HybridZ

Any ideas on how to manage boost creep?

Thumper

Without going with an external wastegate that is.:mrgreen:

73turbo240z and I are having problems with boost creep. We are running the holset hy35w with an internal wastegate, megasquirt ecu, and a profec-b electronic boost controller. The turbo was designed for a 5.9l diesel running 18psi stock. We want it to run 12-18psi on a 2.8l. We have enlarged the internal wastegate hole twice its normal size and shortened the flap arm so that the flap opens further from the same amount of movement by the actuator. Any other tips either mechanical or tuning that might help us controll the boost creep? We would rather not have to upgrade to external wastegate. Any other thoughts? Thanks

I'm surprised you're have that problem. On my 2.3 Ford all that's been done to the Hy-35 is enlarging the hole and mine holds steady. One of our local 2.3 guys runs an HX-35 and his holds steady too. I have heard tho of some of the Turboford.org guys cutting a hole in the flange to allow the flapper arm to move even more. Could thre be a hole in the hose to the wastegate or even the actuator diaphragm? BTW if you should decide to go with an external gate, the same guy makes some internal wastgate blockoff flanges that are very nice. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Holset-HX-35W-HY-35W-turbo-waste-gate-blockoff-flange_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33634QQitemZ8038941622QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I have put compressed air into the lines and every thing moves as it should. The lines are less than 6 inches total. 4" going from manifold to boost solenoid, then 2" going from solenoid to the actuator. Both hoses are brand new do not leak. It does not spike before it starts to creep.

Ngrimm, What do you mean that they cut a hole in the flange? Thanks

Thumps..

here's a Holset turbo FAQ from Dodge..

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm

boost creep is so hard to fix.. with an internal gate..

other than porting the hole, maybe upgrading the wastegate puck.. i dunno

CREEP is when the turbo produces soo much air, even with the wastegate fully open, it still creates backpressure and spools the turbo more than you wish.

# Normal boost rise when set to 13 psi = shoots up to 14, then 13, 13, 13...

# Spiking = shoots up to 16, then 15, 14, 13, 13, 13...

# Boost creep = shoots up to 14, then 13, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17...

# Spiking and boost creep = shoots up to 16, then 15, 14, 13, 14, 15, 16,17...

FROM DSM.org

The general solution to this problem is to portthe oxygen sensor housing, turbine housing and/or wastegate to allow themto dump more air. Otherwise minor malfunctions of the wastegate mayalso exhibit themselves as boost creep

Here is a reply from the one of the first Turboford guys that I know of to run a Holset on a 2.3. " Port the heck out of the wastegate hole and short side radius just like you would porting a head. Now it will pretty much hold any bost level I set it at and only creep 1 or so pounds of boost towards the upper rpm range." Also he cut into the flange where the flappper hits to allow it open farther. If you cut thru you can weld a cap of some sort over it. Hope that makes sense. Norm

Your problem is I think caused by petrol burning a lot hotter than diesel. Thus 2.8L @ 1000F is a lot more pressure than 5.9L @ whateverF. What dump-pipe are you running?

You need to make one that has the wastegate dump seperate to the main turbine outlet. You can then dump it to atmosphere if you want, or plumb it back into the exhaust a little while later.

Dave

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright i'm gonna jump in on this one... listing all phases of mods we've done, and the reactions they have had. All history listed is based of my personal engine/turbo setup.

Phase 1: All parts installed initially, ceramic coated manifold, ceramic coated exhaust housing, 4.5" to 3.75" holset transition, to 3.75" to 3" custom fabricated transition. 83' zxt Actuator handling the boost, with a threaded end welded on for adjustment, vacuum line run from actuator to intake manifold, 4.5" approx length. Exhaust dumping @ 3" diameter under the the car near driver seat. Mild porting had been done the wastegate port prior to ceramic coating.

In phase 1 we had rediculous boost creep, the longer i stayed in it, the higher the boost went. Plain and simple, it was creeping so fast that i was having to short shift to keep it off the 20psi boost cut defense we'd setup in MSnS-E.

We determined more porting was needed when we unhooked the puck and left it wide open yet i was still able to build boost.

Phase 2: Same as above, except we pull the exhaust housing, report the hole as big as we can go, we install a full 3" straight pipe exhaust to the tail...

In phase 2 we suceeded in taming it more, what once was a wild ride of insane creep now is tamed, and manageable, i can go up to 90% throttle engagement without causing it to creep in third and fourth, pedal it in any more and it will climb.

Phase 3:

Here is where were getting experimental, we've halfed the length of the actuator side swingarm on Thumpers turbo, and it has an equally insane porting job as well, however he still creeps.

I've loosened my actuator rod 1 turn, to where it feels like i have a micro amount of play in it, which i'm not thrilled about since that will cost me spool time if that puck is sitting open a pinch. I've yet to drive it since i'm still waiting for my new wheels to arrive. So we'll see if that solves it.

I think I know your problem, I had the same, now that you have mentioned all that you have done.

I used the same ZXT acuator, when I purchased my T3/TO4E, just because it was easier.

Well I adapted the MUCH larger actuator that I had gotten with the Garret unit that I had bought almost stopped all of the creep that I had.

You may want to get yourself a new actuator.

With a Hallman BC, I just get a tiny bit of spike at times, maybe 2#

the dual port will allow two vacuum sources..

The stock Nissan T3 shows a great example of this...

two ports out of the turbo

4014504828.jpg

One port in the beginning of the compressor housing, and one right at the end of the housing..

the two different vacuum sources will be applied into the wastegate diaphram for a more "controlled" diaphram expansion and contraction..

my educated assumption

anyway..

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-FTG-010&Category_Code=BCS

quicktap1_450.jpg

quicktap4_450.jpg

A boost pressure source near the compressor housing is critical for proper boost control, however, removing the compressor housing from the turbo to tap it for a pressure signal fitting can be a real chore...especially when the turbo is already mounted to the engine.

Each QuickTap kit includes all parts necessary to easily create a reliable boost pressure port on the first silicone connector out of the turbo compressor outlet. Our QuickTap kit features 100% of the functionality and reliability of a fitting on the compressor housing without the hassle of drilling and tapping the housing itself.