HybridZ

T5, Tremec TKO and the dreaded Hydrailics issue...

Mikelly

When I called Keisler' date=' they didn't want to give me the part number for the release bearing you you have and told me the cost would be $300.

Mike[/quote']

Well that stung! $411 for the retainer (Special TKO 600 partnumber required) and the bearing kit!

So in hindsight, was the Keisler set up a better way to go?

I am looking to put a TKO behind an LS2 crate motor using a $200 Keisler aluminum bellhousing

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/transmissions/bellhousing.asp

The $300 they quoted me for a hydraulic release bearing that I know will fit didn't sound so bad to me.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what you want...

The Keisler Bellhousing isn't SFI approved... I think the Sonic setup that PeteP bought was a better deal personally... Gets more ground clearance, and was probably about $150 cheaper...

The TKO600 is a beast of a tranny and really well done... I'm not gonna be concerned running it behind the 383 stroker...

Mike

Actually I was more interested in your rethink about the $300 hydraulic set up.

So far the only LS to TKO bellhousings I have found are the Keisler and a Lakewood unit. Apparently the old BBC housings fit LS motors with only one misplaced bolt hole. But since I will probably get the tranny from Keisler I might as well get the whole package.

I am not too concerned about sourcing an SFI approved unit.

Actually Yes, I do away with the bearing setup and the Mcleod Bellhousing and go with the setup Pete Got from Sonic, which included the other style Tilton bearing.

But I've got what Iv'e got now... No biggie...

Mike

mike did you see my post on the prev page??

Called Tilton, aparently Friday's are "Race" day? Not alot of help, but I did find out their Sonicbelhousing is only about .150 longer than the one i have, not enough to fix my issue.

Called Ram, suggested a HOWE again, it's like .5" shorter in lenght and would solve the problem but it's junk. All i got from Ram is that their pressure plate depth should be the same as the stock 10.5" clutch. Maybe my tilton unit wan't made to be used w/ a stock clutch.....?

Called thegearbox.org, he now has 3 day weekends :) (he's off on friday's now)

I'm going to call Kevin at the Gearbox and and engineer at Tilton on monday...

I think i figured it out....reading and re-reading through the instructions...

"Install the clutch, flywheel and clutch housing" when i read this i didn't quite get all the terms in my head correct. For me, it should read....Install the clutch DISK, the flywheel and the PRESSURE PLATE.

I didn't install the clutch disk, that could pull the fingers in a bit and hopefully enough for me to get it all in there! :)

I'll see when I get home.

Friday night, I pulled the pressure plate, stuck the clutch disk in there and the fingers on the pressure plate 'puckered up' over .500 so I am in business!

Thanks pete for the info, so your running a G-Force gear set w/ a 14 spline input? You can tell that its a world class very simply by the front bearing that holds the counter shaft in place. If it's a TIMKEN, your WC, if not, your not.

Got the HTOB installed, and plumbed up, took pics and all that but I'll have to start another thread and post my updates tomorrow or next week, we're on our way out to see the Lion King at the Tulsa PAC.

BTW, not only did i get the trany/clutch issues resolved, the engine and trans are IN THE CAR!

Later...

Bill, my G-Force is your typical V8 WC T5 with the 26 splined shaft.

I have another Monza V8 T5 that is 14 spline

Don't think there were ever any 14 spline WC trannies. Not sure how to tell, but it's on the net someplace, I'm sure.

Glad to hear it's all in the car! The hassle of the manual is SO worth it!

Pete