HybridZ

L24 clutch

cobraz240z

ok I need a clutch for a 1970 240z I want it to be better than stock but not to agressive I was told that the pressure plate of a nissan truck would work but they did not mention the year or model should I use a stock 82 turbo clutch with a 2+2 flywheel I plan to have about 170hp to the wheels

Hey cobraz, If you use the 2+2/turbo flywheel you need to get the matching clutch. the coupe pressure plate wont work on the 2+2 flywheel because the dowel holes are different. The coupe pressure plate has a pressure of 550lbs. the 2+2 has a pressure of 780lbs. The Clutch plate is larger on the 2+2 more "meat" for the 240mm flywheel to grab onto. Also if you use the 2+2 flywheel you need to get the correct throwout bearing "collar". If you have the wrong size collar the clutch wont engage. I think the coupe collar is longer, or vice versa:bonk:

good luck

• 2 years later...

I was searching the forums and I think this is the info I needed.

I am putting a turbo block into my 77 280. The turbo block came out of an automatic. It looks like I need to get the larger 2+2 or turbo flywheel, clutch, throwout bering. OR? can I use the smaller flywheel off my N/A and old clutch and throwout bering? Will the smaller size work with the turbo block if the whole old assembly is used?

Just go out and get the turbo flywheel, ebay $50 read to bolt on, it should be a 250mm clutch surface where as the smaller flywheels are 225mm. Then search for XTD clutches I think it is. They make ceramic puck clutches which comes with clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, bushing, and alignment tool. The clutch was $110 or something like that shipped to my house. :] With those low prices, I say just go with the bigger flywheel and that clutch to avoid any mishaps. With the bigger flywheel you can also use the old clutch because the old clutch is a 225mm but the flywheel is 250mm so you know... However I don't know if the bigger flywheel will work in a 4speed tranny. I know if you want to run a T5 you need the turbo flywheel.

Josh

thanks for the info, I will PM you my wife's cell number and you can talk to her about these low prices and how I should just go for it, JK. I am actually really lucky my wife loves the Z as much as I do.

In all seriousness thanks for the write-up on the whole assembly and the clutch recommendation

Mike

Then search for XTD clutches I think it is. They make ceramic puck clutches which comes with clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, bushing, and alignment tool. The clutch was $110 or something like that shipped to my house. :]

XTD clutches have a horrible, horrible and I can't stress this enough, horrible reputation. Do a little search for reviews and comparisons on google (not here on hybrid) and read a little bit about them. Basically they are crappiest of crappy materials and they just spray paint chinese OEM pressure plates red and then put a sticker over the stamp of whatever company actually makes them.

They may be cheap but they are junk. You don't always get what you pay for, but in this case I think you may be actually getting less than what you are paying for.

Yah I saw the pressure plate however the pedal is rather stiff and it grips well. I don't think it would do well for a turbo motor though... Holds up just fine for me!:-D

I'm going to rebuttle that.. I see he has a habit of getting stock pressure plates and spraying them. Mine was obviously cheap spray but I didn't care since you won't see it and since its been working well I guess the true test will be longevity. For $100 and a leaky tranny, I wouldn't have any problem pulling it out to change later on down the road. Others would though, and like I said the turbo dudes, if you're going to dish out the money for a nice 300-400hp motor then I'm sure you will get like an ACT or Center Force clutch...

XTD clutches have a horrible, horrible and I can't stress this enough, horrible reputation. Do a little search for reviews and comparisons on google (not here on hybrid) and read a little bit about them. Basically they are crappiest of crappy materials and they just spray paint chinese OEM pressure plates red and then put a sticker over the stamp of whatever company actually makes them.

They may be cheap but they are junk. You don't always get what you pay for, but in this case I think you may be actually getting less than what you are paying for.