HybridZ

porshce 944 engine in a z...

olie05

Nice... I wouldn't have thought the hatch would close. Who says you cant lug stuff around in a sports car?

Does anyone acctually have a porsche engine installed in their Z? I am trying to convince the owner of 14 flat sixes to give up a couple. If I can pry them away from him I want to put one in the Z, if that happens I'll have plenty more questions.

Nice... I wouldn't have thought the hatch would close. Who says you cant lug stuff around in a sports car?

Does anyone acctually have a porsche engine installed in their Z? I am trying to convince the owner of 14 flat sixes to give up a couple. If I can pry them away from him I want to put one in the Z' date=' if that happens I'll have plenty more questions.[/quote']

Are you thinking rear mounted or front mounted?

I think rear may be possible, but given the length of the 911 behind the wheels, the engine would either be hangin out of the body work, or being hidden by extensive body work...

in the front, the frame rails are probably too narrow.

Are you thinking rear mounted or front mounted?

I think rear may be possible' date=' but given the length of the 911 behind the wheels, the engine would either be hangin out of the body work, or being hidden by extensive body work...

in the front, the frame rails are probably too narrow.[/quote']

I want to do front mounted with an adapter plate to the stock trans, I'd like to use a T56 but I dont have that kind of money so I'll stick with the 280zx 5 speed that I already have. I havn't been able to get any measurements yet, but I think the engine will sit between the frame rails, just barely. By eyeball, it looks pretty darn close. The major problem I see with this swap is the steering, It will have to go up and over the engine, but that means I have to set the engine back and down to fit it. Its a pretty long engine so I dont know how that will work yet. I think I'll just focus on getting the engines before I worry about the details.

I love Porsches, but have you guys priced engine parts $$$$$$$??

It would be a fun & cool modification, but for the cost of buying and rebuilding a Porsche flat six NA, you could probably get an RB26DETT that's ready to drop in.

I dunno about the 944 or 928 engines, maybe the parts a little cheaper, but I doubt it.

I've always wanted a 911, and everytime I see a fixxer upper for sale in my area, I start pricing parts, and I quickly come to my senses.

I love Porsches' date=' but have you guys priced engine parts $$$$$$$??

It would be a fun & cool modification, but for the cost of buying and rebuilding a Porsche flat six NA, you could probably get an RB26DETT that's ready to drop in.

I dunno about the 944 or 928 engines, maybe the parts a little cheaper, but I doubt it.

[/quote']

yeah, a water pump for the 944 engine cost about $400 brand new (to give you an idea). 928 seem to be even more rare and more pricey.

I never said they are porsche engines... Although new parts for what I'm looking aren't much cheaper.

Any idea how much your buddy paid for the 944 engine?

he got it in a lot along with a parts car, but they normally go for around $300 around here... thats a bare engine with no manifolds or anything on it. I would consider this swap a big downgrade from the l28. the engine of choice from the 944 would be the 3.0L I4 16v and DOHC from the "944S" model. I think they are rated at or around 250hp, N/A.

...are the flat 6's subaru's?

Guys,

The 911 motors are highly over-rated. I own both a 944 and a 911. I put a 400hp in the back of my 911 after doing a 930 turbo widebody conversion. (4 bolt main, camel hump heads, Edelbrock performer, MSD, roller rockers and a lot more. It is so much better than it ever was with the 180hp 911SC 3.0 motor. I wanted to upload some pics but can't remember how to do it. I have a ton to show if anyone is interested.

James: go to photobucket.com and register an account. it takes all of five seconds. then click the "browse" button and find the picture(s) on your hardrive and upload them to your photobucket. then from there, the pictures will have individual URLs that you can post anywhere :]