HybridZ

Jay Eitel's V-12 'Jaguair' Corvair

Boobala

• 4 weeks later...

The most complicated and least reliable engine ever in the only car ever deemed "unsafe at any speed".

I want one! :icon51:

I worked on those Jaguar V12's I was not impressed by the performance however those little XJS jags felt kinda heavy maybe part of the problem. 5.0L V12. Poor performance, poor gas mileage, sounded like a honda, and try to do a head gasket on one then talk to me. What a nightmare. IMO

We tended to get head gasket jobs a lot (within 30k of a new car) and they overheated which caused many problems. The cars looked DEAD sexy though. I'l rather prefer a V8 in the XJS. JTR has a kit...

Owning a Jaguar, the maintenance cost is so high you end up paying the price of the car every 5 years in repairs. At least this is how it was explained to me by a few customers. Sad lot really, we got to know them personally which should say something for reliability.

I worked on those Jaguar V12's I was not impressed by the performance however those little XJS jags felt kinda heavy maybe part of the problem. 5.0L V12. Poor performance' date=' poor gas mileage, sounded like a honda, and try to do a head gasket on one then talk to me. What a nightmare. [/quote']

I believe they are a 5.3L V12.

There are two types of head gaskets on market for the Jag head. Switch brands.

As for performance … next time your near Toronto, look me up…

I love that corvair.

About those jag engines, my dad just sold his 89 xjs and we loved it every time we drove it. It wasnt particularly fast, but I can attest that the xjs and xj12 were HEAVY cars. Just from pushing ours around the driveway I can pretty confidently say that it was in the 4000lb range. The overheating thing is true enough, though I think alot of that was caused by a somewhat shoehorned engine and a very narrow front end with no significant ventilation. We loved the appearance of the car so much though. We ended up having to sell it because we knew it needed some work and we really couldnt afford to maintain the car. I was doing all of the work yet it was still costing us a fortune in parts. I see that the corvair and DOT's car have alot of the ancillary stuff removed, but I have to say, doing a plug change on that car with everything still attached was a BEOTCH. I wish we had enough time and money to throw a V8 into my father's car, as it was flawless otherwise. Oh well, I'll buy and build him one when i get outta school.

I believe they are a 5.3L V12.

There are two types of head gaskets on market for the Jag head. Switch brands.

As for performance … next time your near Toronto' date=' look me up…[/quote']

5.3? I'm not sure about what years had what sizes, I know it was closer to 5.7 for the E-type. But I may have been a little confused between BMW and JAG. Luckily for me knowing the displacement of the engines you work on is not a prerequisite or grounds for firing. Of course nothing could save the dealer from going belly up in 1993.

I love that corvair.

The overheating thing is true enough' date=' though I think alot of that was caused by a somewhat shoehorned engine and a very narrow front end with no significant ventilation. [/quote']

The cure for the over heating Jag is simple enough…however it was such a head banging session for me to get through. It 'boils' down to gasses accumulating at the top of the engine and not allowing coolant to pass through the pump. See the head gasket post to find out how the bubbles got there. If you look at the V12Z setup you can see a bleed lines coming from just before the thermostats to the surge tank on the passengers side. A return line goes to the heater return. You can see a bleed line coming from under the pressure cap on the Corvair. The V12Z rarely goes over 180.

v12.JPG

It is not uncommon to see these tanks and lines on aluminum engine cars. The most predominant ones are on Ferraris.

Engine.jpg

My apologies to Boobala for hijacking his thread.