HybridZ

Looks like I found a shell, Whadda Ya Think?

Guest iskone

It's a funky yellow 71 series 1 with a 12/70 or was it 10/70 manufacture date. Has the vented hatch. For what I feel is a fair price of $900 in Washington. Wish I was in L.A.

http://www.geocities.com/jubbiejill/240z/

I'm worried about this pic here with the bondo. He also says there is bondo on the door. I'm not too woried about body work that minor just the frame.

bumper.jpg

But then look at this picture, I think it redeems the under bumper shot.

rail.jpg

Have you ever seen such a straight rail on a $900 240!?

I'll get my hands back behind the sheet metal and bring a flashlight to take a better look at that bondo.

It's not a done deal yet but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it tomorrow.

Since I'm worried about the cost of fixing the 240 I want to have something ready to go right away if it seems like too much. If I decide to fix mine anyway I'll just sell this new one. Better yet I'll make my 17yo little brother work it off then turn him into a Z freak too!! MMAHAAHAAHAA

edit: I should mention it runs and drives.

Isk

Hey! I had dibs on that car!!

Just kidding!

Does that hatch have some oilcan action going on? Look at the right side near where the emblems go.

Good luck!

(still working on my build... now contemplating the roll-on paint job, experiments this weekend...)

Where are you seeing a bent driver side frame rail?

Oil can? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Cool, you're doing the roll on paint. Let me know when it's done I'd love to take a look at it.

I heard the first ones made were lighter, know anything about that?

Isk

Hopefully I'll be a bit quicker at that than the engine rebuild...

Well I hope so. I want to see how it looks before I try it. LOL

Oh the reflection, I figure the hatch could not be smooth.

Isk

For $900 leave the magnet at home and buy that sucker. Now. Stop thinking and do it. That thing has straight bumpers and you can't see the steering wheel from underneath the car. Good find.

I have a 12/70 240 and I have the exact same bit of broken bondo on the rear valence. Some drunk kid on motorcyle slid underneath my Z and exposed the damage with his helmet. Probably got bumped from the rear at some time in the past. The ding on your car is right under the bumper mount and you can see the slight crease in the bumper. The rear valence is not structural, so don't worry about "the frame".

And yes, that frame rail, such as it is, is perfectly straight. Mine looks like the ocean on a windy day from my misguided attempts to use them to jack up the car. They straighten as easily as they bend. Your only worry is rust, which that car doesn't seem to have.

I don't thnik I'll need the magnet buy I will bring it anyway. When I said I'm worried about the frame it's because if the car was hit in the rear and from the side who knows what could be going on. I did ask if the doors lined up without the gaps changing width or if they stick out a bit. He didn't think so.

Isk

I'm headed out in a couple hours to get it.

I've thought about not going through the trouble of changing everything out but I would like to have a car so I can take a close look at both and make a desision. I'm not the most confident in the cutting aprat the 240 and welding in such a large area that is structual.

I've kicked around the idea of leaving all the weld in parts in and only using bolt in stuff for the Yellow 240 then going back to the White one and making repairs. Endeing up with 2 240's and a lighter wallet.

I did get teh tow dolly yesterday. It was a nightmare. I ran out of time and never got the car to a body shop. I'll get it to a body shop this or coming or the next weekend.

Isk

Ok, I picked it up for $900

It has it's ups and downs, runs rich, little more rust then I had wanted, little more bondo then I wanted. The worst areas are the drivers rocker where it looks like it was hit, the hatch door needs work, and the driver side floor has a pin size hole in it, passneger rails not so straight It was jacked up from there. Of course there is a handle full of little things too.

I'll still have to see if I'll use this shell or fix up my 240 another way. If I don't end up using this I'll try to keep in the Hybrid family.

Anyway here are some higher res pics.

P1000480.JPG

P1000481.JPG

P1000482.JPG

P1000489.JPG

P1000486.JPG

P1000484.JPG

I saw the car before it went up officially for sale. It does have some bondo. There is a bondo detector for around $10 or a more expensive $35 paint thickness tool that work off of magnetism. But you never truly know until you get the paint off. Do you really want to know??? Sometimes it's best NOT knowing.

I'm guessing the dimpling on the rear roof is where the hatch jammed into it from being rear ended. I dunno for sure, I just casually looked over the car since I wasn't in the market for another project. I think you got a fair deal.