HybridZ

Gas Tank

Billy Ryan

Why go to all the trouble of adding baffles to the sump? All I did was to drill 2 x 1" holes in the bottom of the tank in the center of the area covered by the sump, this will allow the fuel to enter, but not allow it to escape!:icon44:

seems like a better idea, that sump looks like it weighs alot less too. but i would drill two 1" holes in the top as well because if you ever did get below 1/4 tank or whatever if the fuel does slosh around (just by mishap) when the fuel displaces from the bottom its likely to slash against the top, forcing it to run down the welded in baffle, thus creating a even more "anti-fuel starvation" tank....just a thought.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why go to all the trouble of adding baffles to the sump? All I did was to drill 2 x 1" holes in the bottom of the tank in the center of the area covered by the sump, this will allow the fuel to enter, but not allow it to escape!:icon44:

Yeah, I was reading the instructions that came with the sump and it said to weld a few small holes (about 1"ish on the bottom of the tank). I did not get the sump yet by the way. But the extra welding of the plate would add to the "extra safety" or one of those "just in case" things. It really only has to be tack welded in a couple of spots, no biggie really. The area of that sump is pretty large and looks like it could use it.

I know this post is a little old but. The weld to the bottom sumps will have starvation in corners. In a stock type baffled tank setup the return line feeds the baffle/trap were the pump is. In a turn very little fuel by the motor and the and the remainder is fed back to the pump in it's baffle. With that weld on sump the returned fuel is just dumped back in the tank, not to the pump inlet. It would only take a second to use what little fuel is trapped in the sump that hasn't sloshed to the side of the tank and then it would pull air. This is assuming the car is hard in a corner and isn't running full of fuel. The intank pumps with baffle is the best design, that's why every car maker uses it. Z31 and MKIII's have great doner tank to get the baffles and pump hangers out of and Walbro pumps are about $90. The link pparaska put up would be good too. With an intank setup I can autocross with 3 gallons and not have any problems with fuel pickup.

Thanks, Clifton. That's ANOTHER good reason to look at putting an in-tank pump in the tank WITH a sump around it, like I posted about above in this thread. But it doesn't have the bling factor, hanging out of the bottom of the tank for everyone to see, so I guess it won't be too popular.

Thanks, Clifton. That's ANOTHER good reason to look at putting an in-tank pump in the tank WITH a sump around it, like I posted about above in this thread. But it doesn't have the bling factor, hanging out of the bottom of the tank for everyone to see, so I guess it won't be too popular.

In my opinion, the bling factor for a fuel tank is in the fuel cell. I guess it just seems like a lot of trouble to mod the stock fuel tank for something like this. If you mod the stock tank, might as well do an easy mod (for me would be the external sump).

I truly like your idea of the intake pump and stuff, but that skill level is out of my reach. :(

I used to run an external surge tank which was filled by the stock fuel pump, this worked great, but here in Australia when the temp was above 38C (100F) the fuel returning to the surge tank from the engine was HOT and continually being pumped back to the engine and after 15~20 mins of driving, the fuel in this surge tank would boil and the engine cut out (not what you want when you need the A/C to keep cool). I would have to wait about 15 min before I could resume the trip.

Since fitting the new sump this problem has disappeared, my sump holds about 2 liter (about ½ US Gallon) and with the 2 holes drilled in the bottom of the tank above the sump once the fuel has filled it there is no way that the fuel can escape when cornering

tanksump.jpg

In my opinion' date=' the bling factor for a fuel tank is in the fuel cell. I guess it just seems like a lot of trouble to mod the stock fuel tank for something like this. If you mod the stock tank, might as well do an easy mod (for me would be the external sump).

I truly like your idea of the intake pump and stuff, but that skill level is out of my reach. :([/quote']

It really isn't that hard of a mod. Couple hours of work.

Well is the great state of NJ has shattered my dreams I'll be only doing the basics on my fuel system. Stock tank no mods, and a Walbro pump.

On the plus side I found a real POS of a 280Z to get some parts from. The only piece of metal on the entire car with no rust on it is the tank. The poor Z is so shot, the the only sheet metal worth salvaging is the hood. (Not original to the car) If I end up getting it, let me know if there is anything that you guys might want off of it. I'm taking the R200, stub axles, and A/C unit. Maybe the tank also. Everything else will be up for grabs until the salvage yard picks up the carcase.

• 1 month later...