HybridZ

Fuel gauge reads E, but it only takes 9 gal to fill up?

MIBPreacher

a common problem I BELIVE... You need to a) look into getting a new fuel sending unit looks liek you car sat for some time and gumed it up, B) Run it dry once and mark how many miles you are able to take it on a full tank, then fill up 50 mile befor that, c) try those fancy engine deguming agents, someone on z31 had a similar problem filled tank with doubble the deguming agent recomened let it sit for a week and it fixed it (might be back for engine tho?)

I just bought a '84 that sat for a while and has the same problem. The day it arrived the gauge read "E". Filled it up with only six gallons but the needle only went to half. Drove it around a little and after a couple of days it slowly went up to full. Put 100 miles on it yesterday and it's back down to half. Either I'm geting terrible fuel mileage or the problem has not remedied itself (or these Z31 have tiny tanks). Anybody know how much gas fits in the tank?

Thanks Sparks.

Did a search on Z31.com. From what I read there it is a very common problem and the culprit most times is the sending unit.

New from Courtesy Nissan:

Fuel Tank Gauge Assembly For Analog Gauges - 1984 - 1988 300ZX

Code:25060-Z31AN

Price: $82.66

19 1/2 gallons? Dang, or arg! I hope it's the sender and not the mileage.

Dan, I know you are new to the Z31 world, don't know about you Preacher, but are you guys aware of the Z31 dual gauge ? There are two scales, the first scale reads down to around 1/4 tank, then the second needle takes over and shows the last 1/4 of a tank over the full gauge range. There is usually a period when the main needle has vanished, but the secondary hasn't shown up yet. You are a real Z31 person when you stop being scared of the secondary gauge !

It's been a while now since I blew mine up, (you guys have changed your timing belts haven't you?), but I think the main needle is white, the secondary is orange.

Jason

Thanks guys,

My new sender arrived today. I got 19 mpg on my first tank buzzing around town. That was before the tune-up.

It's fun having a rag top again. This nice NorCal weather we have been having is just perfect for dropping the top.

Timing belt! arg. '84 NA, doesn't this thing have one cam in the block with gears or a chain driving it?

Yea i go by the secondary needle on mine and the gas light. Jason do you remember the privacy screen option I had on mine? Ya know it was in between the rear shock towers. Does anyone know the official name of that option as I broke a clip holding the piece down?

Don't know, I even tried to find it in the fiche.... Yours is still the only one I have seen. Don't you want to sell me that car cheap ? My daily driver got totaled monday....

Jason

Finally changed my sending unit today.

I've been driving it around to run the fuel level down so the tank wouldn't be so heavy when I dropped it. Just before I started looking around for the tank strap bolts I thought I would pull the carpet out of the trunk and take a look.

OH JOY! AN ACCESS HATCH!

I had set aside about three hours to do the job. It took fifteen minutes. Most of that time was spent pulling the old sender out. Now I can see why these things fail. My new sender is a completely different design, pretty much a conventional rotory rheostat like all other fuel senders. The original is a funky linear type with the contacts right on the float.

Problem solved. Thanks guys.

Now to tackle that dang timing belt.