HybridZ

Brakes and Suspension lol...

Guest traub83

Guest traub83

Hey Guys long time no see!!! Anyways I have my 240Z here with me and I have the body all done minus the paint job yay!! Well After measuring I am able to fit 11" wide wheels under the rear of the car. However I am not going that wide. I am looking at getting a set of 18"x10" wheels for a 350Z or a 240sx since they are common wheels to buy and will still look awsome!!! Anyways I am doing a 5 lug swap and am going to use the wilwood brake system from Arizonazcar.com I have been on the phone with them lately and it seems there brake system will be way more than enough for me and my Z for daily driving and some highway crusing. However the suspension is a big question for me.

I am debating on getting a full coilover setup or just lowering springs and new shocks with sway bars... I know the shocks, springs, and sway bars are better for the price however having full control over your suspension with the coilovers would be amazing. What is the ride quality like using just eibach or Tokio lowering springs with those 5way adjustable shocks over the coilover setup?? I would like to drop my car 1-2" anyways however I want it to be able to handle like a stuck ape but again for a reasonable cost... Is it just flat out worth it to get the coilovers or do you all think I would be happy with just a refreshed lowering spring setup with new kickA$$ shocks?? This is more of a personal opnion question I know but I dont really have too much money to messwith and I dont want to test and tune on it. So those of you that have done this or has one of the setups I want to hear from you on your experance's are with your setup...!! Thanks in advance!!

I love the notion that coil-overs automatically give you `full control' over anything. All it lets you do is raise and lower the car on the same set of springs, that is all. The more you raise it, the less droop it has btw.

Considering you don't want to be tuning it, I would say that making anything adjustable, ride height, shocks, sway bars, whatever is probably a waste.

I recommend you get a set of springs that drop the car to a height you like, and some quality shocks, bilstein for example. If you are keen you might take the springs along and get the shocks revalved to match them. Then its a matter of bump-steer spacers/roll centre adjusters/lower strut spacers/whatever you want to call them.

I don't have any experience with tokico illuminas but the prodra-g's I had in my car were ratshitted awfully quickly.

Oh and I think you might be being a little optimistic about fitting 10" rims under the stock guards? While I agree, the distance from inner guard to outer is around 290mm, you have to take into account the swinging motion of the wheel due to the swing-arm suspension. This will bring the wheel inwards as it goes over bump and effectively reduces the amount of wheel you can fit without rubbing. Not to mention the standard spring perchs are in the way. According to my really rough measurements and guestimates if you run 18s and coil-overs with REALLY short springs (read: stiff as bugger and really only suited to the track) you might get away with 9.5"?

Someone else will be able to confirm/comment I'm sure.

Dave

Dave

I agree. If you run an 18" you can get a 9.5", but that's pushing it a 9" would be better. You will have to run an 8" spring and c/o's atleast in the rear to fit something that wide. Unless you flared it I would forget about the 10"s unless you are going to stretch the tire ricer style. As for it sticking, tires play a huge part in traction. The lower the treadwear, typically the better it will stick. A 43mm offset is about perfect for a 9" wheel with the AZC 5 lug rear.

I"d not buy the tokicos, and I have a set... I'd go with either custom Bilsteins or Konis, even for a street car, or find some Boges.

Also, If this is just a street car, you might end up just going with a little narrower tire/wheel, and running your stock spring perch with a traction master/ MSA/AZC coil spring. Stay away from the ubber stiff adjustable sway bars as well.

When you're talking with Dave at AZC, make sure he fully understands what you plan to do with the car (Really) so he sells you the best parts for the job. Coil overs and ubber stiff suspensions on the street just don't make sense to me...

Mike

Well.... If you want to keep the wheels tucked under the car... you will need coilovers....

This is not for looks as much as it is to keep bearing loads as close as possible to stock loading....

Most people using 10" wide wheels need short rear coilover springs to keep them from interfering with the rear tires... and short rear springs will require STIFF springs to keep them from bottoming out and binding....

Keep in mind that lowering the car 2" will require shortening the strut housings and using alternate strut cartridges...

Soo... what you want to do to the car... and your intended use... DO NOT MATCH very well at all....

traub83,

As others have mentioned, coilovers will benfit you with corner height adjustment/loading, additional inside clearance for wider tire/wheels, provides an easier process for changing out springs (no spring compressor required), and they look cool as hell. Also as mentioned, if dropping your Z 1 1/2" to 2", it is advisible to also shorten the strut housing tube in order to maintain proper damper travel in bump and rebound. If you don't, you will wind up with very little bump travel and a ton of rebound travel. Do you need coilover for a street car??? No! Do you want the ability to set your ride height so your wider tire/wheel setup looks correct in the wheel well??? Them yes, install coilovers.

My 240Z is a street car, setup for enjoying the tight twisty roads in my area, and I have coilovers on all corners, shortened struts, quick steering knuckles, adjustable camber plates all around, urethane bushing thoughout, 10" 200 lb front springs, 8" 275 lb rear springs, Tokico non-adjustable dampers, 17" x 8" (f), 17" x 9" ® three peice wheels, etc., etc. Anyway, I love the way the car works....just as I had hoped! I do however have isses to deal with when driving.....I avoid all speed bumps and obsticles of that nature and some might think my setup is a bit to tight for a cushy ride. Well, generally speaking you're not going to get that great cornering ability from a car with soft suspension and skinny tires. It all comes down to what you intend to use your car for. So, keep doing your homework. When you feel comfortable with what you learn about setting up a Z suspension and them proceed.

Guest traub83

well my Z is flared in the rear 1.5" out so 10" should not be a problem but if i must go 9.5" meh ohh ewll no big deal I just want some sticky meats. I do plan on using it as a street setup rather than race. I will mostlikely do research on the different types of springs out there and choose which will help me and fit me best. Then try and find quality shocks that will match the springs perfectly or close too!! I just want this car to be able to hook up very well for bein on the street and some occasional strip duty! I personally just dont want the harsh ride on a daily basis thats why I asked. I want this car to feel like your riding in a new vette or something along those lines if ya all catch my meaning...

PS. how does everyone like the nitto 555 drag radials for the street? Is there any better buys out there or better tires??

Guest traub83

Also I forgot to ask Arizona Z about there brake systems from wilwood, Before I bug them more I thought id post this here since it deals with the same stuff. but with there 5 lug brake swap kit what is the smallest wheel size I can run?? I will run 18's on the street but for the strip I was thinking on buying a cheap pair of 15" rear wheels and mounting slicks on them but the brake size has be worried that I may be stuck with drag radials all the time or those 17" slicks from MT which I honestly dont hear good stuff about over there 15" line. Just currious guys!!

PS. how does everyone like the nitto 555 drag radials for the street? Is there any better buys out there or better tires??

I run 275-40-17 Nitto 555R's (DR's). AutoX with them too. Good tire but I'm going with Kumho V700's soon. I need something softer as I still have traction issues. I run Toyo RA1's on the front. Compound wise they are the same as the 555R's, according to the durometer, but come with more rubber, 8/32" vs 6/32". 555R's are cheaper though. I guess it depends on your power.