HybridZ

Ripped out the dash, new alum dash just for SEZ

dr_hunt

Got tired of the old cracked dash, ripped it out, fabbed a quickie dash with aluminum sheet just in time for SEZ. Was going to paint it but the body has too much bondo on it to mess with. So, it's a good thing that Desert dog located the 260z in Alb., since it has nice parts on it that'll bolt right on.

Those old dashes are kind of heavy, I'd bet I shaved 20 pounds off the car!

I guess now that it's all done I can do that here pretty soon. Yeah, putting in a cage legal for NHRA pretty much screwed the already badly cracked dash. In fact I cut holes in it for the forward bars to go through the dash and down to the floor in hopes of retaining the dash for a more "street" look. But while racing it the last time the tach fell out of the dash to the inside and it quit working after that. Besides, I didn't like looking at my feet to see when to shift. So, after buying a new tach, I got to looking at the mounting and I just decided to rip it all out and build new.

I used 1/2 inch square tubing between the cage bars and put a flat piece of aluminum with the right curve to fit just under the windshield rubber seal and be flat. Then I angled a piece of thicker aluminum plate to mount the gauges in. It comes down to the steering column level only and angles up towards the roll cage bar from the steering column, about the same on both sides. Made getting in and out alot easier IMO.

It's not real pretty, but it'll work. I was going to brush the plate and give it that nice brushed finish, but I just don't have the time.

I'll post pics later this week

Oh, the technically challenged will never end in their relentless ability to piss off those that are in the know. I'm sorry.

Bigger, hang on, I'll take another pic.

What is it to post the actual pic instead of a link wasn't it something like [image] pic [image] or something like that?