HybridZ

280YZ Body Progress

speeder

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent decided on a rear spoiler yet - Am also feeling that the BRE isn't it. I'm actually thinking I will do the paint without a spoiler, and decide later.

I think the shaved rear will look more "blended" when everything is all one color. My sig pic has essentially the same proportions in that area as the new body. White gel coat,green Duraglass, raw brown fiberglass, and pink filler with dark gray primer is not the most flattering color scheme.

* my server has been a bit flaky lately - pics are working well now-

Very nice Rick.:2thumbs:

That's more work than most people will appreciate. You did a great job of fitting the headlight buckets. I know that part was a bit of work. Very clever hinge too.

Will you be bridging the gap between the tops of the cheek panels and the upper frame rails like the later VR cheek panels?

Come to the SEZ and you can get up close and personal with it. Trust me, pics does not do it justice, especially the small detailed craftmanship and the fact that the one-piece front-end you see was not originall one-piece and some of the pieces were made from scratch.

I'm already planning on getting there whether i kick bite or scratch or kill to do so!! this is one of many cars i look forward to seeing!

BTW i got to touch your old roll cage, scottie. ^_^

Very nice Rick.:2thumbs:

That's more work than most people will appreciate. You did a great job of fitting the headlight buckets. I know that part was a bit of work. Very clever hinge too.

Will you be bridging the gap between the tops of the cheek panels and the upper frame rails like the later VR cheek panels?

Dan, That's a meaningful compliment from a man who's been there. Your car was an inspiration for my project. After doing the original one-piece front and flare job 10 years ago, I swore I would NEVER do another large fiberglass job, and now I'm reminded why. This one is probably an order of magnitude more difficult.

I have the VR Cheek Panels but they will require extensive reshaping to install. Lots of interference with the YZ fenders. If I do bridge that gap, I'll do it later, and probably go ahead and redo the VR cheeks rather than try to build something from scratch. Whatever, I'll make them bolt-on pieces.

The Z's unibody under the fenders sure is ugly, but that open area is nice for access. The previous body didn't have any panels there, and had rubber strips along the top of the unibody rails to prevent splash.

Hey EvilRufusKay, You catching this? What'cha think?

Ah, so you did buy the VR cheek panels. That's why you won the R.R. Diversity Award.:wink:

I'm sure you know this but just a reminder for others, be sure you put something there to protect the underside of your fenders from small rocks kicked up from the tires. Without some protection you'll get little star cracks in the paint on the tops of those big wide fenders.

So those are the yz fenders, they dont look like the yz fenders ive seen before. I really like them, maybe im thinking zg, whatever they are they look awesome wish my "glassin" skills were up to that level. Is the duraglass you are using to bong these to your car sandable, or do you use body filler on the seem?

Light

I'm sure you know this but just a reminder for others, be sure you put something there to protect the underside of your fenders from small rocks kicked up from the tires. Without some protection you'll get little star cracks in the paint on the tops of those big wide fenders.

Yeah Dan I still have to do something about this - Will probably bite the bullet and dive back into the fiberglass to make those pesky cheek panels into properly fitting inner fenders.

My old one-piece front didn't have inner liners but had a thick coat of truck bed liner on the inside/top portion of the fender sections over the wheels. This was effective in preventing the flying debris damage.

Lighft01, The Duraglass is strong and sandable, but has a rather coarse texture that isn't good for final finishing. I have used Duraglass to fill in major voids and irregularities in the fiberglass, especially where I've connected the major panels, then will use a high quality body filler for the finish smoothing and blending.

The normal 280YZ body kit install is not for the faint-hearted - and making the front one-piece with Z-car headlight buckets makes it a much bigger job.

The gas cap is the famous "LeMans Filler Cap", a piece sported by several classic sportscars, among them the Ferrari GTO and Shelby Cobra, back in the 60's.

I installed mine in the fberglass recess supplied by Reaction research (Part of their Vella Rossa kit) which was molded into the 280YZ rear quarter. The LeMans filler is just a door covering a capless filler tube(has a spring-loaded door) on a custom made tube. i don't have pictures but will try to remember to take some when it's in final assembly.

Dan Juday's LeMans filler was so attractive to me that I shamelessly copied the install with his helpful advice.

The filler cap itself also was supplied by Reaction Research.

• 2 weeks later...

Im so jealous right now. That is a BEAUTIFUL job! I was and still am thinking about YZ rear flares for the same reason as you, to fit in some big ole drag radials when I go to the track. I wonder hwo the kit would look with the stock front end and YZ rear?

Yes, let's see some more pictures. I was thinking the other day how nice it would be to do a flip front end, I guess I'm not the only one. I don't suppose you'd be interested in popping a mold would you? Nevermind, I can't even begin to afford the kit, let alone the labor to make a mold and lay a whole NEW kit. Very nice.

The car is uniformly dark colored now - in gray pimer, block sanding has begun. Looks really good. The multicolored front with the dark rear (before priming) made the proportions wierd visually.

I'm taking it to the SEZS Saturday-Sunday so there will probably be some pictures from there.

Regardless, I'll post some next week. We will paint in the next couple weeks. I really can't wait to replace that sig picture!