HybridZ

Woohoo! I just picked up my L28et!

I just started on my life long ( I hope not :-P ) project on my Turbo Swap for my '75 280. It's a '81, but unfortunately I got it out of a wrecked car, and it was already pulled, which means DEAD engine harness and destroyed hoses and maybe some bad sensors.... But that just means a bit more to replace. LOL. I've got a lot of work to do on it.

I'm really looking at doing the build correctly, even if it takes longer because of the price increases. I am looking at trying to get a good 300-350whp, with emphasis on the 350. :)

I'll post some pictures of my first day with my new engine.

I was just hoping to get a little bit of input about what you guys think would be a good start to get me to my goal. I was planning on the standard T3/T04 turbo, MSnS, 60mm throttle body, Isuzu NPR medium intercooler, 2.5" custom downpipe. I haven't decided which injectors I am going to go with and the fuel rail (if required).

Anyway, what ever input you guys can offer would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Cameron

75 280z Pearlescent White

(L28ET Build-up In Progress)

5-speed

Tokico Illumina Lowering Kit

Strut Braces & Sway Bars

Ahh good point on the 2.5" down pipe. I figured 2.5" was low, but the sticky said it should be fine.... so I didn't know. But I always thought 3" would be better, so 3" it is!

and 3" exhaust is a MUST, I agree completely.

Any input on how large we think the injectors should be to accomplish this task? 5??cc - sound about right?

Guest 73Turbo240z
Ahh good point on the 2.5" down pipe. I figured 2.5" was low' date=' but the sticky said it should be fine.... so I didn't know. But I always thought 3" would be better, so 3" it is!

and 3" exhaust is a MUST, I agree completely.

Any input on how large we think the injectors should be to accomplish this task? 5??cc - sound about right?[/quote']

440cc injectors will get you there, and your stock rail should be hocked in favor of somthing else, be it pallnet or jsk units... PM me if you want to do it the quick and easy way as i have a 440cc/JSK rail setup availible that i could sell.

The size of the exhaust is more important the closer you are to the turbocharger.

If you have a 2.5" dumppipe you are wasting your time/money going bigger afterwards.

If you're budget limited, get 3" as far as you can afford then step down to 2.5. By that time the gas will have cooled some what and be occupying less space, so a 2.5 should be adequate.

Dave

Ahh Thanks Dave. That's a good point, but I really really want to do this build up correct. I'm going to try to dump at least 1k / month from here on into the project until its done. But as we all know, sometimes this type of project can get extremely expensive.

73Turbo240 - My understanding on it (even though it is limited) is that the 440ccs will get me to my goal but they would be pretty maxed out. And I would rather go a little larger so I have room for improvement later without need of replacing quite as much. Is this correct or am I way off?

No reason why a 350hp goal should break the bank too much cameron. Are you planning on doing an engine rebuild? Does the motor run? My suggeston would be a stock rebuild, MS, T3/T4, arp head studs, ect... and take it straight to the dyno for tuning.

The more research you do before making purchases the more you will save. I spent maybe 1500 bucks in stupid errors. Try and copy someone's plan and you will have a powerful car without having spent too much.

If you are looking for injectors cheap, try and find some old Ford LTD or Lincoln town cars with throttle body style injection. The TBI units have two injectors mounted in them (yes you need to locate 3 parts cars) Remove 6 injectors from 3 different cars and you have 480cc injectors that basically pop right in. When looking at different cars, just make sure the numbers are the same. The ones I use have 400 for the last 3 digits.

Also, read Afshin's sticky post on the z31 ecu/maf swap. You may want to consider that as a ecu upgrade or msNs as some cheap alternatives.

No reason why a 350hp goal should break the bank too much cameron. Are you planning on doing an engine rebuild? Does the motor run? My suggeston would be a stock rebuild' date=' MS, T3/T4, arp head studs, ect... and take it straight to the dyno for tuning.

The more research you do before making purchases the more you will save. I spent maybe 1500 bucks in stupid errors. Try and copy someone's plan and you will have a powerful car without having spent too much.[/quote']

Yes I agree completely on the research. I honestly do not know if the engine runs, because it was so badly beaten to **** when I picked it up. Block, manifolds and heads look fine, but all of the hoses were cut and the wiring harness was destroyed. I'm finishing my tear down this weekend (I HOPE!) and am going to have the head inspected, and the block rebuilt. So after replacing the broken parts/sensors, I don't see a reason I will have a problem as long as the heads and block check out.

I really want to not just make it a build that acheives my power requirement but also does it "right", this car is my daily driver and I don't want to sacrifice much reliability with it. I just want it to be a GAS to drive and ... well kicking the crap out of a friends Evo 8 would be a plus. :icon10: I'm reading Corky's book currently, so I have quite a bit to learn, and realize that. I was planning on the minimum that you mentioned above, but was considering fabricating an external wastegate/turbo flange. Similar to another on this site, but can't find it at the moment. It uses a spacer which mounts onto the OEM mount point, and then has a side for the turbo and side for the wastegate. It seemed like a pretty good design to me, and would easily allow the full T4, which could be fun.

I am definately planning on upgrading the Fuel Rail, but haven't decided which one, or which injectors to go with it yet. But again, I don't mind if it costs a little more, that just means that takes a little longer to build up. But I definately want the power, and would love it to have that power running the lower boost of a T4. But I think that brings me into the "less charted" territory.

Well now your're complicating things. You can make 350hp without a full T4 with an internally gated turbo, but it's your decision. Also you will have to take the risk of welding a larger flange to cast. Clifton hasn't had a problem so far, but just something to think of. I decided not to do it. I just machined out the T3 housing instead. I am running an external wg though.

If you've got the budget for it, I don't see why you would bother with older style turbochargers. Newer ball-bearings don't really have any disadvantages aside from the cost. Just my opinion I guess, but I can't see the performance, or reliability of newer turbos (talking primarily Garrett here) being worse.

Can get some quite large internally wastegated Garrett turbochargers, more than enough for 350usrwhp.

Dave