HybridZ

L28et Conversion - 1983 Maxima

83_maxima

I am considering a L28et swap into my 83 Maxima' date=' but am trying to find more information on the oil sump modification that would need to be done to the L28 block for my car to accept it.

Does anyone have any detailed info on this, or know of a resource?[/quote']

under gen 1 on maxima.org there is a few guys that have done this swap with great success.

my guessing is that there shouldn't be any modification. then again, i haven't looked under the hood of a gen1 max in years.

so i dunno

From what I have heard, the L24e has a front oil pickup tube and the L28 has a rear pickup tube. It is my understanding that in order to perform the conversion (L28 into the Maxima) you must relocate the oil pickup tube and presumably use the Maxima oil pan.

I am looking for some more detailed info on the procedure.

I am a member of maxima.org, but there just isn't much traffic on the 1st gen forum and I haven't found much infor regarding the specific procedure.

810 wagon owner here. Machine shop can handle it fairly inexpensively I would think. Oil pickup must be moved to front boss. Boss is present on all L-6s I've seen. It's just not drilled. Must be drilled for p/u tube and 2 attachment bolts. Here's the trick. Old oil p/u must be blocked w/npt plug. I'd block by drilling main oil galley oversize just past intersection for front sump and tap and insert plug there. ** IF THAT'S NOT A GOOD SEAL YOU'LL SUCK AIR NOT OIL AND ENGINE LIFE COULD SUFFER!! ** (smile) New dipstick tube must be drilled behind the plug. Sounds confusing. It is really pretty straight forward when you're actually looking at the block. Note: Clearance issues with turbo vs. Maxima steering linkage? Oh yea, you will have to use the maxima oilpan.

I have a L28 block installed in my 1979 810 which also requires a “front sump” design, and I re-located the 810 oil sump pickup tube to the front of the L28 block. If you examine the six cylinder L-series engine blocks you will see that it is cast for either a front or rear oil pickup tube location. The factory then just drilled the corresponding “boss” out depending if it was going into a rear sump (Z cars) or a front sump (810, 1st generation Maxima ) vehicle.

You drill and tap bolt holes in the front boss for the new front mounted oil pickup tube and drill a new passage from it to the pickup oil gallery in the block (which runs along side the block). You also have to block off the rear sump pickup gallery with a pressed-in plug and drill a new hole for the dipstick tube at the front of the block (being very careful not to drill into the main oil gallery). Lastly, you need to plug the old dipstick tube. All this cost me about $100 at a machine shop.

If you go this route, then I would recommend taking both your L28 and a spare 810/Maxima block (the L24E) to your machinist. Your machinist can index off the L24E block in order to determine exactly where to drill the needed holes.

Thanks for the additional information. This is starting to come together in my head.

I guess I am wondering whether or not this procedure will require a complete teardown to assure that no metal shavings from drilling, tapping, etc., end up in the engine and eventually tear it up.

As far as steering linkage clearance...I have rack and pinion power steering which offers more cleance than the old recirculating ball but...I am trying to wring more info out of a guy that has done the L28et conversion in an 84 Maxima. That will be a question I pose to him.

Thanks for the input. :icon14:

...I am trying to wring more info out of a guy that has done the L28et conversion in an 84 Maxima. That will be a question I pose to him...

One of the car mags (Road and Track, I think) did a L28 turbo swap on an early (1st gen) Maxima back in the early eighties. It's worth a look if you can find it in your local library.

I have a photocopy of the article somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

One of the car mags (Road and Track' date=' I think) did a L28 turbo swap on an early (1st gen) Maxima back in the early eighties. It's worth a look if you can find it in your local library.

I have a photocopy of the article somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.[/quote']

That would be interesting to read. I think R&T also sells backissues, but I would need to find out the volume and issue # to get the copy.

So I am thinking about the oil pickup relocation, the drilling and tapping involved and whether or not the excess metal shavings so close to vital engine components and oil galleys is going to warrant a teardown at minimum and a rebuild possibly?

Even being careful, or done at a machine shop, I don't know if it's possible to avoid contamination.

I was hoping (assuming I do this swap) to do the necessary mods, button it up, and bolt it in without having to do a teardown or rebuild.

Since the L24 and L28 blocks are the same deck height, why not just have the L24e block bored out to 86mm. Install the L28eT crank, pistons, ect. Then stick the P90 head on there and go.

unless you're trying to do this super cheap and not rebuild the engine. With the bored out block, no oil pickup or dipstick modifications would need to be done and you'd have your bottom end rebuilt and at 2.8L

Chris Grey has an L24 turbo in his 1st gen Maxima. That's how he solved the problem. Keep the stock block and boost it.

If its not already, don't forget to do a 5-speed swap and take out that 3.36 R180 and put in a 3.54 or 3.7

...I was hoping (assuming I do this swap) to do the necessary mods, button it up, and bolt it in without having to do a teardown or rebuild....

Another solution would be to just extend the length of the oil sump pickup tube of the L28T engine by sectioning it and adding an extension piece. I have heard of people doing this. This would avoid the metal contamination issue. However, positioning the extended tube correctly would be a concern and you may need some additional support (a brace) for the longer pick up tube.

Since the L24 and L28 blocks are the same deck height' date=' why not just have the L24e block bored out to 86mm. Install the L28eT crank, pistons, ect. Then stick the P90 head on there and go.

unless you're trying to do this super cheap and not rebuild the engine. With the bored out block, no oil pickup or dipstick modifications would need to be done and you'd have your bottom end rebuilt and at 2.8L

Chris Grey has an L24 turbo in his 1st gen Maxima. That's how he solved the problem. Keep the stock block and boost it.

If its not already, don't forget to do a 5-speed swap and take out that 3.36 R180 and put in a 3.54 or 3.7[/quote']

The limiting factor is funds. I have a lead on both an L28 NA and an L28et. Either could be had for less than 500 bucks. I can do all of the work myself, but might source it to a machine shop (haven't made up my mind yet). If I am going to bore it out and put in L28 pistons and crank, I might as well rebuild the head too, then the $$$$ really start stacking up and I am not trying to make this a continuing project.

The ultimate goal would be to pick up a good-running engine - be it NA or a turbo, make the necessary modifications, which in all actuality are not that difficult and can be done w/out contaminating the engine by taking certain precautions I have been made aware of, and bolt it up using the stock harness and ecu for engine management.

I am trying to contact Chris Gray, but I was under the assumption that he was using a "stock 280zx turbo engine" not a modified L24.

I have done a tranny swap and a rear-end swap with an 86 200sx (4.11) which will need to be changed if I turbo the car.

• 2 weeks later...
One of the car mags (Road and Track' date=' I think) did a L28 turbo swap on an early (1st gen) Maxima back in the early eighties. It's worth a look if you can find it in your local library.

I have a photocopy of the article somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.[/quote']

Found it! It was Car and Driver, August 1983.... However, the article does not get into the details of the oil tube mods.

• 4 months later...