HybridZ

Whats the Fastest you've Taken it? (is there a story behind it) (Video mounted in Z?)

240ZR

The ZX speedos (at least in almost all the NA cars i've seen) only go to 85. But I've gottento 5k in 5th on oem suspention and no front sway bar (bushings are dead so it hangs dangerously low). I would have taken it higher that night but I didn't trust the motor at those loads, seeing as it's completly untouched to me and I don't know what kinda abuse it had before me. But the car felt great over smooth roads. It definately had a good amount of lift, but it wasn't unmanagable.

But I've scared myself much more going 70 recently. VERY high winds night and my car was all over the place. At some points I was down to 50 on the freeway because of sidewinds.

But I'd say average top speed for everyday driving is probly about 85-90 for me. But that's not abnormal around here. Get on the freeway during light traffic and the fast lane will be going at least 75-80.

I'm trying to cut down on my top speeds, becuase that's what kills people SO easily. If you crash and hit anything stationary your lucky to survive. But I try to fallow standard autobahn rules when I drive. 1) Don't hang out in the fast lane. 2) Don't pass on the right. I try to never tail gate, but it's a must sometimes in heavy traffic. But even then I'll try to make room in front of me when I can. I also will only pass on the right if I can get two lanes right of the person, or can make sure they know I'm passing (even then I watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't forget I'm there).

But even the best rules in the world don't make you safe. I'd like to echo the take it to the track policy. I'd much sooner pay a speeding ticket than any other ticket, simply becuase the speed laws make sence. I'm not saying I don't wish we had german speed laws, but thier system is way different. Under OUR road laws the speed laws make sence.

One day, while driving on a closed circuit, I passed a Corvette then waited. I took off again and dusted the vette. HOWEVER, this was when I had a sbc Z with a 700R4. Many are aware of the shifting issue unless they have a Wide Open Throttle shifting valve. So at 130 mph, my car would not shift out of 3rd gear with my foot on the gas. The vette passed me. I told the story for about 5 years until one day I met a guy at a car lot. He began to tell me how fast those Z cars were. He told me about a day that a Z blew his doors off and he only was able to pass it on top end. He said he had been telling the same story from the other POV for about 5 years. kinda funny.

BTW at 130 my Z was very light in the front end.

BTW at 130 my Z was very light in the front end.

Yes. And every post above yours that says something similar to it being 'scary' around those speeds is correct. As much as I care to "moderate," I have to take issue with those that say they have been over 135 in a relative stock Z car. Z's are by design pitifully unaerodynamic and it takes GOBS of horsepower to push it into the high mph zone. They get light and scary at speed and without some serious aero mods, someone could kill themselves...

Just my $.02

Davy