HybridZ

Finally, some progress on Ugly

zeeboost

Well, that's the name of my '77 280z. She's been in paint jail for a long time now, but I can finally see some light at the end of the tunnel. This weekend, my friend and I sanded everything down with 80 grit. The bondo is pretty self explanatory...anyways, primered it, resanded with 180 grit, primered again, and called it quits. All that remains is to sand it down again with 400, do some minor touchups and other body modifications, and she'll be ready for the sprayer.

*Warning: several pictures of pointless bodywork progress on a 2+2*

Lotsa fun with the bondo bucket:

zeeboost1-uglyz2.JPG

zeeboost1-uglyz3.JPG

And after sanding down with 180

zeeboost1-UglyZ_0003.jpg

zeeboost1-UglyZ_0002.jpg

zeeboost1-UglyZ_0001.jpg

Talk about a lot of sweat and blood (damn license plate bracket) going into that car -- yes, I realize I'm polishing a turd, but for some reason, the girlfriend wants it, so at least it's an excuse to have another Z in the family.

• 5 months later...

Well, I was able to make a little more progress this last weekend. I removed the window frames, windows, door handles, did some more prep work, and started a couple of the modifications on the list. All that's left is to sand over with 400 grit, finish the modifications on the list, and paint it...should be about another 8-12 hours of work ahead. Fender look any different to you? :-)

zeeboost1-uglys_fender.jpg

• 7 months later...

Well, I had some more free time last weekend, here's a quick recap: Sanding, priming, spraying :-)

Got the door jams so far: The paint is actually a deep blue color, but the flash really lit it up. I took some without the flash, but they may be too dark to really see the color. If you have an LCD monitor, you should be able to make it out.

shinybluerear.jpg

realbluerear.jpg

doorjams.jpg

There are a few small fisheyes here and there, but most will be hidden anyways. Motivation, rising, rising...

Nice color

<------ se just finished mine couple weeks ago still puttin her back together:mrgreen:

now if ya steal my silver striping idea, Ill have to get revenge.

PS

Be careful. The blue I used was a 2 stage. I later found it went on lighter than I thought. When done I have a fender and a few other spots that are translucent and will need touched up. The blue is rich and great but it took 1 3/4 gal color to cover and not show the white sealer under it. Wierd. Very translucent color I chose.

The color is the Ford Sonic Blue. It's the deep blue (with almost a hint of purple with the right lighting) that you see on the later model Focus, Mustang, and Rangers. It may be on a few others, but these three are the only one's I've seen. A few months ago I was driving a Mustang that had this color:

huebert.jpg

New2TheZ2006 - You'll be happy, because I won't be running silver stripes. I'm planning on blue with a black accent, like black hood vents and a black spoiler. Instead of black hood vents, I may paint the hood black instead - I'm thinking about it. The fender vents are a tossup right now, I could go either way. I'll wait until later to decide on that.