot more room to play with unless I modify the trans tunnel some more.

I think Bartman is right. Nice looking exhaust, but it does look low to me. Mine hangs about 1/4" away from the bottom of the cap over the LCA inner bushing, and it's tucked right into that little spot between the control arm and the cap. Yours looks like its maybe 1.5 or 2" from that cap, and they're more in the middle where they're forced to be down lower because of the shape of the diff cover. The closer you get the exhaust to the suspension the more of a chance that it's going to rub on something, unfortunately, so you have to get it far enough away so that it doesn't hit and close enough so that it doesn't drag.

So, you guys are basically saying that it's more of the exhaust as opposed to the ride height?
In your first post you talked about the exhaust scraping. If that's what you want to fix, I would change your exhaust. The ride height is a personal preference, if you think you would like the look of it being a little higher than get coilovers and a taller tire.

For my own $.02 worth I have a problem comparing ride heights of various Zs without a good reference point. I use a point on the flat lip of the rocker just behind the front wheel well and in front of the rear well. I 've had mine from 5.25 front - 5.75 rear to it's current 6.00 frt - 6.75 rear. The lower setting was used on the track which left very little room in the suspension.

I agree that it looks more like an exhaust issue. I actually like the stock ride height and, personally, would raise what you have 3/4" maybe 1". That is totally subjective however. I was about to ask if you are in love with the idea of twice pipes, then I read your sig...lol. Still, what would be the smallest single pipe you could run? 3"? 3.25"? Could you get more clearance with a single pipe? Might be worth looking at.

P.S. Bartman......nice.