HybridZ

to buy or not to buy? 1998 ls1

I found an ls1 for $2,000, includes everything`(harness, ecu, manifolds, etc) except the throttle body and accessories (dont care about those anyway...) with roughly 50,000 miles on it. the guy said the car was hit in the front and the radiator shorted out the battery. if i bring my own battery, should i be able to start the car? is $2k worth it for a reasonably low mileage engine?

It wont start without a TB, and if it did it would run lean. Not a good idea. And 2000 is the average price for a running LS1 but not a good price for that one. I'd go 1000 or 1500 max.

If you decide to get it and want to turn it over then disconect the wiring harness from the coils (1 connector on each valve cover). Then see if it turns over ok.

97(vette only, 98 first year for Fbody)-99 dont have as good oil return or heads, in 00 they had updated the oil return and better heads (241 casting, but early 00 motors had the 8something heads) 01-04 had better rod bolts and LS6 intakes along with LS6 clutches.

Stay away from it... The 97-98s are the worst.. The 97 out of the Vette and the 98 out of both the vette and the Fbody are known to be less than optimal motors. For $2000 you could have a nice stroker 402 Shortblock.

Mike