HybridZ

God I want to buy a tornado Fuel saver.....

240ZR

It sound SO great but I know its BS..... if it really worked.... EVER car manfg. would install them.... It just sounds so good.... lol but then again I think wow I am not that stupid.... has ANYONE on here bought one? had anyone Dyno'd that? if i could get 1% I guess it might be worth it....... I just know its all psychological......There is no way that it is allowing better airflow, since it is restricting your airflow in the first place. If you restrict airflow going to an engine a bit, you tend to increase your engine's torque but decrease it's hp...... It SHOULD BE ILLEGAL To sell crap like this.... i sware......

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html?id=adWordsTurbonatorTO

Holy **** I found worse........ OMG.... do people really buy these things?

lol Ill Buy that just to put the stickers on my car >_> lmao I bet i get a whole .5 lb of boost.... wow thats like 1 horse ._.

Never mind no boost i though it was an electric fan blowing into the air box >_>

They work, my friends dad has a 88'? jeep grand charokee, and it was getting about 4mpg with a 3 inch lift on 31 inch tires, and when it was put in it got a whopping 9mpg, thats double on that perticular model. They do work, it doesn't really restrict the airflow, it just swirls it for better combustion.

My boss was given one for his Astro van by a Tornado sales rep when they first came out, ran it and saw no difference whatsoever. On their 2L bottle trick that they always show the air from the bottom bottle can't get out, and that is why the water glugs down from the top; basically the heavier weight of the water compresses the air in the bottom, then as the water pours down it burps the air into the top. Get the vortex going and there is a big hole in the middle for the air to get out, so the water pours right down. Big mystery there.

Popular Mechanics did an article on several "GAS SAVERS" (including the Tornado) a few months ago and found that none of them worked. In fact they lowered gas milage in most cases. They even said that one of the devices they tested was "Dangerous" as it almost caused a fire.

In the case of the Tornado --- turbulance = bad air flow = not good.

my cousin bought one and put it in his car (i think it was a grand am and the only real mod was a stereo system). after a week the thing broke and destroyed his engine

It probably has a lot to do with the design of the intake system downstream of the turbonator/tornado thingy. I put one in my 98 cherokee just for $hits and giggles, and saw a consistent 2-3 mpg increase. This was measured from running 10 tanks of gas through it, then removing it and measuring again for several tanks. When it was removed, my mileage went down by 2-3 mpg. I then added a 3" lift and Mickey Thompson 31" Baja Claw radials, which completely nullified any benefits gained by using it in the first place :)

Side note: Adding acetone to the gas also increased mileage somewhat, around 1-2 mpg.

Mike

God I just don't know.....I think its all psychologically....

I usta have a hybrid (Civic) stick... I drove the snot out of it and got a whopping 35 MPG consistently for 15k miles..... my mom drove it for 6 months and was getting 47-55 mpg... my sister drove it then for going on 2 years now.... and consistently gets 40mpg.... so? is letting you mom drive your car the new way to save gas? I think not... I think it all in how aggressive you are with the car... and by putting in this ****... i think you subconsciously change your driving habits...

Here's a great one:

http://www.fuelchief.com/

$150 for 6 stickers that you place on the fuel tank....

Check out the science behind this one:

"The fuel chip is placed into an “accelerator†which charges it with photons. Photons are infinite and continue to provide energy without any additional exposure to the “acceleratorâ€.

They are then placed into the energy elevation chamber to further elevate and energize the fuel chip.

When the device is located at the bottom of the fuel tank the radiance emanating from the chip elevates the frequency of the sub atomic-particles in the fuel and hence results in a more complete fuel burn "

I've actually reported this company to the FTC :)

Hawthorne Effect

An experimental effect in the direction expected but not for the reason expected; i.e. a significant positive effect that turns out to have no causal basis in the theory, but is apparently due to the effect on the participants of knowing themselves to be studied in connection with the outcomes measured.

Or, more simply, someone who spends mony on the Tornado wants to see improvements in fuel mileage (to validate their purchase decision) so they drive more carefully.

The Hawthorne Effect is also people tend to be more productive/good when being watched, such as a worker working harder when their boss is closely watching or people drive better when they see an officer

maybe its horrible/horrible= 200% better? no whats the Square root of Horrible? anyone? Its modern day snake oil.. if it REALLY worked we would have Cyclonic intake vents along vortex enhancers... [/sarcasm]

Hey John I bet that Guys who had the 997 Porsche would put one in.....

Well, for what it's worth I drive a total 90 miles every day to get to work and back. At that rate, a 2-3 mpg increase, no matter if its psychological, gynacological, trans-epidermal or endo-thermal pays for itself over the course of only a month or so. I got mine on Ebay (Where else?) for a whopping $35.00. And I STILL have it installed, probably more because I like the little CARB sticker in my engine bay than anything else. :P

I think there is also a lot of validity in the Jeepshavecrappycombustionchambers theory. Mine gets exactly the same mileage weather I'm doing donuts in the church parking lot at 2:00 am, or cruising the freeway at 80 mph. I can only attribute this to sub standard combustion chamber design. Ok, discuss amongst yourselves.... :)

Mike