HybridZ

Diff choice

SpawN

Hi Guys,

Im currently building a 240z and i am currently fixated on the rear end. At present the powerplant for the z is going to be a custom RB30DET (Australian r31 RB30e block and a rb26dett head) which is going to be mated to a R34 GTT gear box.... this is where my problem comes in. I want to use a s13/14/15 automatic r200 diff which has a 3.9.1 ratio. The reason i want to use this specific diff is for the ease of which LSD's are obtained and the main reason is because the rb30det makes the 1st and 2nd gear near on unusable with the skyline diffs (they have ratios of 4.11 i believe) which is what my other option was. So i was wondering if anyone has had any experiance with sticking a short nose r200 diff in a 240. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Mate, you're just gonna get told off for not searching so I'll give you a hint. Search for R230 or Q45 or even just 'short nose' and you'll come up trumps.

I'm in a very slow process of installing the same diff (S13 3.9:1) fitted with an S15 Torsen LSD. Check out this thread for my long winded road of discovery:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101723

Basically the tasks you've got to deal with are

1) Rear mount - standard R200 moustache bar will do.

2) Front mount - some ingenuity needed here!

3) CV axles - more ingenuity depending on the type of LSD centre used, which effects the type of output stub shaft.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Rob

What sort of power are you looking at? 500whp using a GT35R turbo?

Anyway my point is if you are going that way power wise the extra weight of a multi link rear cradle setup becomes less of an issue. And it has been done and discussed here before.

Of course with the multi link rear suspension the stock front suspension then is more likely to show up as inadequate. So you may want to think about a full transplant there as well. It definately pays to look ahead and try to forsee and plan for other upgrades when doing a big power upgrade project.

Hmm had a look at the search results and it hasnt really bought up anything that goes into it? I tried "Irs swap" and "IRS". What model car would the irs be coming from?

Also i believe the R230 diffs came from the v8 infinti's right?

I was looking to get the arizona z car road race strut assemblies as they seem to have been designed pretty well, only thing that troubles me with them is the inability to use a mechanical handbrake. Anyways with that said i would like to see how much work it is to do the whole IRS swap and if any one has experianced any serious gains compared to the aformentioned strut assemblies.

Hmm had a look at the search results and it hasnt really bought up anything that goes into it? I tried "Irs swap" and "IRS". What model car would the irs be coming from?

Have you looked under your Z? It has IRS. The Z's all have IRS. So that's not likely to be a prominently mentioned item in the search function. You'll get a lot more from "diff swap" or "r180" or "r200" or "r230". "Straight axle" would hit big, because that would be different than what is in the car now.

R230's are the "9" Ford third member" of the import world. Darn near bullet proof. The ratios I have found for them are depending on the vehicle they came in, which is a very short list, although I hear a rumor it is available in the new Pathfinder:

Nissan Armada : 2.97, 3.36

'89-'99 (worldwide) Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo : 3.69

260det - Im aiming at 600atwhp. Doing alot of work to the engine so im hoping it will have more in it than that but ill be happy when it hits that mark.

Had a look at the 240sx irs swap and it looks like a goer to me with either the r200 or the r230. Considering how cheap s13s are here now it would actually work out to be far cheaper to buy a s13 donor car rather than buying the arizonaZ sports struts then paying the massive shipping fees to get them here and it will unlock alot of suspension options.

Also found that Kaaz, Cusco, ATS and a bunch of other places make 2 way and 1.5 way lsds for the 300zx tt R230 so after market support isnt too bad.

My 'secret' project is a two seat S130 with a full S14 front/rear suspension swap, Xmember/cradle, the lot. Brake and wheel options alone make it worthwhile.

And with 500whp from a VG30DET......... :) R200 diff should do mine, circuit work, no drags.

Yeah i know the r200 is strong but if i can get something that is stronger i will because mine will be used for a bit of everything including drag and the odd frustration vent at the skid pan/back road. So with that said if i can get a R230 then i reckon ill do it just so i know its going to take a far bit of work to bust it.

It will also take a fair amount of work to mount it as well. Remember the R230 is a short nose housing so the front mount has to be fabricated, and the mustache bar is either custom or a redrilled R200, not to mention it is wider...

Are used Holden Monaro parts very common where you chaps live? There maybe a possiblility of a shared shipping trade for parts in the near future if there are... I may need some AU half-shafts for my project.

As in the new models? 2002+ish? If so not sure on that one 260DET might be able to help as he is in one of the bigger places in aus. That said i reckon you would near on be able to get stronger ones made for the price the wreckers over here will charge :(

Just wanted to let you guys know that I recently emailed Ross at MM, and he said that they will be making a mounting kit for the R230 from the 300zxtt. I hopeing that it comes out soon since I got 2 R230 and 4 cv shafts sitting in my garage right now.

Figured that this might be a good option for people that don't have the skills or time to make their own mounting setup.

El