HybridZ

1uzfe 240z

mossy74

Gollum, being you have looked into the 1UZ more, any idea on how long it is? Being it is smaller displacement than a chevey, and I have read several comments that it was designed to be a compact V8, and people rave about its smooth idle, pull, and even smooth top end... I am kinda thinking about it as a fallback option if I dont do the 2RZ. I dont like the fact that I would be dealing with a V-block instead of the I-4, but everything else about it is nice, and would be easier to get a smaller engines feel, as well as better revs for less cost.

I really wish I could tell you, and a couple of months ago I could have just gone outside and measured it as my grandfather owned a LS400 (only engine in those is the 1uz). BUT it was hit and run and consiquently totalled. Insurance company never contacted me with info as to where it was going, even though I requested the information. Oh well.

I might be able to find something for you. You can get a good look at it on http://www.1uzfe.com, here's a pic taken from his site http://1uzfe.com/100704e.jpg

I'm searching while i'm typing up this post. Here's a nice PDF with some useful info, but I don't see any block dimensions http://www.lextreme.com/Lex%20Soarer92.pdf

Ok, found something I had to register with the lextreme forums, but here it is...

====================

1. these are approximate only +/- 5mm

2. based on front-mount sump 1UZ, that is why I have taken measurements for the front using the crank centreline for a datum, and the side using the mount plate centreline as a datum.

This means all dimensions are applicable to most 1UZ variants, except of course for specific sump details.

I strongly suggest that you source a front of engine photo and side photos from the forums so you can make sense of the dimensions.

3. intended as a guide only- you should go to a wrecker/engine supplier and suss-out the whole thing before placing your order!

FRONT OF ENGINE

datum is centreline of crankshaft, with dimensions North/East/South/West of this point;

u'side of sump S 240

rh side of sump W 220

lh side of sump E 200

sides of heads E/W 335 (+50 for exhaust manifold)

top of heads N 370

u'side of alternator S 95

rh side of alternator W 290

u'side of p.steer pump N 20

rh side of p.steer pump W 360

u'side p.steer reservoir N 135

rh side p.steer reservoir W 375

top p.steer reservoir N 320

top inlet manifold N 450

LH SIDE OF ENGINE

datum is centre of engine block mount plate (not actual engine mount), with dimensions North/East/South/West of this point;

[Note that the datum is on the same horizontal plane as the crankshaft]

front of engine W 345

rear of engine E 310

front of sump W 260

rear of sump W 15

sump drain tray clearance S 175

centreline exhaust manifold outlet E 340

u'side of exhaust manifold outlet flanges S 75

RH SIDE OF ENGINE

same datum as above;

rear of alternator E 120

rear p.steer pump E 150

front p.steer reservoir E 290

rear p.steer reservoir E 200

OTHER USEFUL MEASUREMENTS

Centreline of crank to side of exhaust manifold outlet flange 310mm

============================================

Oh yea, here's the Vid that I mentioned about a S30 with a 1UZ http://www.lextreme.com/video/400.wmv

He put down 225HP with a stock motor other than a custom intake box. Really wish I could get a pic of the engine bay. Power was extremely liniar. (spelling? sorry)

hmm, sounds like approx. 26 inches, front to rear. I will go take a peak in the 240 engine bay tomorrow... I did an hour or so of reading in the 1UZFE.com site, plus links. I am impressed, I might be able to get the feel, performance, and engine position I want with the 1uz, and the cost trade-offs might be favorable as well. I like the fact that even tho its a V8, its only 4ltr, and the bore and stroke is less than the 3RZ too.... plus, I wouldnt be putting as much money and effort into lightening the drive train. Drive train is already nearly optimal, and you could probably get by with lightened turbo pistons and a light flywheel. I also like what I read about tearing down the engine, and ease of various tasks when working on it. Really, the only downer is that I would lose the inline, crossflow aspects of the 2/3RZ that had me excited. Its also cool that I could get by with 10 or 15 less PSI boost, and still be right where I want power-wise.

BTW, when I am googling, and some site wants me to register, I can often just look at the google cached page and get around that.... stumbled on some interesting conversations in the gaming world that way... = )

haha, you got me giggling about the forum comment. I wanted to register at lextreme eventually anyways.

The sad thing is that there aren't many people getting HP numbers from the 1UZ in NA applications. I personlly don't like the idea of going FI with the added weight. MAYBE a screw type SC but only because some of the weight it adds it removes from the intake.

Man issue is heads though. You probly won't ever see above the 600 range without giving your heads to a good head worker along with a wad of cash. But if you're only looking for 200-300 cheep, NA, and light HP or 400-500 affordable FI HP then it's a good choice.

But the VG30DET has got me looking at it. I can get a motor for around the same price, much better aftermarket, small & moderately light. I dunno yet. We'll see what happens once I've got cash in hand for my car. I might end up going with a 1UZ purely to be the first person I know of with one in a S130. And at the price of the motor I can buy another one down the road and have it built up so I just swap the motors.

I hope whatever engine you choose does what you want it to do ;)

Thats great, nice reference tool, thanks!

Well, the 3RZ is square bore/stroke, the 1UZ is just square. Just under 26 inches in all three dimensions. I am going to run out and do some measuring on the Z, will just require some digging... our little one car detached garage has two funtions; it shelters my Z, and it hides whatever the GF doesnt want to see....

Gollum, Ya I noticed that most of the real performers were FI... but I am anly looking for ~400hp anyway. I want to be able to drive it comfortably like a daily driver, and I am not shooting for a drag record of any type. To be honest, if I ever were to start running 1/4's, I would probably find a HP level I was comfortable with and just concentrate on handling and traction. I like the fact that people were hitting 400hp at about 10PSI or so.... that would be easy on the engine, and a little easier on the wallet.

Also not that the 1uz in the pic is front sump. Not many people like the mid sump motors, and there's a rear sump motor that came in the SC400 cars. Those are common in the US but they're still one of the harder setups to find. But they are out there if that becomes a problem.

They are using these motor a lot in speedway cars down here now. The company builing my SBC does a lot of them and he said his best engine was 525 hp at the crank. This is a na engine on a 4 barrel carb. Aparently they raise the ports a bit but have to do a lot of work on the valve train to get them to work at high revs.

Douglas

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest turdbo

its not just that but the 1uz-fe is almost bullet froof from the factory..it can hold around 1000 with stock internals..the heads arent a bad design but can be improved im actually thinking about swapping this engine into my Z also..its cheap..very boost worthy and makes power easy...with some mega squirt...custom manifold..injectors ..fuel pump and turbo and you could be set....im thinking about running a single holset turbo on my set up..but i dont know yet still debating on buy an rb20

• 3 months later...

They peterrallyman, did you happen to weight the engine at all by any chance? If you did do you know what exactly was/wasn't on the motor. All the figures on the net are a mystery as to what the mtor really weighs becuase they don't tell you what the motor had installed at the time.

I've been under the impression that a bare long block was right around 400 pounds.

Any insight?

• 3 years later...

I recently did a 1UZ-FE swap into a Nissan 240SX and it turned out very easy. I make adapter plates for just about any transmission you want to run. In this photo I have an SR20DET transmission bolted up to it. I've successfully mated together the 350Z 6-speed and the R154 5-speed all to the 1UZ-FE. I am currently working on mating together a 4-speed Dog-box for clutch-less shifting and high rev applications. the cheapiest 6-speed on the market today is the 350Z 6-speed, you can find them on Ebay for 300$ and the adapter plate that I make, makes this combo a direct bolt application.

if you guys have any questions don't hesitate to ask

my email is BrettWcollins@gmail.com

IMG_0070copy-1.jpg

CIMG0186.jpg

CIMG0071.jpg

here is a video of the car at a local drift event about a month ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/floridaracing#p/u/6/lxhM91D1oKg